E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > LUX E92 Question. development information inside

View Poll Results: Which Design
Design 1 - smaller easier 164 68.62%
Design 2 - hard installtion 75 31.38%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

06-18-2008, 01:52 AM   #45
jonzilla23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Titanium Silver

Option 1 for sure. It'll be nice to have something easy to install.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 03:16 AM   #46
dhan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 TiAg E92 335i

option 2. better hard the first time to enjoy the rest of the time with some super bright leds than to have it easy the first time and the rest of the time be unsatisfied (theoretically). gotta see the comparo.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #47
Saturn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

How difficult is it to just remove the entire headlight housing from the car? Would the install not be a bit simpler after that?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #48
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
No, because you are still working in the confined area of the opening to the interior of the headlight. People with big hands would have trouble accessing the interior.
      06-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #49
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
No, because you are still working in the confined area of the opening to the interior of the headlight. People with big hands would have trouble accessing the interior.
+1. the install would still take place Inside the headlight, so even if the headlight was out of the car it would be just as hard.

I hope to have pictures soon. i am using a different LED for Testing now before the real led becomes available.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #50
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep
Drives: your mom wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds82 View Post
+1. the install would still take place Inside the headlight, so even if the headlight was out of the car it would be just as hard.

I hope to have pictures soon. i am using a different LED for Testing now before the real led becomes available.
Yeah Marc! Back at it again!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #51
urnone
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 335i E92

Option one... put me down on the list..... i hate how my gp thunders look... I want i want i want If the yare as bright as lux for ...or brighter thats good enough for me!!
Mods: Painted Reflectors, GP Thunder Angels, Rear Fogs, 20% Tints, Front Aero Lip, Alarm, Black Layovers, Pearlescent Brake Handle, Debadge, ACS Roofspoiler, LED license plate, 6000k HID & HID Fogs, LED footwell mod
Click to see my BMW plate collection

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #52
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Da Man View Post
since u are attempting to make these super bright for the day time, will the rings look distorted at night?
Quote:
Not a chance!!!
Really? the problem I've noticed with those with bright angel eyes is that the inner ring is TOO bright and the outer ring is perfect. It's not bad during the day time, but at night it just seems as if the cornering lights are on, not the angel eyes themselves (again, only referring to the inner rings). Eugh, i wish BMW didnt redesign the angel eyes. Yeah, they're easy to install/uninstall, but the end product doesn't look as good as angel eyes of the past. All we want is equal brightness... is that so much to ask?
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 11:36 AM   #53
Soni
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Just a car

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [9.00]
design 1
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #54
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soni View Post
design 1
I'll be doing testing soon. I honestly think that design 1 will look just as good as design 2... time will tell
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #55
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll be doing testing soon. I honestly think that design 1 will look just as good as design 2... time will tell
I still think that you need to prototype both versions and test them out side by side
      06-19-2008, 01:08 AM   #56
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep

Marc, I'm willing to drive up, if you need a test dummy...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 02:11 AM   #57
xpillzboyx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 328i

my opinion... people are comin to u for the brightest on the market... with that said. there are already things out similar to the easy install, low brightness design. u need to do w.e it takes to get the most lumin because thats what people are constantly complaining about on their e92... im sure longtran or someone will become a pro at installing the difficult lights and could install it for the people that cant do it on their own. just my 2 cents
|AW E90|Blacklines|Black and White Roundels|LUX 5.0|LED Front Turn Signals|LED Sidemarkers|Silver CF Overlays|Black 328 Emblem|Black Grill|LED Interior|15% Tints|19" Hyper Silver Maya STM's|Black Roof|
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 04:56 AM   #58
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

The only problem I see is that people don't want to ruin their housing. Back in the day, I did a Umnitza DDE that required baking my lights to open the housing. It never left things looking as nice as stock. I think you are in a dilemna because brightness and ease of installation are equally important. If there is no risk of damaging anything, then I think the brighter is the no brainer.

On a side note, saying these are 4 times brighter than the PIAA is saying they are 4 times brighter than nothing. How much brighter are they than the stock of GPs?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 05:04 AM   #59
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
The only problem I see is that people don't want to ruin their housing. Back in the day, I did a Umnitza DDE that required baking my lights to open the housing. It never left things looking as nice as stock. I think you are in a dilemna because brightness and ease of installation are equally important. If there is no risk of damaging anything, then I think the brighter is the no brainer.

