E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension Advice: I want an agressive street suspension setup with no lowering

06-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #23
chris@strutmonkey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

The Konis are adjustable so you can make them as comfortable as stock if you want. The B8s are not adjustable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
Is the Koni yellows more comfortable than the B8s? or B8s are more comfortable than koni yellows?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 11:10 PM   #24
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Dinan springs
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 09:20 AM   #25
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Old thread, I know, but I just wanted to update it to say that I ended up going with regular old B4 dampers on OEM sport springs.

I dont have them on the car yet, but once I see how it handles on the OEM springs, I may actually swap the springs with the BMW performance suspension yellow springs if I feel that it needs to be a little stiffer.

I heavily expect to find just the feeling of new dampers to be good enough though, mine are definitely totally shot after nearly 100k miles.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #26
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
Old thread, I know, but I just wanted to update it to say that I ended up going with regular old B4 dampers on OEM sport springs.

I dont have them on the car yet, but once I see how it handles on the OEM springs, I may actually swap the springs with the BMW performance suspension yellow springs if I feel that it needs to be a little stiffer.

I heavily expect to find just the feeling of new dampers to be good enough though, mine are definitely totally shot after nearly 100k miles.
Lol well then plan to replace your brand new b4 with b8 if you swap springs..
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #27
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Lol well then plan to replace your brand new b4 with b8 if you swap springs..
Nah, if its undersprung, then its undersprung and I will go stiffer with the BMWPS.

If its not undersprung then I will have no reason to change springs. I've just heard that the B4 is slightly stiffer than stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #28
r4dr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various BMWs

Quote:
Nah, if its undersprung, then its undersprung and I will go stiffer with the BMWPS.

If its not undersprung then I will have no reason to change springs. I've just heard that the B4 is slightly stiffer than stock.
It's 10% stiffer, supposedly. But they're still made to match the original springs. If you want to go with stiffer springs, even the sport springs require a different B4 damper. I suspect that would be due to a combination of increased stiffness and slightly lower ride height vs. base stock springs.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2018, 11:28 AM   #29
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Update, after about 6k miles with the B4 struts and shocks they have gone horribly soft. They started out great but of course once broken in they feel much softer and bouncy.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I'm wishing that I would have gone for the B6 or B8 instead.

I cant recommend the B4s for anyone unless you are on a super tight budget and just need something to get you by.
Appreciate 2
      10-31-2018, 05:47 PM   #30
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Update, after about 6k miles with the B4 struts and shocks they have gone horribly soft. They started out great but of course once broken in they feel much softer and bouncy.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I'm wishing that I would have gone for the B6 or B8 instead.

I cant recommend the B4s for anyone unless you are on a super tight budget and just need something to get you by.
An honest, long term update is always appreciated.
I've had 2 sets of Koni Sports and love em.
Joebie766.00
      11-01-2018, 03:27 PM   #31
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I'm not wild about the B4s I put on my X3, to be honest. They're definitely better than the old worn out shocks, but I wouldn't classify them as an upgrade.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #32
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
I'm not wild about the B4s I put on my X3, to be honest. They're definitely better than the old worn out shocks, but I wouldn't classify them as an upgrade.
Pretty much my exact same thoughts. They work, that's about it. They were cheap though which is nice.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2018, 05:42 PM   #33
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Yup, not too surprising...they are an OEM replacement, after all. You'll get peeps that will tell you otherwise though, which is unfortunate.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 08:16 AM   #34
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
Pretty much my exact same thoughts. They work, that's about it. They were cheap though which is nice.
Yep, they certainly were cheap. I got all four for $300, which is a pretty good price. I didn't want to spend a whole lot since I wasn't sure how long I'd keep the X3. I need to get back in an E9x vehicle again.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #35
Markierocker335i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i n55 m sport

