E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Manuals, Invoice/MSRP Pricing, Buying Guides, Bulletins, etc. > Official new 2009 US E90/91 specs info - BMW release

07-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #23
digivue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

No DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #24
mihoyoshioka
Rep
Drives: 335i

we should burn BMW infront of BMW HQ if we dont get DCT in US.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #25
Innerloop
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAaaAR View Post
The fact that nobody has yet able to confirm that the US 2009 E92 coupe is getting DCT is probably a sign that we won't get one.

All the other countries already know.
Yeah, I've pretty much written it off. I wonder WHY no DCT? Emissions approval problems? Maybe limited supply from the manufacturer and there aren't enough for the larger US market yet? US Market is huge for automatics compared to elsewhere, so if they have a limited supply of DCT or a large supply or Steptronics, then the US market would be the place to cut-off.

Still, I would have preferred even if they were limited supply, at least make it a buy-up option from the automatic. Lame.

I assume no way to sneak one across the border?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #26
Balthazar_B
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerloop View Post
Yeah, I've pretty much written it off. I wonder WHY no DCT? Emissions approval problems? Maybe limited supply from the manufacturer and there aren't enough for the larger US market yet? US Market is huge for automatics compared to elsewhere, so if they have a limited supply of DCT or a large supply or Steptronics, then the US market would be the place to cut-off.

Still, I would have preferred even if they were limited supply, at least make it a buy-up option from the automatic. Lame.

I assume no way to sneak one across the border?
Good question about why no DCT. I would doubt an emissions problem, especially as some other countries are as or more stringent than the US (also, in other BMW literature, I believe they mention that DCT achieves 5% better gas mileage than either the standard manual or Steptronic). *If* DCT is not an option on US/NA builds while it is everywhere else in the world, one wonders why anyone in North America would want to do business with a car manufacturer like BMW--unless of course they're a dealer and have no choice--as opposed to, say, Lexus, Audi, and Infiniti, who are aggressive about introducing useful new technologies to the NA market and everywhere else.

Last edited by Balthazar_B; 07-17-2008 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #27
Ackrite
The Wizard
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i xDrive M-Sport

TBH, I haven't read through the full PDF yet. For anyone who has, any signs of the BMW High-Performance Audio system being available? I've heard nothing but great things from those in other countries that have the option.
'00 e46 323i *retired*
'84 e23 733i *retired*
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #28
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
I wonder if the front lights will fit without body work, they look aweful close I bet its off though just by enough.

No DCT is disappointing, although I would rather have the manual anyway.
      07-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #29
BMW3R
Bimmer User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 Mazda3  [0.00]
I don't think that there will be DCT on MY09 since I have been waiting 8 months just to get my 2008 E90 M3 with DCT. My M3 still won't be here in the US until 8-12-2008.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 06:23 PM   #30
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [9.66]
heated steering wheel?!?!?!

son of a...

I wonder if there will be a way to retrofit this, I hate driving with gloves in the winter time

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #31
closer98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Audi S4 & 2012 MB GL 550

I am so glad I got my late production 2008 e 90 sedan......I missed out new idrive (not the biggest deal bust still sucks), front pdc (had it in my 545i) and heated wheel (one of the things I knew I would miss most from the 545i). whatever car is still sick....
2005 E60 545i Gray/Black 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 08:45 PM   #32
ik999
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f32 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daya View Post
heated steering wheel?!?!?!

son of a...

I wonder if there will be a way to retrofit this, I hate driving with gloves in the winter time
-_-

this is one feature that I would really really like

if they put it into the M3, then we might be able to fit heated M steering wheels onto our cars
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #33
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackrite View Post
TBH, I haven't read through the full PDF yet. For anyone who has, any signs of the BMW High-Performance Audio system being available? I've heard nothing but great things from those in other countries that have the option.
I really, really want that, too. It comes under the "BMW Individual" program, which we don't get access to in the US....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #34
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

Heated steering wheel is great to have for cold weather. It's long overdue for the 3 series.

Isn't DCT a more expensive option that STEP? I think marketing probably decides that most every day drivers don't need this.
      07-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #35
Balthazar_B
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
Heated steering wheel is great to have for cold weather. It's long overdue for the 3 series.

