E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Boston area N54/N55 meets?

05-16-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
N54Cannoli
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive 6MT

Boston area N54/N55 meets?

I bought my E90 335i 6MT about a month and a half ago and all my friends have STi’s and WRXs haha. Looking for others that might know of meets or who are maybe trying to get their BMWs together and hang out!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
zero2sixtyZ should be setting up a meet soon. Right Z?

I work up in Lawrence, you are not too far away. I am always happy to talk cars.

Congrats on buying a nice luxury performance car, I would be envious if I owned an STI or WRX. Especially as you will be leaving your friends in the dust once you mod it and it doesn't scream boy ricer and attract cops.

I don't really do the hangout stuff but I am happy to advise if you ever have any questions on mods etc.

Post up a pic!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:18 AM   #3
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Nah.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post
Nah.
Car must be broken again huh?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Quote:
Nah.
Car must be broken again huh?
Always broken.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Always broken.
The glory of owning an N54.

1) My turbo is being sent back to precision because it leaks oil, their fault. Covered under warranty.
2) rear 02s are shot
3) needs a boost leak test, I just want to do this, logs are fine.
4) need to build and run a line from air filter to catch can so there is a vac source.
5) oil change
6) full suspension install and corner balance

After all that shit I can start street tuning it again with Motiv.

F'ing never ends.

Maybe I will drive it again in July?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #7
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

N54Cannoli Follow MassBMW on Facebook/Instagram, they host pop up meets every other week or so. Mostly BMWs, but all makes/models are welcomed. Meets are typically in Westwood, might be a little far south for you though.

We might organize one meet a year here on the forums..
      05-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #8
N54Cannoli
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive 6MT

Sorry for the late reply I have been busy these last couple days. Thank you for all the info guys, I joined MassBMW do any of you attend their meets? I think there is one taking place tomorrow night at bass pro shop by Gillette stadium. Torgus, I saw you mention full suspension soon what brands have you been looking at? I ask because I’m currently looking at suspension but don’t want to buy something I will be unhappy with. New to the forum thing so I apologize If i’m supposed to make a new thread for a change of topic.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 09:42 AM   #9
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Cannoli View Post
Sorry for the late reply I have been busy these last couple days. Thank you for all the info guys, I joined MassBMW do any of you attend their meets? I think there is one taking place tomorrow night at bass pro shop by Gillette stadium. Torgus, I saw you mention full suspension soon what brands have you been looking at? I ask because I’m currently looking at suspension but don’t want to buy something I will be unhappy with. New to the forum thing so I apologize If i’m supposed to make a new thread for a change of topic.
I don't typically attend their meets, but I've been to a few. The Patriot Place meet is every other Thursday and draws hundreds of cars, it's not just MassBMW. I'm going to be up that way tomorrow so I plan on going, hopefully it's a nice day so the Lambos, Mclarens, etc. all come out to play.
      05-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #10
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Cannoli View Post
Torgus, I saw you mention full suspension so what brands have you been looking at? I ask because I’m currently looking at suspension but don’t want to buy something I will be unhappy with. New to the forum thing so I apologize If i’m supposed to make a new thread for a change of topic.
Almost no one stays on topic in the regional forums so no worries.

I looked at all coilovers from 1k-5k in cost. Ohlins are like 2.5k a bit more as I have m3 rears. This is what I am ended up purchasing. I am working with Barry at 3DM Motorsports who works closely with Ohlins USA. He is bringing some custom suspension parts to the E9X platform:

335i Ohlins front shock custom re-valved
Swift custom 400 lb/in front spring
Vorshlag camber plates
Custom Front tension arm ball joint
Custom Front ARB adjustable linkages
Front Eibach ARB
Modify Eibach ARB to be ajustable
M3 Ohlins rear damper custom revalved, custom droop limiter installed
Rear Ohlins spring height adjuster
Rear Ohlins spring thrust sheets
Rear Ohlins damper clicker extender
Swift custom 700 lb/in rear spring
Custom Urethane rear upper shock mount
BNIB OEM M3 lower control arms with new hardware
Custom Rear ARB aka anti roll bar adjustable linkages
Custom HA5 rear ball joint conversion
Rear SS brake lines the ones in the middle no one ever changes as you have to drop the subframe.
Rear stock anti roll bar: modified to make adjustable

This is over kill for most people but I wanted to do it once and do it right. My suspension costs more than most people's aftermarket turbo(s)

Read this stuff:
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-Coilover_Guide
https://blog.ecstuning.com/2018/01/1...-bmw-e90-335i/

Ohlins R&T with custom swift springs makes the most sense for my goals. You can use them on the street and track. Not the cheapest solution if you just want to be lower but what I believe is the best set up that can perform both street and track duty adequately.

There are tons of reviews of the Ohlins kits form N54 or S65 powered vehicles online and on the forums. None are negative.

edit:
Once you get above 3k in cost you are basically looking at a track only CO. From the reading I was doing you better be able to pay to play. Most do not have warranties and people expect to have to rebuild them and more often than you would probably like. Also, way too stiff for the street unless you went down on spring lbs. But then the damper would not be ideal for the spring and you F it all up.

For example the ClubSport dampers are sold with the expectation that they will be used on a race track, and so a warranty is not offered due to the potentially unpredictable conditions of racing. The internal materials and construction between ClubSport and V3 are the same, and their potential for durability is similar. The intended use is simply drastically different, and so the approach on warranty coverage is different.

HP Autospaort, who knows a thing or two about E9X suspensions, they suggest rebuilding your coil overs every 40k or if you track more than 8 times a year. This becomes especially important if you find yourself going in dirt or other areas where your dampeners might be compromised.

The dampening capabilities of the Ohlins FAR and EXPONENTIALLY exceeds that of the KW. Ohlins have DFV technology which can be found in the link below. Just because the original intended spring rates are not high does not mean that the setup is not as good a setup as KW CSs. The Ohlins are mono tube designed which allows for a much more consistent and superb ride quality to that of a KW twin tube. The Ohlins will also last you longer than the KW CS and are rebuildable… I have not heard of one person rebuilding clubsports because they just upgrade to Ohlins.

https://www.hpashop.com/Road-Track_c332.htm

Last edited by Torgus; 05-22-2019 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0