E90Post
 


The Tire Rack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-17-2021, 05:48 PM   #2333
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
upstatedoc's Avatar
5106
Rep
2,087
Posts

Drives: blue streak
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: not downstate

iTrader: (2)

So New York State has had tint laws for years which went unenforced. I decided to get Tint on one of my cars then our wonderful governor made it a law that it would not pass inspection with Tint. So I spent money on Tint got a Tint ticket and then spent money removing the tint.
__________________
2018 Stinger GT
1997 Toyota T100
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan9487.50
Murf9938990.00
mahalom3135.00

      04-17-2021, 05:49 PM   #2334
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
502
Rep
120
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C Sunset Orange
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

I left the house about 8am this morning. I pull up to house 4 hours later and my garage door is open. I did not leave thru garage, car was parked on pad. Nothing in garage seemed disturbed. Door between garage and house is always locked. Alarm was on and did not go off. My sister says no big deal. Someone on block probably has garage door opener on same frequency. I donít buy it. Iím here 6 months, if that was the case, it would have already happened. Not happy. Iím thinking someone is cruising neighborhood and seeing who is on same frequency.
Sometimes I really hate living alone.
You can change your garage door opener code pretty easily, but I'm not sure that will help. Unless someone just got lucky trying random codes, changing the code won't do much. Making a code generator that cycles through all of the codes is easy.

If you want to "harden" your house, you can do that by making your house look less inviting and making the neighbors houses look more inviting. Alarm company signs and stickers that are visible at every entrance is a good start. I'm sure there are more secure garage door openers available, but that could get expensive. Park your BMW in the garage out of sight. Park any expensive car out of sight; don't show what you have. Motion detector lights, cameras (or even fake cameras), leaving lights on, leaving the radio or TV on will all help to some degree.

Really though, it was probable a one-off incident/accident. Maybe you somehow bumped the opener button. Maybe some wayward radio signal triggered your garage.

In this case: One time is an accident, twice is enemy action. There won't be a third time.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan9487.50
Murf9938990.00
cmyx6go6180.00

      04-17-2021, 05:53 PM   #2335
Reborn_
First Lieutenant
194
Rep
358
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (5)

To answer your question, yes, there are latches that you can install on your track and door that will make it far more challenging to mechanically or automatically open the door. They can be a nuisance if you use your door often, but they add a ton of security.

example:
https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-In...a-869977089966
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan9487.50
cmyx6go6180.00

      04-17-2021, 05:54 PM   #2336
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
9488
Rep
18,132
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Did the X at least leave you with a gun?
No such luck.

My gut was to call 911 but after I thought about it, alarm didn’t go off so no one got in the house. I guess I need to put a bolt or something in door frame so it can’t open from outside.

Is this a thing?
In one of my old places, I would slide a metal rod through the holes in the track on the right/left sides of the garage. Doing so would prevent the garage from rolling up.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go6180.00

      04-17-2021, 05:55 PM   #2337
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
9488
Rep
18,132
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
To answer your question, yes, there are latches that you can install on your track and door that will make it far more challenging to mechanically or automatically open the door. They can be a nuisance if you use your door often, but they add a ton of security.
You beat me to it.
Appreciate 1
Reborn_194.00

      04-17-2021, 05:56 PM   #2338
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
502
Rep
120
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C Sunset Orange
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Tint is a violation here if it's applied to the driver or front passenger side windows or the windshield. In California, no tint shall be applied to those windows (...26708(a)(1) CVC covers tint and subsection (a)(2) would cover other obstructions, such as items dangling from a rear view mirror or banners across the top of the windshield).
What does California code say about UV protection film? Or security film? Does the code say "no tint," or "nothing applied to windows?"

Here in NH, according to the local BMW dealer who told me my car wouldn't pass inspection, nothing is allowed to be applied to the front windows, not even clear film.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 06:03 PM   #2339
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
9488
Rep
18,132
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Tint is a violation here if it's applied to the driver or front passenger side windows or the windshield. In California, no tint shall be applied to those windows (...26708(a)(1) CVC covers tint and subsection (a)(2) would cover other obstructions, such as items dangling from a rear view mirror or banners across the top of the windshield).
What does California code say about UV protection film? Or security film? Does the code say "no tint," or "nothing applied to windows?"

Here in NH, according to the local BMW dealer who told me my car wouldn't pass inspection, nothing is allowed to be applied to the front windows, not even clear film.
Clear film is fine as it doesn't obstruct or reduce the ability to see adequately.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 07:35 AM   #2340
Lady Jane
Squidgirl in remission.
Lady Jane's Avatar
Canada
4453
Rep
345
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3 40i and R1200RT
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Atlantic Canada.

iTrader: (0)

Motor Cop 1...Bad guy 0.

