E90Post
 


The Tire Rack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Build Log: umr's money pit



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-19-2021, 08:31 AM   #1
umr
New Member
umr's Avatar
Australia
5
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: BMW E92 335i 2008
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Adelaide, SA

iTrader: (0)

Cool Build Log: umr's money pit

Hello everyone, been a long time lurker here without an account, finally decided to register today and start this long overdue log.

Car is a 2008 E92 335i Sparkling Graphite Metallic, bought from Sydney October 2020 (barely squeezed the travel up to Sydney from Adelaide during the covid panic).


The car when picked up from previous owner. Bone stock, aside from the rear spoiler and antenna cover.


Mods List
  • Exhaust PE mod
  • xHP Stage 3 transmission tune
  • DBA T3 4000 Rotors All Around
  • Akebono ceramic brake pads
  • BMS 7.5" race intercooler
  • BMS dual cone intakes (maybe will change back to stock soon)
  • RB PCV
  • LED side indicator lights
  • Carbon fiber rear quad tip diffuser
  • LCI Tail lights
  • MHD Stage 1+ Tune
  • Carbon fiber front lip
  • Style 313 wheels

Maintenance
  • Oil filter housing and oil cooler gaskets
  • Water pump
  • Coolant flush
  • Eldor ignition coils
  • Bosch spark plugs
  • Threw out run-flats, got some nice Kumhos. 245/35/19 front. 265/30/19 rear
  • Currently on Penrite 5w/40, will change to Motul soon.
  • Vanos solenoids


How the car sits now. My photography skills aren't the best, but I will be posting more photos in the coming days.

I will do my best to keep this thread up-to date. One of the main reasons I am starting the thread is for me to see the progress on the car - a place for me to look back at and see how far we've come.

I have a lot of things in mind for the car, both maintenance and mods. I will try not to repeat the processes already done on other threads, namely Socket's extensive and in-depth log.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:05 AM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Socket's Avatar
Australia
3625
Rep
11,536
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post
Hello everyone, been a long time lurker here without an account, finally decided to register today and start this long overdue log.

Car is a 2008 E92 335i Sparkling Graphite Metallic, bought from Sydney October 2020 (barely squeezed the travel up to Sydney from Adelaide during the covid panic).


The car when picked up from previous owner. Bone stock, aside from the rear spoiler and antenna cover.


Mods List
  • Exhaust PE mod
  • xHP Stage 3 transmission tune
  • DBA T3 4000 Rotors All Around
  • Akebono ceramic brake pads
  • BMS 7.5" race intercooler
  • BMS dual cone intakes (maybe will change back to stock soon)
  • RB PCV
  • LED side indicator lights
  • Carbon fiber rear quad tip diffuser
  • LCI Tail lights
  • MHD Stage 1+ Tune
  • Carbon fiber front lip
  • Style 313 wheels

Maintenance
  • Oil filter housing and oil cooler gaskets
  • Water pump
  • Coolant flush
  • Eldor ignition coils
  • Bosch spark plugs
  • Threw out run-flats, got some nice Kumhos. 245/35/19 front. 265/30/19 rear
  • Currently on Penrite 5w/40, will change to Motul soon.
  • Vanos solenoids


How the car sits now. My photography skills aren't the best, but I will be posting more photos in the coming days.

I will do my best to keep this thread up-to date. One of the main reasons I am starting the thread is for me to see the progress on the car - a place for me to look back at and see how far we've come.

I have a lot of things in mind for the car, both maintenance and mods. I will try not to repeat the processes already done on other threads, namely Socket's extensive and in-depth log.

Cheers!
Welcome to the forum and getting your build thread up and running
Car looks great and mods are well thought out
Would love to see some more pics including the rear and interior
Whats next on the list? window tint? suspension bits? fluffy dice??
Looking forward to following your journey ... subbed....
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 05:17 PM   #3
shannon1
Private First Class
shannon1's Avatar
Australia
92
Rep
119
Posts

Drives: 2007 E91 323i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Nice looking car. Welcome to the forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 02:39 AM   #4
jzx_andy
Private First Class
jzx_andy's Avatar
97
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Perth, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Welcome to the forum

Car looks great, hopefully she gives you lots of happy motoring.

You have done well to read through Socket's thread!
__________________
Slowpoke
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 09:15 AM   #5
umr
New Member
umr's Avatar
Australia
5
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: BMW E92 335i 2008
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Adelaide, SA

iTrader: (0)

Manual Conversion

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone.

A big update on the car. I initially wanted to purchase a manual 335i e92, but wasn't able to find a good example in my price range.

So last year November (only 1 month owning the car!) I bought a manual conversion kit from the UK. I arranged collection and shipping via seafreight - arrived to Adelaide in roughly 3.5 months. The bloke I bought the parts from was great to deal with, as he packaged it all up very nicely using ratchets and shrink wrap.

Why do a manual conversion? I like my car, a lot. I like the colour, low KMs (84k), great interior, I have done a lot of the maintenance and finally, it's fun!


The manual swap

Up until this point, I annoyed vtl a little bit as he guided me through the parts I would need to get this job done. Initially, the plan was to drive down to Melbourne and let Vincent do the work, but I was a little worried that I might get stuck there for a while if we needed a part and had to order online.

So last week Saturday, I decided to tackle the job myself. And I was right - a lot of the parts I had needed to be refreshed/new.

Below are some photos of my progress so far. I apologise if the photo sizes are big, I couldn't figure out how to resize them.