I’m sorry for repeating the same question over and over again but I am totally confused after reading these different examples of suspension . I have a 2012 e92 335i with the M sport package .auto . That’s six speed auto not the other good one. One of the confusing part of this whole thing is when I hear people describe how their stock suspension feels . In my car that I described above has 50,000 miles on it and I would describe this suspension as extremely soft floaty boat like . With extreme body role .This car is dangerous if you load slowly load it up in a turn gently it’ll grab fairly well or ok but if there’s any bump in a high-speed turn you’re just about dead it disrupts the whole chassis . And your all over the place . This side to side transition is horrible. It’s not even predictable because undulation in the road gives you a different or more extreme Chasse disruption . Now as far as luxury the suspension is amazing it floats over the bumps it’s just very pleasant for a luxury car . But for any kind of spirited driveing it’s no good .am I crazy or is that the way the rest of you feel ? And definitely the stock rear dif is horrible omg ! Please tell me the basics set up for spirited street driving or Rare track day . nothing harsh just one good step from the stock msport set up as I have now . Mostly just something that you can enjoy driving the car without feeling like you’re gonna die . Bilstien shocks - dinan springs HR sport springs. And what’s that m3 upgrade part in the front suspension people are replacing . Is that M3 part more heavy duty . Dose it flex Less . Does it have better suspension geometry ?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #36
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrN1ceGuy View Post
Check out the Tein S-tech. Their spring rates are well matched and only further lower the factory sport suspension by about half an inch. I have had them for almost a year and they have works marvelously with my Bilstein B8s. Especially at higher speed.
I'm happy with my Tein S-techs but have to disagree about the drop. I think Bilstein B8s tend to raise cars a bit, so in conjunction with the Teins you ended up with just the right drop. Most including myself (with other dampers) see a 2"+ drop with the S-techs. I hated the drop so much I raised the front back up 19mm via e30 perches and spring pads and it now sits dead even and rides great. I agree that the spring rates are excellent for our cars which is why I chose them, but for most not looking for a significant drop, the Teins would be far too low IMO.
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #37
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markierocker335i View Post
I’m sorry for repeating the same question over and over again but I am totally confused after reading these different examples of suspension . I have a 2012 e92 335i with the M sport package .auto . That’s six speed auto not the other good one. One of the confusing part of this whole thing is when I hear people describe how their stock suspension feels . In my car that I described above has 50,000 miles on it and I would describe this suspension as extremely soft floaty boat like . With extreme body role .This car is dangerous if you load slowly load it up in a turn gently it’ll grab fairly well or ok but if there’s any bump in a high-speed turn you’re just about dead it disrupts the whole chassis . And your all over the place . This side to side transition is horrible. It’s not even predictable because undulation in the road gives you a different or more extreme Chasse disruption . Now as far as luxury the suspension is amazing it floats over the bumps it’s just very pleasant for a luxury car . But for any kind of spirited driveing it’s no good .am I crazy or is that the way the rest of you feel ? And definitely the stock rear dif is horrible omg ! Please tell me the basics set up for spirited street driving or Rare track day . nothing harsh just one good step from the stock msport set up as I have now . Mostly just something that you can enjoy driving the car without feeling like you’re gonna die . Bilstien shocks - dinan springs HR sport springs. And what’s that m3 upgrade part in the front suspension people are replacing . Is that M3 part more heavy duty . Dose it flex Less . Does it have better suspension geometry ?
Try this again with paragraphs.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #38
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markierocker335i View Post
Your suspension is probably shot; it's not stiff stock but shouldn't feel like that. Any of the common setups should work well depending on what you want.

Spring options: (from minimal to extreme lowering)

BMW Performance Springs
Dinan Springs
Eibach Pro kit
H&R Sport
Swift R-spec
Tein S tech
H&R Rce

Damper options:

Bilstein B4 (OE equivalent)
Koni Street shocks (non-adjustable but can be paired with lowering springs)
Koni Yellow (adjustable)
Bilstein Sport

Any of the above combinations will work. Be sure to get e36 M3 bumpstops for the front and Z4 for the rear. Or just get coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #39
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 6MT ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
What springs have you paired them with? How have you set the damping? Looking strongly at these for my wagon and would like to keep the sport springs.

Ultimately these would rock with remote setting functionality, but if they can be set and forget shocks then I'd be happy.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #40
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorin View Post
Quote:
What springs have you paired them with? How have you set the damping? Looking strongly at these for my wagon and would like to keep the sport springs.

Ultimately these would rock with remote setting functionality, but if they can be set and forget shocks then I'd be happy.
I've had them with bmwps springs and oe sport springs and prefer the oe sport springs, the ride was too choppy with ps springs cuz our roads suck.
I think 1.25 turns from full soft in front and 2/3 turn from soft in the rear. I can't imagine needing external adjusters for the rear on a street car. You might have to adjust 1-2 during the life of the shock.
Thorin117.50
      03-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #41
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 6MT ZSP

Quote:
I've had them with bmwps springs and oe sport springs and prefer the oe sport springs, the ride was too choppy with ps springs cuz our roads suck.
I think 1.25 turns from full soft in front and 2/3 turn from soft in the rear. I can't imagine needing external adjusters for the rear on a street car. You might have to adjust 1-2 during the life of the shock.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:43 PM   #42
=C=
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i M-Sport E90

Quote:

B4 is supposed to be a direct OEM replacement and should feel exactly the same as your OEM except they're new so should perform just like from factory.

If you're getting bouncy-ness there must be other issues at play here.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #43
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by =C= View Post
B4 is supposed to be a direct OEM replacement and should feel exactly the same as your OEM except they're new so should perform just like from factory.

If you're getting bouncy-ness there must be other issues at play here.
There's nothing wrong, its just that the factory suspension is bouncy, and so are the B4s.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #44
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Would koni yellow with eibach be sportier then koni red active with eibach? How would the ride compare?
Appreciate 0