And he's riding my bike! Luv you guys! Go get'em! ♥♥♥


__________________
Appreciate 7
Sedan_Clan9487.50
Murf9938990.00
upstatedoc5105.50
fanatic1803.50

      04-18-2021, 07:53 AM   #2341
Lady Jane
Squidgirl in remission.
Lady Jane's Avatar
Canada
4453
Rep
345
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3 40i and R1200RT
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Atlantic Canada.

iTrader: (0)

A couple of years ago, I was invited to ride to Bangor Maine with members of the Blue Knights MC. And was presented with this little token.


Name:  Motor..JPG
Views: 220
Size:  333.1 KB
__________________
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan9487.50
Murf9938990.00
mahalom3135.00

      04-18-2021, 08:10 AM   #2342
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
9488
Rep
18,132
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Motor Cop 1...Bad guy 0.

And he's riding my bike! Luv you guys! Go get'em! [COLOR="Red"]♥♥♥[/COLOR]


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
A couple of years ago, I was invited to ride to Bangor Maine with members of the Blue Knights MC. And was presented with this little token.


Attachment 2582564
That is awesome!!!!!
Appreciate 1
mahalom3135.00

      04-18-2021, 08:24 AM   #2343
Murf993
Major
Murf993's Avatar
8990
Rep
1,228
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Dog Lake, South Frontenac, Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
A couple of years ago, I was invited to ride to Bangor Maine with members of the Blue Knights MC. And was presented with this little token.


Attachment 2582564
Toronto Police bought a bunch of BMW's about 20 years ago. The guys didn't like them and we ended up staying with the Harleys that have been standard use since the beginning of time. Hell, the guys put side cars on them and ride them in the winter here. The BMW's are still around but relegated to the Parking Enforcement guys.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3135.00

      04-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #2344
Lady Jane
Squidgirl in remission.
Lady Jane's Avatar
Canada
4453
Rep
345
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3 40i and R1200RT
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Atlantic Canada.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Toronto Police bought a bunch of BMW's about 20 years ago. The guys didn't like them and we ended up staying with the Harleys that have been standard use since the beginning of time. Hell, the guys put side cars on them and ride them in the winter here. The BMW's are still around but relegated to the Parking Enforcement guys.
The very first BMWs used by Metro were equipped with Nivomat rear shocks and despite their ability to self level, some of your officers plus their hardware were too heavy and the bike would bottom often and the piston inside the shock would eventually collapse. The BMWs are a lot faster and nimble especially in tight alleyways or pursuit. The new Rts have a beefy dial on the fly rear monoshock. Some of you guys just needed to lose weight. hi hi...
__________________
Appreciate 2
Murf9938990.00
mahalom3135.00

      04-18-2021, 09:07 AM   #2345
Murf993
Major
Murf993's Avatar
8990
Rep
1,228
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Dog Lake, South Frontenac, Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
The very first BMWs used by Metro were equipped with Nivomat rear shocks and despite their ability to self level, some of your officers plus their hardware were too heavy and the bike would bottom often and the piston inside the shock would eventually collapse. The BMWs are a lot faster and nimble especially in tight alleyways or pursuit. The new Rts have a beefy dial on the fly rear monoshock. Some of you guys just needed to lose weight. hi hi...
I was never a traffic man (we have a saying about them), but a number of my friends were. It had nothing to do with the shocks or bottoming out. Generally, they found the Harley's more comfortable in traffic, Toronto is a big city with lots of it. So sitting idling was more comfortable with the lower riding position. The notion of using a motorcycle in a pursuit really doesn't factor in because they are rare and frankly discouraged. Too many coppers have been killed on motorcycles. As far as "nimble" goes, I would put some of my friends on the precision team against just about anyone riding anything. I know the BMW is faster, and some of the guys liked that but it really isn't a factor in the city as much as it is on the highway. Hell, ever the OPP and just about every other police service in Ontario who has motorcycles still use Harley's. http://tpsnews.ca/blogs/2014/09/to-tops-two-wheels/
Appreciate 2
Lady Jane4452.50
mahalom3135.00

      04-18-2021, 09:43 AM   #2346
Murf993
Major
Murf993's Avatar
8990
Rep
1,228
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Dog Lake, South Frontenac, Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I was never a traffic man (we have a saying about them), but a number of my friends were. It had nothing to do with the shocks or bottoming out. Generally, they found the Harley's more comfortable in traffic, Toronto is a big city with lots of it. So sitting idling was more comfortable with the lower riding position. The notion of using a motorcycle in a pursuit really doesn't factor in because they are rare and frankly discouraged. Too many coppers have been killed on motorcycles. As far as "nimble" goes, I would put some of my friends on the precision team against just about anyone riding anything. I know the BMW is faster, and some of the guys liked that but it really isn't a factor in the city as much as it is on the highway. Hell, ever the OPP and just about every other police service in Ontario who has motorcycles still use Harley's. http://tpsnews.ca/blogs/2014/09/to-tops-two-wheels/
Don't get me wrong, I love BMW motorcycles. But I also know that you use the right tool for the job. I did a bit of research. TPS has been using motorcycles since 1912, they have had Honda, Triumph, Norton, BMW but mostly HD. I remember the first BMW's were about 20 years ago they also bought some in 2010 for a trial, but they seem to stick with HD.

