E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help, DME code 2CF6 sending me into limp mode

04-11-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
mslam02
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i M sport

Help, DME code 2CF6 sending me into limp mode

First off, I hope all are safe and secure during these unprecedented times!

(DME code 2CF6: throttle-valve potentiometer 1, with plausability to air mass.)

So I have been getting this code intermittently lately but its become more and more frequent. Sometimes the code is accompanied by 2CF7, 2CFB, and 2D09 (throttle-valve potentiometer 2 with plausibility to air mass; throttle valve adaptation value; and THROTTLE) but only 2CF6 has popped up since the new TB (still early though)

Searching the issue I have found people blame the plug to the throttle body being loose or corroded, the charge pipe loose or disconnected, others had loose connections at the DME from installing a piggy back tuner (this car has never had that type of tuner on it) or lastly a bad throttle body. Others have stated resetting throttle adaptations (the BMW way via pedal reset). None of this has worked to clear the code.

I have MHD, inlets, outlets, CP, FMIC, DCI, and DPs.

Changing the throttle body was the latest attempt - after that and another throttle adaptation reset, it stayed clear for limited driving the passed week and a 2-hour straight trip until it came back today...

Any help is appreciated, at a loss here... I can also do a datalog if that would help any...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 09:00 AM   #2
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslam02 View Post
First off, I hope all are safe and secure during these unprecedented times!

(DME code 2CF6: throttle-valve potentiometer 1, with plausability to air mass.)

So I have been getting this code intermittently lately but its become more and more frequent. Sometimes the code is accompanied by 2CF7, 2CFB, and 2D09 (throttle-valve potentiometer 2 with plausibility to air mass; throttle valve adaptation value; and THROTTLE) but only 2CF6 has popped up since the new TB (still early though)

Searching the issue I have found people blame the plug to the throttle body being loose or corroded, the charge pipe loose or disconnected, others had loose connections at the DME from installing a piggy back tuner (this car has never had that type of tuner on it) or lastly a bad throttle body. Others have stated resetting throttle adaptations (the BMW way via pedal reset). None of this has worked to clear the code.

I have MHD, inlets, outlets, CP, FMIC, DCI, and DPs.

Changing the throttle body was the latest attempt - after that and another throttle adaptation reset, it stayed clear for limited driving the passed week and a 2-hour straight trip until it came back today...

Any help is appreciated, at a loss here... I can also do a datalog if that would help any...
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a dirty contact on the DME plug.

Found it by watching the signal values from the throttle body with INPA while shaking cables.

Took 5 minutes with contact cleaner and the problem went away.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 11:28 AM   #3
mslam02
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a dirty contact on the DME plug.

Found it by watching the signal values from the throttle body with INPA while shaking cables.

I will try this and report back, do you think even with never manipulating the DME before that this could still be the case? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslam02 View Post
Quote:

I will try this and report back, do you think even with never manipulating the DME before that this could still be the case? Thanks!
Yes, I never touched the DME before and this came up. Bugged me for months before I got serious about finding the problem.

Contacts on the DME did not look that dirty or corroded but cleaning them and resetting the plug cleared the problem. 8-9 months and no issues.

It's a easy to check, just need the ability to read your laptop while reaching under your hood.

Don't know what I would do without good diagnostic tools.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #5
mslam02
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I never touched the DME before and this came up. Bugged me for months before I got serious about finding the problem.

Contacts on the DME did not look that dirty or corroded but cleaning them and resetting the plug cleared the problem. 8-9 months and no issues.

It's a easy to check, just need the ability to read your laptop while reaching under your hood.

Don't know what I would do without good diagnostic tools.
I don't have INPA set up on this laptop I bought a few years ago, the process is somewhat of annoyance since I have a mac - to set up/install a windows partition and to then set up INPA, relearn how to use it, etc. lol. But I did just go ahead and take the DME plugs off, spray them with electrode cleaner and plug and unplug them a few times to "clean them" and then let everything dry a day. Day 1 of the drive yesterday was fine after some 4x4 and traction codes popped up then disappeared on their own. But even before, it would take some days of driving to populate a code so we shall see.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 11:58 PM   #6
maarzz
E92 335i P/S/C Pkg Monteg blue
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i PSCW-Pkg Montego blue

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Hi guys, I just had a similar situation and a whole bunch of codes. Thought would check in to see how it went after the clean up? I hoping no subsequent post means good news. Do let me know. Codes I am getting…
2ACB - DME: DME master relay, activation.
2CF6 - DME: Throttle-valve potentiometer 1, plausibility to air mass.
2CFA - DME: Throttle-valve potentiometer 2.
2CFB - DME: Throttle-valve adaptation value.
2D09 - DME: THROTTLE.
2D1D - DME: Accelerator-pedal module, pedal-position sensor 1, voltage supply
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 10:57 AM   #7
DGUGGIARI
BMW 325i SE e93
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i SE e93

I don't know what is going on and have the same. Is driving me crazy. I have replaced the throttle body and pedal for the same serial number. Still, everything showing up. Also in a limp mode

2D09 - DME: Throttle-valve
2CF9 - DME: Throttle-valve potentiometer 1.
2CFA - DME: Throttle-valve potentiometer 2.
2D1D - DME: Accelerator-pedal module, pedal-position sensor 1, voltage supply.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 06:40 PM   #8
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 335i, E60 2008 535xi

If you have MHD go into settings and reset adaptations
Appreciate 0