E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > No More Smoke - Valve Stem Seals!

05-30-2023, 10:34 AM   #1
dmckmc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i E60 (2008)

No More Smoke - Valve Stem Seals!

It's been a week of cold starts and many miles since the valve stem seals were replaced and I'm happy to state that my N54 No Longer Smokes, none! Car is 2008 with 135 thousand miles. The job is not small and I ended up replacing the steel cam seals and intake cam shell/bearing housing while I was there. The exhaust valve seals were particularly worn, hardened and some were crumbling. The intake cam shell was severely grooved and I opted to replace it even though the car had no symptoms or problems related to vanos.

Special tools required were a cam lock/timing set, valve spring removal set and a torque wrench with degree function. I'd be curious if anyone successfully used the Lisle, hammer style valve keeper remover instead of the lever style spring compressor set I used.

I made my wife a custom necklace from the old seals and cam rings...she was not impressed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-30-2023, 10:43 AM   #2
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Nice work!

I did camshaft intake bearing ledge tray job. I did use the special C type clamps though to make sure the tray was aligned together when bolting it back. Seems you didn't use those C type tools and that was my biggest hurdle (rented it from someone on the forum at the time, it is so expensive on its own) . I guess yours is all good? I know I'll have to do the job again at one point on the exhaust side and would like to avoid those tools.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2023, 11:36 AM   #3
dmckmc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i E60 (2008)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Nice work!

I did camshaft intake bearing ledge tray job. I did use the special C type clamps though to make sure the tray was aligned together when bolting it back. Seems you didn't use those C type tools and that was my biggest hurdle (rented it from someone on the forum at the time, it is so expensive on its own) . I guess yours is all good? I know I'll have to do the job again at one point on the exhaust side and would like to avoid those tools.
I did not use any clamps for the cam shell when installing. I trusted the dowel pins and hand tightened until all was touching. I used these two youtube vids for help, neither used the special clamps.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 10:27 PM   #4
PranK
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, E90 335i, E70 X5

Nice work!

You gonna pop those necklaces on Etsy? I got a 20 year anniversary coming up.
Appreciate 0