Exhaust and driveshaft out



Auto transmission out, it was a real workout to get the uppermost T14 bolt off the bellhousing. Definitely recommend another pair of hands to assist in bringing the transmission down to the ground and slide it under the car to clear it.


The manual gearbox definitely needed a good clean, before and after a quick spray of break cleaner in the bellhousing.


New slave cylinder and hardline on the gearbox. I do have a brand new clutch delay valve, but after some research, I think I will leave it off for now.


Getting the pedal assembly ready, brand new master cylinder, clips and springs. As well as a new hose to run to the reservoir, the old one was cut right in the middle and it was too short to comfortably reach the reservoir.


Quick test fit of the pedal assembly. I am waiting for a hydraulics shop to make me a flex line to replace the clutch hardline. I have heard some horror stories of people taking apart the interior to run the hardline, I wanted to avoid that and opt for a braided flex line.


I haven't been taking a lot of photos, as there are plenty of threads and videos on how to do this, describing it step by step. I will keep updating this thread as I progress further with the project.
Appreciate 3
      04-22-2021, 05:25 PM   #6
Hoper
Captain
Hoper's Avatar
Australia
171
Rep
665
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canberra Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post
Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone.

A big update on the car. I initially wanted to purchase a manual 335i e92, but wasn't able to find a good example in my price range.

So last year November (only 1 month owning the car!) I bought a manual conversion kit from the UK. I arranged collection and shipping via seafreight - arrived to Adelaide in roughly 3.5 months. The bloke I bought the parts from was great to deal with, as he packaged it all up very nicely using ratchets and shrink wrap.

Why do a manual conversion? I like my car, a lot. I like the colour, low KMs (84k), great interior, I have done a lot of the maintenance and finally, it's fun!


The manual swap

Up until this point, I annoyed vtl a little bit as he guided me through the parts I would need to get this job done. Initially, the plan was to drive down to Melbourne and let Vincent do the work, but I was a little worried that I might get stuck there for a while if we needed a part and had to order online.

So last week Saturday, I decided to tackle the job myself. And I was right - a lot of the parts I had needed to be refreshed/new.

Below are some photos of my progress so far. I apologise if the photo sizes are big, I couldn't figure out how to resize them.


Exhaust and driveshaft out



Auto transmission out, it was a real workout to get the uppermost T14 bolt off the bellhousing. Definitely recommend another pair of hands to assist in bringing the transmission down to the ground and slide it under the car to clear it.


The manual gearbox definitely needed a good clean, before and after a quick spray of break cleaner in the bellhousing.


New slave cylinder and hardline on the gearbox. I do have a brand new clutch delay valve, but after some research, I think I will leave it off for now.


Getting the pedal assembly ready, brand new master cylinder, clips and springs. As well as a new hose to run to the reservoir, the old one was cut right in the middle and it was too short to comfortably reach the reservoir.


Quick test fit of the pedal assembly. I am waiting for a hydraulics shop to make me a flex line to replace the clutch hardline. I have heard some horror stories of people taking apart the interior to run the hardline, I wanted to avoid that and opt for a braided flex line.


I haven't been taking a lot of photos, as there are plenty of threads and videos on how to do this, describing it step by step. I will keep updating this thread as I progress further with the project.
Welcome and nice work

Are you thinking about a new Clutch plate and Dual mass flywheel while you're there? they're costly but might save you having to go back in 2 years down the track

Agree with the clutch delay valve delete, took me a while to realise why the clutch didn't act exactly as I thought it should, BMWs fix for drivers who don't "feel" the clutch, particularly annoying if your changing gears quickly and the clutch slips because it's not where your foot tells you it is

VTL is brilliant and it never ceases to amaze me how much time he puts in helping others, he'll always answer questions

Socks is the same and there's a large group on here with plenty of expertise and experience, so drop questions up here and you'll always get answers and opinions

oh and Nice Car, 84K is awesome she'll be around for some time with the maintenance you've done
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 08:18 PM   #7
umr
New Member
umr's Avatar
Australia
5
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: BMW E92 335i 2008
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Adelaide, SA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoper View Post
Welcome and nice work

Are you thinking about a new Clutch plate and Dual mass flywheel while you're there? they're costly but might save you having to go back in 2 years down the track

Agree with the clutch delay valve delete, took me a while to realise why the clutch didn't act exactly as I thought it should, BMWs fix for drivers who don't "feel" the clutch, particularly annoying if your changing gears quickly and the clutch slips because it's not where your foot tells you it is

VTL is brilliant and it never ceases to amaze me how much time he puts in helping others, he'll always answer questions

Socks is the same and there's a large group on here with plenty of expertise and experience, so drop questions up here and you'll always get answers and opinions

oh and Nice Car, 84K is awesome she'll be around for some time with the maintenance you've done
Thanks Hops!

The clutch plate has 3000km on it, it came with the manual swap and the previous owner had receipts proving their age.

The flywheel has seen better days. I plan on changing to a SMFW and a spec3 clutch in a year or so. So I just need the flywheel to hold up a little more

Currently, the only concern I have is the wiring. I have read forum posts and watched dozens of videos but still a little confused. I guess I just have to dig in and get starts with it - maybe it'll start making sense along the way.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 05:03 AM   #8
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
825
Rep
6,268
Posts

Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (3)

Wow nice work on the MT swap, thats definately a huge DIY mod to undertake!

I'm biased but yeah back when I was looking in 2011-12 was very difficult to find a MT, but I'm glad I took my time to find a clean one and not go for the AT
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
335i, build log, log, n54, n54 335i, sparkling graphite metallic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST