E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dealing with neighbors that don't like loud cars

07-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
NFiftyWon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328 X-Drive

Dealing with neighbors that don't like loud cars

So ive always heard of car enthusiasts who have that neighbor who despises loud cars. That has never been an issue for me, until i moved into a more densly populated neighborhood. Although i thought it wouldnt become an issue since i live decently out of the way of the nearby houses, i had someone who lived in the area approach me when i came home from work and went on a rant on how i wake them up (i eave early for work) and how im a disruption to the local populus, etc.

My car is pretty loud (secondary cat & muffler delete, headers)
But not brain drilling like a straight piped dodge or a tin can exhaust.
I dont over rev but the road is uphill so i have to give it a little "oomph"

My response was well formulated, i told them if they got a job they wouldnt be upset at me waking them at 7:00 and that perhaps they should not live near a road that hosts a fair amount of traffic if it is such a big deal. They were angry at this point and told me they were going to report me to the police.

I dont even know if there is a law that they can cite me for, but i am definitely not going to put my exhaust back together and lose the gains. Also this county is free of emmision standards, so the cop cant use that as an excuse to give me any citations.

Has anyone had this problem before? If so- how do you recommend i resolve the issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
LGCubana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Try a different gear when on the incline and stop giving credence to BMW owners are dick$.
Appreciate 3
al8apex24.50
      07-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Get louder pipes till it deafens them...then they will no longer notice said loud pipes.
Jks man....but seriously just try to not be obnoxiously loud when you come home....and if that's not good enough then just ignore them....can't make everyone happy!
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

You sound like a dick.
Appreciate 3
sirdaft12202.50
Volasko705.00
al8apex24.50
      07-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
AlpineBoost
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 Civic Type R

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #6
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

I'd be pissed, too. You're disturbing everyone for 3.5 horsepower and your own amusement.

Plus you're making the air shittier for everyone. Thanks.
Appreciate 3
sirdaft12202.50
al8apex24.50
      07-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #7
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFiftyWon
So ive always heard of car enthusiasts who have that neighbor who despises loud cars. That has never been an issue for me, until i moved into a more densly populated neighborhood. Although i thought it wouldnt become an issue since i live decently out of the way of the nearby houses, i had someone who lived in the area approach me when i came home from work and went on a rant on how i wake them up (i eave early for work) and how im a disruption to the local populus, etc.

My car is pretty loud (secondary cat & muffler delete, headers)
But not brain drilling like a straight piped dodge or a tin can exhaust.
I dont over rev but the road is uphill so i have to give it a little "oomph"

My response was well formulated, i told them if they got a job they wouldnt be upset at me waking them at 7:00 and that perhaps they should not live near a road that hosts a fair amount of traffic if it is such a big deal. They were angry at this point and told me they were going to report me to the police.

I dont even know if there is a law that they can cite me for, but i am definitely not going to put my exhaust back together and lose the gains. Also this county is free of emmision standards, so the cop cant use that as an excuse to give me any citations.

Has anyone had this problem before? If so- how do you recommend i resolve the issue?
move to a neighborhood where you are accepted, such as a riceroni area. bunch a civics and cars with straight pipes and gaybay exhausts.

I'm not sure what u r looking for. legally, you can do a decibel test and if it passes the legal limit for your city, you can use those results. if it don't sell then be legal or become a rice villager
Appreciate 1
al8apex24.50
      07-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #8
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Get louder pipes till it deafens them...then they will no longer notice said loud pipes.
Jks man....but seriously just try to not be obnoxiously loud when you come home....and if that's not good enough then just ignore them....can't make everyone happy!
Oops....didn't see you had headers and muffler delete....might want to tone that down son and perhaps consider muffling that race-car
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #9
Gohan335i7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [10.00]
Cool

Dude, it's your car, if you aren't doing anything illegal those neighbors can suck it. Seriously what happened to all of the cool neighbors?!•*^,^*•!? I live in a well populated neighborhood & no one complains about my performance exhaust and downpipes. It is pretty loud, I imagine your neighbors are just lazy a holes who have noting better to do than bother a neighbor who actually works and has to wake up at 7 AM. Suck it nosy neighbor!

Last edited by Gohan335i7; 07-19-2017 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 2
SlimE92185.50
      07-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #10
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

well if they report you and the police happens to come and check the car , you ll be in some trouble

you are pretty much running straight pipe at this point , assuming you have catless headers, no secondary headers and no mufler

You are not really gaining much with a muffler delete, I would personally put the muffler back and try to be less noisy .
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 08:46 PM   #11
NFiftyWon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racermp View Post
move to a neighborhood where you are accepted, such as a riceroni area. bunch a civics and cars with straight pipes and gaybay exhausts.

