E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Goverment Inspection Center

01-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

Goverment Inspection Center

Hey guys

I have never done an inspection before for the annual license renewal?

Should i goto a shop and have them drive it to the examination center? or should i do it myself?

Which inspection center would be easier to pass?

Should i take off the intake and strut braces? or are those allowed?

Thanks guys, i'm quite worried haha
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
Trashken
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i GT

Garage List
2015 320i GT  [0.00]
I tookl mine to BMW HK for inspection for my first time and was a big waste of time as they failed my car and I had to spend another day to retest after fixing those minor "issues". The next year I just paid my mechanic $1k and had him do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashken View Post
I tookl mine to BMW HK for inspection for my first time and was a big waste of time as they failed my car and I had to spend another day to retest after fixing those minor "issues". The next year I just paid my mechanic $1k and had him do it for me.
Yea, good advice. I just did the same, gave it to the mechanic and had him do some maintenance on the car too. Didn't want to bother dealing with the guys at inspection.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
lusfort
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93

New to driving in HK

Good Morning guys,

I've recently just bought a late model 2007 335 Cabrio for what I thought was a steal,

Been driving it around the last few days and it is has really started to grow on me. Apart from the rattle from the rear tray that i finally managed to stop, and some ratttle from the hardtop. Performance has been wonderful.

Thing is, the registration is about to expire in a few days time and I know that I have to bring it to a inspection centre for a MOT before the registration can be reissued.

The previous owners has made the following mods to the car; Rims, ECU Tune, Cat back exhaust, and Brembo brake kit with braided brake lines.

Was wondering if anyone had a good mechanic to recommend on the island side (will travel to Kowloon if need be) that can take care some of the initial maintenance of the car.

1.Oil change
2. Checking CEL - poped up during a hard acceleration.

As what you guys were discussing above, would love for him to take care of my inspection as well.

Do appreciate any help at all.

thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
dkny008
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

For your mod, I am sure the rims, ECU tune and cat-back exhaust will 90% passed. Unless, your cat was taken apart. And is your car tuned by JB4? If so, you can set the map back to 0 before you send to examination.
But for your Brembo, I am worry that you must fail it, because I guess it is not perfect fit your bmw, it is 搭橋.
I had a friend who operates a garage in Kowloon city, and help my Estima last year. He help me to rent a pair of original brake and install it for examination purpose.

If you need help, you can PM me.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 02:03 PM   #6
Jamhuck
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 / 2017 F87 M2

Hi all. Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I don't have enough posts to start a new one yet.

I'm a proud new owner of a 2008 E92 335i, completely stock, around 40,000km. Had some questions about insurance and govt inspection for modded cars. I've read through most of the HK forum already, but can't seem to find a good answer...

What do insurance companies and also govt inspections think of:
- ECU tunes (eg jb4, cobb)
- intakes, FMICs
- chargepipe, BOV/DV
- catted DPs and cat-back exhausts
- brake/suspension changes

Actually, what I'm most worried about is insurance not paying for a claim if I they find out I've modified my car. Does anyone have any experience to share?

Also last question: has anyone actually passed an emissions test with catted high-flow DPs (such as ultimate racing catted DPs or AR design catted DPs)

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #7
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamhuck View Post
Hi all. Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I don't have enough posts to start a new one yet.

I'm a proud new owner of a 2008 E92 335i, completely stock, around 40,000km. Had some questions about insurance and govt inspection for modded cars. I've read through most of the HK forum already, but can't seem to find a good answer...

- intakes, FMICs
- chargepipe, BOV/DV

Actually, what I'm most worried about is insurance not paying for a claim if I they find out I've modified my car. Does anyone have any experience to share?

Also last question: has anyone actually passed an emissions test with catted high-flow DPs (such as ultimate racing catted DPs or AR design catted DPs)

Thanks!!
welcome. this HK forum is pretty dead. i just happened to stop by and will answer your questions.

> no problem
- intakes, FMICs
> no problem
- chargepipe, BOV/DV
> no problem
> catted no problem, you pass visually but still have to pass the smog test
> suspension no problem. brakes are tricky. if you use an adapter or in hk, what they call a "bridge", then you will not pass. keep your original brakes and during the annual MOT, swap it out for the inspection.

> no problem about the vehicle. more important is the state of you as a person. drink driving? no pay.

> see above. but fitting DPs on RHD seems to be quite a nightmare from what i've heard.

enjoy your n54
      11-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #8
Jamhuck
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 / 2017 F87 M2

thanks a lot jozy for your reply! Yea I realised the HK forum is pretty dead.

Super enjoying the new car! Installed angel eyes, BMS DCI and BMS cowl filters (removed the original cowl). Not sure about any power gains, but man(!) the turbos are really loud now, I can hear them clearly through my ventilation even with the windows closed!

next up looking at the bmw performance mufflers + ecu tune +/- chargepipe. damn it's so addictive

Anyway, thanks for ur answers!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 11:59 PM   #9
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

performance mufflers seem to be troublesome to install. seems like you gotta cut your stock pipes halfway and use the clamps to install them

where you from?
      11-17-2015, 07:13 AM   #10
dkny008
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

let us meet up sometime!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 04:35 AM   #11
NuBeetle
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 323iA

Garage List
Welcome aboard!
Most of us moved to FB / Whatsapp, so less and less chitchatting on the forum.
If you're interested to meet some bimmer bros, drop me a PM with your contact no. I'll add you into the chatroom!

Last edited by NuBeetle; 11-23-2015 at 04:42 AM..
Appreciate 1