E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > CBU Vs easy off and a shop Vac

06-28-2021, 10:16 AM   #1
deeprecon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

CBU Vs easy off and a shop Vac

Recently (6/21) I serviced my swirl flaps and installed a plate at the EGR.

I had the paper clip mode going, but chose to install a 1/8th Al plate (self made)

Disclaimer, this is my DD and tinker toy ( money pit ) so I don’t recommend the following procedure on any vehicle unless you are willing to fix any issues you create with this method.

***** warning using a Vacuum with any combustible vapor or liquid can and will end badly

I have only 70k on my engine so the CBU was not bad compared to some of the pics I have seen posted. I used two cans of easy off and my shop vac to clean out the CBU in both the intake manifold and Valve ports.

Using a generous amount of easy off inside the manifold, I was able to clean it well with little effort. Tons of youtube videos show this method.

**This is where I went rouge and figured I would do some cleaning before I have the walnut blasting done at 100K.

Time about 4 hours
Skills needed moderate ( take off intake )
Understand you must close the intake valves by hand, just like walnut blasting. If you don’t understand why stop now and pay someone to walnut blast.

Clean by hand scrapping as much Carbon as you can, don’t be lazy use a old tooth brush with a safe solvent = diesel or kerosene. Then clean out the ports with shop towels as best you can, I twisted the towels and inserted them into the ports until they came out without large amounts of black crud.

Easy off time

I took a parts cleaner Nozzle with the red straw and put it on the easy off can so I could control where the easy off went.

Spray small amounts into the port until you see foam, it doesn’t take a lot.

Let sit for 5-10 minutes, clean out with paper towels and the Vacuum

Vacuum out the port as you go, NOTE the shop vac hose will need to be replaced/cleaned unless you don’t care about the inside being caked by all the nasty soot. I have a filter bag installed so no mess inside the canister, I just have to clean my hose with purple power cleaner or dawn.

The results were darn good for chemical cleaning, I ran a scope into the ports and this method did a decent job. Sorry no pics.... my cheap amazon scope doesn't have that feature
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00