On a side note, saying these are 4 times brighter than the PIAA is saying they are 4 times brighter than nothing. How much brighter are they than the stock of GPs?

Even if it is the more complicated design, it would not require you to BAKE ANY THING. You just need someone with small hands to gain access into the headlight compartment. There is no ruining of your headlight housing involved........
      06-19-2008, 05:29 AM   #60
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:

Even if it is the more complicated design, it would not require you to BAKE ANY THING. You just need someone with small hands to gain access into the headlight compartment. There is no ruining of your headlight housing involved........
No need for bold my friend. I am not implying that you would need to bake. I am just making the point that a heavily involved install on your fragile headlight housing is something I would never want to do again. I would leave my GP's in there before attempting something that might damage my housing. That is all.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 06:01 AM   #61
big pimp
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d & Dakar Yellow E46 M3

Quote:

there's your ultimate answer there.

how do they compare with stock?

for me option #1
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #62
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No need for bold my friend. I am not implying that you would need to bake. I am just making the point that a heavily involved install on your fragile headlight housing is something I would never want to do again. I would leave my GP's in there before attempting something that might damage my housing. That is all.
If you know anything about the E90 angel eyes, it also requires you to take off your wheel, fender wells, etc to get to the angel eye bulbs. It takes about 45 mins to an hour per side to get the angel eyes. It also requires you modify the angel eyes housing a little bit and you run the risk of not tightening the housing enough causing the headlights to fog up. People are not complaining about that.

For the proposed E92 solution, all you need to do is to pop your hood, open up the covers, and remove the stock housing. You don't even have to fuss with the wheel or fender liner. It might be more involved than just changing an H8 bulb, but if the end results justifies it, I'm all for a more complicated solution. I have tested the possibility of getting into the headlights and removing the housing. To be honest with you, it is really not that complicated or hard. Again, it's not like changing an H8 bulb, but it's not as difficult as it sounds. As others have stated, hopefully you are only doing it once to your car, so the better it looks initially, the better.

Also, from the prototype pictures of the Duke Dynamics unit, I'm going to boldly venture a guess that their solution involves something about the same as Marc's solution 2. If you want to compete in the market, you need some thing that is better than your competitor. If the Lux unit that Marc builds is not better than the DD one, who's going to buy it?
      06-19-2008, 08:24 AM   #63
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you know anything about the E90 angel eyes, it also requires you to take off your wheel, fender wells, etc to get to the angel eye bulbs. It takes about 45 mins to an hour per side to get the angel eyes. It also requires you modify the angel eyes housing a little bit and you run the risk of not tightening the housing enough causing the headlights to fog up. People are not complaining about that.

For the proposed E92 solution, all you need to do is to pop your hood, open up the covers, and remove the stock housing. You don't even have to fuss with the wheel or fender liner. It might be more involved than just changing an H8 bulb, but if the end results justifies it, I'm all for a more complicated solution. I have tested the possibility of getting into the headlights and removing the housing. To be honest with you, it is really not that complicated or hard. Again, it's not like changing an H8 bulb, but it's not as difficult as it sounds. As others have stated, hopefully you are only doing it once to your car, so the better it looks initially, the better.

Also, from the prototype pictures of the Duke Dynamics unit, I'm going to boldly venture a guess that their solution involves something about the same as Marc's solution 2. If you want to compete in the market, you need some thing that is better than your competitor. If the Lux unit that Marc builds is not better than the DD one, who's going to buy it?
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #64
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340

The problem with option #1, and Im not knocking Lux, is the design of how the outer ring is illuminated. There is no way to balance them with a single LED on each ring. You need to do it like the lux option 2 or the DD kit they are making to have it look even.

My criteria....

Need to be visible during the day. More so then my GP thunders, the PIAAs suck during the day.
Needs to be even lighting in both rings or really close to it.
Needs to not burn out or fail or do any damage to the wiring or melt anything
I dont care if it takes me 3 hours to install as long as I achieve those 3
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #65
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy19 View Post
The problem with option #1, and Im not knocking Lux, is the design of how the outer ring is illuminated. There is no way to balance them with a single LED on each ring. You need to do it like the lux option 2 or the DD kit they are making to have it look even.

My criteria....

Need to be visible during the day. More so then my GP thunders, the PIAAs suck during the day.
+1 what he said
      06-19-2008, 09:30 AM   #66
absix
Mu mu muh muli, maikouuu!
Rep
Drives: F10 M5; F25 2.0d;

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy19 View Post

My criteria....

+110100101010010
Appreciate 0