I'm not sure what u r looking for. legally, you can do a decibel test and if it passes the legal limit for your city, you can use those results. if it don't sell then be legal or become a rice villager
*gets parts at autozone*
*plasti-dips trim & wheels and spray paints grilles*
*looking for catless dp*
*puts e85 into n55*
*somehow gets coolant in mouth*
*buys $20 ebay tow hook*
*put "earthquake" subs under seat*
*has racer in username*
*calls ME rice*

Haha ok bud.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2017, 08:49 PM   #12
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

*gets parts at autozone*
*plasti-dips trim & wheel and spray paints grilles*
*looking for catless dp*
*puts e85 into n55*
*somehow gets coolant in mouth*
*buys $20 ebay tow hook*
*put "earthquake subs under seat*
*has racer in username*
*calls ME rice*

Haha ok bud.
haha I am a ricer, never hid it. i also have golf tee droney muffler mod, glad you researched. nice comprehensive list I can use. but I don't have neighbor issue..
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #13
NFiftyWon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
haha I am a ricer, never hid it. i also have golf tee droney muffler mod, glad you researched. nice comprehensive list I can use. but I don't have neighbor issue..
Maybe we should get together at the riceroni village bar sometime and drink some coolant
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #14
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe we should get together at the riceroni village bar sometime and drink some coolant
that be awesome, let's do this

i'll bring the 6pack to wash out that bitter taste of coolant! haha

oh dude just saaw u r in colorado, pass around some hash to them neighbors, they'll become friendly

Last edited by racermp; 07-19-2017 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:05 PM   #15
NFiftyWon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
that be awesome, let's do this

i'll bring the 6pack to wash out that bitter taste of coolant! haha

oh dude just saaw u r in colorado, pass around some hash to them neighbors, they'll become friendly
I spent my hash money on a scion forum group buy for a triple stacked spoiler wing #riceroni problems
Appreciate 1
al8apex24.50
      07-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #16
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFiftyWon View Post
I spent my hash money on a scion forum group buy for a triple stacked spoiler wing #riceroni problems
hhahahahah
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #17
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007 Auto

OP, having headers + sec.cat delete and muffler delete = basically a straight pipe man. There's nothing else there left except resonator lol

Now add uphill, add early morning when sound travels loud and far = trouble with neighbors

I would be pissed too if my neighbors pulled that. I can understand headers + PE or headers + sec.cats delete only (with muffler intact), but in your case dude you are LOUD man

Consider putting muffler back and problem will be solved. I hope you know that muffler is not affecting anything, even sec.cats in our e90 series are not restrictive enough to make a difference (they are 200 cells lol) - I mean you can get maybe 2-3hp on 7000rpm on a good day (not to mention you are probably loosing hp/tq on low-mid rpms because of this) - are this gains worth headache and police hassle?

OP anything beyond headers - is a pennies in terms of hp gains - not worth issues and troubles, not to mention you are slowly damaging your health and health of people around you breathing that smelly exhaust

You want gains - do a tune, a meth-nitro setup, a weight reduction, heck let's be honest just sell your 32slow and buy a proper car for build/modding - but getting into life long neighbor fight and hate for 3hp gain is as stupid as it gets lol
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #18
NFiftyWon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55jb4 View Post
OP, having headers + sec.cat delete and muffler delete = basically a straight pipe man. There's nothing else there left except resonator lol

Now add uphill, add early morning when sound travels loud and far = trouble with neighbors

I would be pissed too if my neighbors pulled that. I can understand headers + PE or headers + sec.cats delete only (with muffler intact), but in your case dude you are LOUD man

Consider putting muffler back and problem will be solved. I hope you know that muffler is not affecting anything, even sec.cats in our e90 series are not restrictive enough to make a difference (they are 200 cells lol) - I mean you can get maybe 2-3hp on 7000rpm on a good day - are this gains worth headache and police hassle?

OP anything beyond headers - is a pennies in terms of hp gains - not worth issues and troubles, not to mention you are slowly damaging your health and health of people around you breathing that smelly exhaust

You want gains - do a tune, a meth-nitro setup, a weight reduction - but getting into life long neighbor fight and hate for 3hp gain is as stupid as it gets lol
I would put the muff back on but i would have to retune as well since im tuned for muff delete (higher rpm limit) actually adds 7ish hp on top end if i get perfect shifts
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #19
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFiftyWon View Post
I would put the muff back on but i would have to retune as well since im tuned for muff delete (higher rpm limit) actually adds 7ish hp on top end if i get perfect shifts
Have you had before and after dyno runs? I bet results may surprise you. This was discussed to death on forums and imho it's a snake oil unless you can see dyno results with your own eyes
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12202.50
      07-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #20
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n55jb4 View Post

Consider putting muffler back and problem will be solved. I hope you know that muffler is not affecting anything, even sec.cats in our e90 series are not restrictive enough to make a difference (they are 200 cells lol) - I mean you can get maybe 2-3hp on 7000rpm on a good day - are this gains worth headache and police hassle?

You want gains - do a tune, a meth-nitro setup, a weight reduction - but getting into life long neighbor fight and hate for 3hp gain is as stupid as it gets lol
how about having one straight pipe and one muffler. have a valve on the straight pipe to close it off when you need to.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #21
NFiftyWon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
how about having one straight pipe and one muffler. have a valve on the straight pipe to close it off when you need to.
I think im going to go with pvc pipe and a campbells tomato soup can. The villagers will appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:52 PM   #22
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think im going to go with pvc pipe and a campbells tomato soup can. The villagers will appreciate it
soup soup
Appreciate 0