E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > e92 Suspension Knock / Clunk Nightmare

03-13-2021, 02:21 AM   #45
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD_e92 View Post
Indeed a step ahead of me

The faulty drop link did sound significantly worse than the steering rack (was noisy regardless of speed or road surface, where the rack only clunked at low speeds). The 'original' noise that slowly grew over time and prompted me to start this unfortunate adventure was the rack though (didn't go away with new drop links)!

Time to sign up to a monthly subscription of ARB drop links to keep it running quiet...

P.S. I do believe my struts and drop links were installed on the correct side as I try to pay attention to what I'm taking out (taking before pictures and lining new parts up to keep myself alive!). Bought a pair of cheap links in my local parts store to keep me going. I've heard good things about adjustable drop links (Either JOM or ProSport), they appear to be good build quality and are cheaper than Lemforders (which are probably factory seconds, I don't see why else would they keep failing so quickly). If the adjustable ones don't last, might try Meyle HD ones next?
You can double check by running the steering from lock to lock, and making sure that the drop links don't bind. You should be able to rotate the drop link a little at any point.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 05:24 PM   #46
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Drove my own car for the first time in a couple of weeks today - my partner has be using it because kids. Something in the front end is clunking like hell...will have a poke around tomorrow and hopefully find the culprit. Already got one of the silly 8 sided sockets for faffing with the rack too.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 02:13 AM   #47
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Drove my own car for the first time in a couple of weeks today - my partner has be using it because kids. Something in the front end is clunking like hell...will have a poke around tomorrow and hopefully find the culprit. Already got one of the silly 8 sided sockets for faffing with the rack too.
my bets on drop link,ive got another slack/metaliky clunk,i know it's a drop link,experience tells me..can wait till mot in july or if summit else needs doing in meantime and kill 2 birds with one drop link ha ha
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 03:38 AM   #48
KD_e92
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 330d

Quote:
I second rasa. My droplink was making a right racket. The bearing was popping over every single bump. Luckily rocking the car when stationary was enough to replicate the sound so was able to diagnose really quickly.

Following your last message on checking correct fitment, I did some further research on droplinks and it looks like mine are on a constant preload (fitted with wheels up in the air) which is likely what causes them to fail prematurely. Will buy adjustable ones and fit them with the suspension under load in the coming months. Curious to see how long the cheap ones I put in last...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 11:35 AM   #49
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Well, that was unexpected and reasonably pleasant...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rcSrqubTngvzzvqK9
It was just that the droplink was loose on the strut!

Weirdly, when I first installed them this exact one was loose after the test drive

Notice the shadow in the paint, below the droplink nut.

I checked everything after the test drive, and that was the only thing out of line - figured I'd just forgotten to torque it. But this time I also checked the other 3 droplink nuts and again this was the only one loose

I think it's most likely me just doing something wrong, but may be worth others checking before replacing parts. Spec is 58Nm for both ends of the droplinks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 02:25 AM   #50
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well, that was unexpected and reasonably pleasant...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rcSrqubTngvzzvqK9
It was just that the droplink was loose on the strut!

Weirdly, when I first installed them this exact one was loose after the test drive

Notice the shadow in the paint, below the droplink nut.

I checked everything after the test drive, and that was the only thing out of line - figured I'd just forgotten to torque it. But this time I also checked the other 3 droplink nuts and again this was the only one loose

I think it's most likely me just doing something wrong, but may be worth others checking before replacing parts. Spec is 58Nm for both ends of the droplinks.
im gonna start buying them in bulk ha ha
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 12:02 PM   #51
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Brought it back in, up on jacks, and figured that the current clunk is coming from a faulty drop link. Ironic how a brand new (overpriced) Lemforder lasted just over 3 months (under 1k miles).
The studs on my Turkish made Lemforder links snapped after 10k km. Not a pleasant experience when they suddenly go in the middle of an on ramp!

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 03:22 PM   #52
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Both at the same time? What sway bar do you have?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 12:44 AM   #53
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

thoiught they were meyle there,,can see hd stamped on,,ie meyle hd,as in heavy duty'
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 02:00 AM   #54
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

That's 'RH'...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #55
KD_e92
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's 'RH'...
Hd = Heavy duty ...or ¿Hᴚ

I bought some adjustable JOM links to be fitted this weekend. They appear really solid compared to the lemforders (although quite a bit heavier). I think one of the cheap temporary ones I put in is already creaking. Hoping this is the end of my droplink saga
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 10:55 AM   #56
fatty5000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330D

Had a noticeable rattle last week when turning and as I hit speedbumps.

Saturday was turning off the main road and there was a thump and scraping noise

New pair of droplinks fitted this morning!

About 4 days from noise to the bolt snapping!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 05:53 PM   #57
Mango1991
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
The rack has a tension screw on it, which can be adjusted. This may just be enough to solve your issue
This is news to me!

Do you know which if it's either #1, #2 or one of the others?
Apart from 'tightening things up' do you know what effect adjusting the bolt has? (Can it be overdone causing other issues?)

Having spent so much money on the suspension, I'd be both relieved, and furious to find I could have just tightened a screw on the existing rack!
Hi did you manage to solve the knocking noise. I had a similar issue with my old steering rack and was under the impression it couldn't be fixed so bought a new rack?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 09:15 AM   #58
KD_e92
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango1991 View Post
Hi did you manage to solve the knocking noise. I had a similar issue with my old steering rack and was under the impression it couldn't be fixed so bought a new rack?
Check post #35

Tightening the preload in the rack solved my issue. You need a special socket for it, very little adjustment is necessary to feel a difference. It can be adjusted without removing the rack. F series has a repair kit for the same issue, but it must be rare on E series as I couldn't find one anywhere. I didn't know about preload adjustment prior to rebuilding my suspension would have saved a lot of money and time!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #59
Mango1991
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Check post #35

Tightening the preload in the rack solved my issue. You need a special socket for it, very little adjustment is necessary to feel a difference. It can be adjusted without removing the rack. F series has a repair kit for the same issue, but it must be rare on E series as I couldn't find one anywhere. I didn't know about preload adjustment prior to rebuilding my suspension would have saved a lot of money and time!
Can you please put up a link to the socket you got. Also if a picture of the preload but that you turn. I tried turning mine but was solid. Thanks Martin
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 11:19 AM   #60
Mango1991
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Check post #35

Can you please put up a link to the socket you got. Also if a picture of the preload but that you turn. I tried turning mine but was solid. Thanks Martin
Are you sure the e series had preload adjustment?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 05:44 PM   #61
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 11:07 AM   #62
Mango1991
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Has anyone else done this adjustment on their Bmw e92. This is the only post I have seen about being able to adjust the e series rack and was under the impression it was only f series that could be adjusted. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #63
ValSolo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 640d GC

This comment and on.

I personally did this on e36, looked similar, 1/8 of a turn is indeed enough or even too much.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 03:41 AM   #64
mario902
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d 163hp manual EU

Hi, cloud you tight this bolt while the steering rack is on the car?
And you use a simple 8 wall insert 25 mm to tight the bolt?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 03:49 AM   #65
kolopn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 325i N52B25

Does somebody know, if the F30 bushing repair kit fits e90? I see that for E90 EPS, bushing looks very similar to F30 one.

Quote:
One final update for anyone searching for mysterious steering noises....

Adjusting the preload solved it.

The rattle / looseness in the front end got significantly worse in the last couple of weeks, to the point I was worried about driving it in case I lost steering.

After tightening the preload (to the point I couldn't turn the steering wheel - as warned previously) it was noticeably less audible (but not gone). Having found the sweet spot I took it for a test drive and to my surprise the noise was just as bad going over uneven surfaces. Brought it back in, up on jacks, and figured that the current clunk is coming from a faulty drop link. Ironic how a brand new (overpriced) Lemforder lasted just over 3 months (under 1k miles).

Either way, with new drop links and preload in the rack tightened she is good as new (and feels like you would want it to feel having spent a small fortune replacing all components with new).

Some images of what the preload mechanism looks like (the head is a soft aluminium and I ended up rounding it off even with the custom adjustment socket - luckily this is the old rack so I could mess around with it). There's service repair kits for the F series as the fault is found in those too, but nothing I could find for the E.

With the adjustment socket and new drop links, it worked out as a £50 fix. Shame the trial and error was so expensive
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 07:30 AM   #66
jacktar666
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D SE

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...php?p=30701269

Posted this in another section so I'll keep this thread updated post my next visit to my independent. Good luck with all your clunking issues gents.

Last edited by jacktar666; 12-09-2023 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0