Here's an article if you're interested about the last trial of BMW's in 2010. This was at the beginning of the year long trial.

https://www.toronto.com/news-story/5...w-motorcycles/
Appreciate 2
Lady Jane4452.50
mahalom3135.00

      04-18-2021, 10:24 AM   #2347
Lady Jane
Squidgirl in remission.
Lady Jane's Avatar
Canada
4453
Rep
345
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3 40i and R1200RT
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Atlantic Canada.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
But I also know that you use the right tool for the job.
Exactly. And I would never question their choice. On a funny note, when I first arrived in Germany, I remember being passed on the autobahn at a very high rate of speed by a couple of white and green leather clad riders on matching color BMWs. I wondered what club they belonged to...
__________________

Last edited by Lady Jane; 04-18-2021 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Spelling.
Appreciate 1
Murf9938990.00

      04-18-2021, 03:45 PM   #2348
Murf993
Major
Murf993's Avatar
8990
Rep
1,228
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Dog Lake, South Frontenac, Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Exactly. And I would never question their choice. On a funny note, when I first arrived in Germany, I remember being passed on the autobahn at a very high rate of speed by a couple of white and green leather clad riders on matching color BMWs. I wondered what club they belonged to...
So I get that BMW is a great highway bike, but I'll tell you the motorcycle course that TPS and OPP get is great, you can ride when you're done. I know that they routinely travel at well into triple digits and will also make the students run off on the gravel shoulder at those speeds.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 10:16 AM   #2349
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
9488
Rep
18,132
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Exactly. And I would never question their choice. On a funny note, when I first arrived in Germany, I remember being passed on the autobahn at a very high rate of speed by a couple of white and green leather clad riders on matching color BMWs. I wondered what club they belonged to...
So I get that BMW is a great highway bike, but I'll tell you the motorcycle course that TPS and OPP get is great, you can ride when you're done. I know that they routinely travel at well into triple digits and will also make the students run off on the gravel shoulder at those speeds.
The CHP opted for Harley to discourage pursuits. The Motors preferred the BMW's, Honda's and Kawi's.
Appreciate 3
vreihen164035.00
mahalom3135.00
Murf9938990.00

      04-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #2350
mahalom3
Private First Class
135
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Shakir Orange
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Rancho Cucamonga

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Tint citation? What's that?
Having tinted windows on your vehicles is another tool for us in law enforcement to conduct a TS and have probable cause to get in search your vehicle as well. I don't really in force it unless I have to and it all depends on the demeanor of the individual but I know CHP will give you a fix a ticket.
__________________
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan9487.50
Murf9938990.00

      04-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #2351
Murf993
Major
Murf993's Avatar
8990
Rep
1,228
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Dog Lake, South Frontenac, Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
The CHP opted for Harley to discourage pursuits. The Motors preferred the BMW's, Honda's and Kawi's.
I know there are excellent motorcycle cops out there, but doing a pursuit on a motorcycle is dangerous.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan9487.50

      04-19-2021, 11:05 AM   #2352
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
9488
Rep
18,132
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalom3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Tint citation? What's that?
Having tinted windows on your vehicles is another tool for us in law enforcement to conduct a TS and have probable cause to get in search your vehicle as well. I don't really in force it unless I have to and it all depends on the demeanor of the individual but I know CHP will give you a fix a ticket.
Yep! It's mainly a verbal from me as long as everything checks out okay.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
The CHP opted for Harley to discourage pursuits. The Motors preferred the BMW's, Honda's and Kawi's.
I know there are excellent motorcycle cops out there, but doing a pursuit on a motorcycle is dangerous.
Agreed! A friend of mine named Trevor works for Pomona P.D. and he had a horrific crash about 6-7 years ago. He still hasn't fully recovered. We lost a motor deputy a month ago. He was broadsided by a driver in a Mercedes during a pursuit.
Appreciate 2
Murf9938990.00
mahalom3135.00

      04-19-2021, 11:10 AM   #2353
Murf993
Major
Murf993's Avatar
8990
Rep
1,228
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Dog Lake, South Frontenac, Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalom3 View Post
Having tinted windows on your vehicles is another tool for us in law enforcement to conduct a TS and have probable cause to get in search your vehicle as well. I don't really in force it unless I have to and it all depends on the demeanor of the individual but I know CHP will give you a fix a ticket.
I believe what you're referring to is something we call "the attitude test".
Appreciate 2
mahalom3135.00
Sedan_Clan9487.50

      04-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #2354
Lady Jane
Squidgirl in remission.
Lady Jane's Avatar
Canada
4453
Rep
345
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3 40i and R1200RT
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Atlantic Canada.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I know there are excellent motorcycle cops out there, but doing a pursuit on a motorcycle is dangerous.

Maybe but I would trade my day job for that one.


Name:  Moto cops.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  522.9 KB
__________________
Appreciate 5
mahalom3135.00
Sedan_Clan9487.50
vreihen164035.00
Murf9938990.00

Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST