E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > White smoke rising from hood

03-29-2021, 10:40 PM   #23
Macadacious
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technics_ View Post
The two times Ive seen smoke on my E92 was from:

1. White smoke coming from kidney grills at idle due to evaporating water while in rain/snowstorm back on the East Coast.

2. Burning oil from leaking VCG, only smoked on the hottest days here in LA though, anything around 90+ degrees. Had that replaced and it immediately solved that issue.
So that white smoke is from evaporation is true from rain since i didnt see anything smoking under the hood when i checked and smelt nothing. I might be able to smell oil soon when the hot weather comes, the vcg has some seepage but no smell of oil.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 10:42 PM   #24
Macadacious
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Mine burned white smoke when my VCG was leaking.
Ill have to keep an eye out on that and nose peeled since mine has seepage. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 01:14 AM   #25
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadacious View Post
But the CEL is my most concern as the dealer probably cleared it and it came back right after i stopped and started up again. Ill look into it what the code is. Wish i had a obd scanner.
Just take it to get the codes done at either the BMW dealer, or better, a good BMW Independent mechanic. I am very certain the smoke has nothing to do with it. And considering you already got the evap code for your gas cap, it's probably something related and hopefully relatively benign.
      03-30-2021, 01:10 PM   #26
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Ill have to keep an eye out on that and nose peeled since mine has seepage. Thanks
Oh you'll definitely know when you floor it on a hot day and smoke pours into the cabin
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 04:47 PM   #27
Macadacious
Private
Rep

So his other mechanic said its the vanos.. he said the warranty does not cover this, i argued that he said its still under warranty but he said it doesnt cover that.. so i was like wdf ok.. so he offered to pay half.. and i pay half.. how much does this cost?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 06:21 PM   #28
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
So his other mechanic said its the vanos.. he said the warranty does not cover this, i argued that he said its still under warranty but he said it doesnt cover that.. so i was like wdf ok.. so he offered to pay half.. and i pay half.. how much does this cost?
I'm guessing he means vanos solenoids, which if the case are a less than 2 hr DIY. All you need is a small ratchet set, two new bolts, and two new solenoids.
      03-31-2021, 01:09 AM   #29
Macadacious
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92N54 View Post
I'm guessing he means vanos solenoids, which if the case are a less than 2 hr DIY. All you need is a small ratchet set, two new bolts, and two new solenoids.
I already left the car at the shop, next time im doing it myself. Just curious on what the cost is he may charge..
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00
      03-31-2021, 07:42 AM   #30
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Quote:
I already left the car at the shop, next time im doing it myself. Just curious on what the cost is he may charge..
Wow. Hopefully before "next time" you'll have gotten that OBD cable you mention earlier and that would allow you to read the codes that many here have asked you about. Going from "I have a CES light" to having someone else replace your vanos solenoids without getting the codes is an expensive trip. It's unfortunate that you couldn't have gotten the cable and read the codes before you took it somewhere...since you otherwise seem inclined to figure this out (rather than just forking over the car and money to someone else). But, your car, your choice.

Make sure he gives you back the old solenoids, as it's likely that there's nothing wrong with those that perhaps a cleaning wouldn't fix.

On average, the solenoids will cost about $100 each (assuming he uses decent quality parts) and his labor should be well under an hour (but he'll probably charge an hour which will include time for coffee and to clear the stored codes). This is a job that literally takes about 10 minutes if you're being careful.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 07:55 AM   #31
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Why didn't you ask him how much it costs?
Appreciate 1
jsunma652.00
      04-01-2021, 06:47 PM   #32
Macadacious
Private
Rep

So the dealer was playing monkey with me saying it's gas cap, the mechanic said vanos, now i pickup the car he gives me these, what is it? He said they're very expensive.. i think hes bsing me but either way he said bill is $1350.. but since we made a deal, the dealer pays half.. but! After complaining to the dealer he said he'll refund me $300..

This is the part.. and im pretty sure he didnt change the vanos cause i looked and it didnt seem touched unless he just cleaned them? Anyways the cars good now and at home but f that im gonna work on the car myself from now on unless its out of my skills. If i had the scanner i wouldve done it with my friend.

https://ibb.co/928nj59
https://ibb.co/wL5Kmht
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 06:48 PM   #33
Macadacious
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Why didn't you ask him how much it costs?
I did but he said he didnt know exactly.. i was like wdf ok..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 06:50 PM   #34
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Well based on those pictures, those are vanos gears and not solenoids...
      04-01-2021, 06:51 PM   #35
Macadacious
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsunma View Post
Wow. Hopefully before "next time" you'll have gotten that OBD cable you mention earlier and that would allow you to read the codes that many here have asked you about. Going from "I have a CES light" to having someone else replace your vanos solenoids without getting the codes is an expensive trip. It's unfortunate that you couldn't have gotten the cable and read the codes before you took it somewhere...since you otherwise seem inclined to figure this out (rather than just forking over the car and money to someone else). But, your car, your choice.

Make sure he gives you back the old solenoids, as it's likely that there's nothing wrong with those that perhaps a cleaning wouldn't fix.

On average, the solenoids will cost about $100 each (assuming he uses decent quality parts) and his labor should be well under an hour (but he'll probably charge an hour which will include time for coffee and to clear the stored codes). This is a job that literally takes about 10 minutes if you're being careful.
Yes i definitely will, it definitely was an expensive trip, but good thing he paid half and is giving $300 back after complaints. Yes i agree lol, i won't be anymore unless it's something i can't work on. He only gave me back those things iuno what they are but he told me theyre very expensive.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 07:08 PM   #36
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Yes, those are gears, not solenoids. Replacing those is a whole different job than vanos solenoids. Other threads right now in the top 20 about this...

But no worries. Clearly you don't have an issue paying mechanics to do work on your car that you don't understand. And as long as you don't mind paying the bills, that should work out just fine. There's an entire industry based on that.

Happy motoring!

(lol)
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00
      04-01-2021, 07:38 PM   #37
Macadacious
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsunma View Post
Yes, those are gears, not solenoids. Replacing those is a whole different job than vanos solenoids. Other threads right now in the top 20 about this...

But no worries. Clearly you don't have an issue paying mechanics to do work on your car that you don't understand. And as long as you don't mind paying the bills, that should work out just fine. There's an entire industry based on that.

Happy motoring!

(lol)
What are they called exactly? So was this an expensive repair? Because i only paid $650.. but after complaining im getting back $300. I dont if i cant fix it, but if i can ill do it myself but this time i didnt have an obd reader, and "warranty" with dealer.. but next time is a no for sure unless I really cant do it myself or with help from friend.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 04:41 PM   #38
Macadacious
Private
Rep

Ok guys so i decided to open the cover today since i bought leds to replace the halogen angel bulbs. Anyways i was surprised these bulbs have never been changed, even the warranty sticker is still intact until i opened it today lol. But BMW wdf how did they allow qc to pass the crimp on this pin.. wow.. the insulation is sticking out.. i know its covered with a seal, but i wrapped electrical tape around it anyways..

so after that i started on the cover, the bolt inside was a pita to get.. i had to use the hex socket and had vise pliers holding it sideways under that tight spot and loosened it just enough to where i could loosen it by hand.. anyways finally got it off..

First thing i checked was if any leaks around the valvetronic, how does it look to you guys? Also what really pissed me off and i think i found the problem to the oil leaks.. so im pretty sure the mechanic the dealer sent me to left it loose on purpose cause he kept telling me "please call me if anything happens my friend" he repeated that nonstop, shouldve known something was up, something was telling me and i had a gut feeling aswell it was telling me maybe check the bolts holding the gasket they could be loose.. and of course i checked today and honest to god im not exaggerating, the torxs bolt on the corner had about 3 turns left until it felt snug.. and others felt like they were hand tightened.. what the f is that.. im pretty sure the mechanic did that on purpose so id call and come back and he'd charge me $$$ saying i need to replace the vcg.. but i wiped off any oil around the engine and whatever else i could after tightening the bolts, also left the cover off so itll be easier to check tomorrow if i see any leaks.

But seriously?.. first 2 weeks i owned the car i didnt smell oil like this, and conveniently i do smell it here and there after i get the car back, and today i check it and they're loose.. insanity.. thats why i dont trust alot of mechanics.. so hard to find a honest one.. also one of the clips on the vanos is missing.. and does anyone know why the outter ring isnt lit up as much? Seems like the halogens light up both angel rings better

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 04:44 PM   #39
Macadacious
Private
Rep

Btw.. its been 3 days now and no more oil smell. So pretty sure i solved it. But yesterday after some pulls and aggressive driving on the freeway hitting 170-180, and got off the freeway stopped at a red light there was some plastic/burning smell, definitely wasnt oil it smells like the smoke when you weld something lol
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 09:56 PM   #40
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i XDrive

Garage List
Get the code and get back to us. I'm sure we can all relate
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 11:30 PM   #41
Macadacious
Private
Rep

It was 2A98, 2A99, 2A9A, and P0015. the dude was sketchy seemed he didnt want to show or tell.. anyways he changed the intake camshafts timing gear, car ran good after that but recently got vcg done at shop for $350. Oil filter housing gasket im ordering atm to replace aswell along with coolant hose/flange, and upper hose ontop radiator.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #42
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

What did you expect when you drive at such speeds? Does Canada have an Autobahn that I'm not aware of? Run your car that hard and you're asking for trouble unless you know it's been sorted.