Isn't DCT a more expensive option that STEP? I think marketing probably decides that most every day drivers don't need this.
Most everyday drivers don't need a BMW. Unfortunately for whatever marketing dweeb at BMW may have made that decision (should it prove to be so) to make DCT available on 335i coupes/cabrios everywhere else in the world but North America, many, many potential US/NA BMW buyers know the difference between DCT and the obsolete stuff they'll be foisting on us in '09. While I'm not particularly a nationalist, I can also understand if many of them are PO'd just on principle.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #36
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Updates Make Sense

I think their update scheme makes sense. They're freshening the cars in the order they were originally released. Weren't the E90 / E91 models released first in the USA, followed by the E92 then E93 eight months later?

Maybe BMW feel it's too soon to re-tool for those models and will, instead, update them sometime next year. Maybe they'll be 2009.5 models or something. They've done that before.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #37
Balthazar_B
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
I think their update scheme makes sense. They're freshening the cars in the order they were originally released. Weren't the E90 / E91 models released first in the USA, followed by the E92 then E93 eight months later?

Maybe BMW feel it's too soon to re-tool for those models and will, instead, update them sometime next year. Maybe they'll be 2009.5 models or something. They've done that before.
But they've already retooled for the 335i coupe and cabrio, which is why DTC is an available option everywhere else in the world. It's kind of like they had a warehouse of old Steptronic assemblies someone decided would be better to ship to America than to write off and send to a recycler.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #38
digivue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

I don't know what BMW is thinking about DCT. Playing catch up with competition (AUDI), which had DSG for years now... Anyways, they playing catch up in general and iDrive's controller shift towards Audi's MMI style is a proof of that. And it seems they're doing it veeery slowly. Why not get it right from the first time. Maybe they think that bimmer loyalists would eat anything they feed them? A bit of neglection from their side IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #39
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
good discussion here. It sucks that NA is getting the shaft (again)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 11:23 PM   #40
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digivue View Post
I don't know what BMW is thinking about DCT. Playing catch up with competition (AUDI), which had DSG for years now... Anyways, they playing catch up in general and iDrive's controller shift towards Audi's MMI style is a proof of that. And it seems they're doing it veeery slowly. Why not get it right from the first time. Maybe they think that bimmer loyalists would eat anything they feed them? A bit of neglection from their side IMO.
The Audi DSG can not be compared to the BMW unit, plain and simple. It (Audi) would not support anything but transverse engines (BMW has NONE) and could not handle the torque of a 6. Audi did not develop (or oversee the development) of the DSG, it was and is property of Borg Warner and Audi had the sole license with them until recently, so other FWD cars will now have the same box.

BMW has had their version of the DSG since late 2005 early 2006. It has been tested in the real world for over 2 years and tweaked a bit so it will provide the most in terms of reliability, efficiency and performance. It can handle power across the entire lineup.

BTW-The current sport AUTO 335 by ZF will meet almost the performance of the Audi unit at a lower price point, it is not a DCT but the most advanced auto in the market, this was a stop gap until the DCT was finalized and very successful and will continue to be so.

The original iDrive concept did indeed include buttons like the MMI, but was changed when Siemens VDO developed the original system. They added haptic feedback and the "slide" which made sense but the processing power was weak and could not support the necessary speed. ()

BMW has focussed their current attention and design efforts to Efficient Dynamics, to increase performance and Efficiency at the same time. Audi or any other manufacturer can not match that and with the newer engines, regenerative braking, start/stop etc.
Those in the EU can especially comment on all of that.
BMW has reduced there emissions and increased their efficiency more than any other over the last decade. BMW has stated they rather increase the entire brands efficiency than just have one efficient car. They have been very successful in this regard and recent sales/tax brackets in the EU show this. Mercedes is now following suite with their "Blue" line do similar things the BMW. VW/Audi will start their program soon as well.

So in the grad scheme BMW is ahead of the curve where it counts NOW, they saw an issue and chose to address it proactively. They could not change the iDrive b/c of the contract with the original vendor and the proprietary software the vendor had the sole rights to modify....
BMW has wanted improvements but has been at the mercy of the vendor (I was told this many times over the past year as Becker developed the new system). BMW and Audi worked together originally on the over system concepts for MOST and the nav and interfaces.

The real issue is that BMW and other markers will concentrate less on the US market b/c of the weak dollar and the poor economic conditions. Other markets are more valuable as they will make more money per unit sold, Selling one car in the ROW= 10 cars sold in the US, not real tough to figure out where they care about more.

The US will see this more until things improve.

Is BMW perfect, NO but at the same time neither is any other brand. They can not always be first with technology as it is not cost effective and they would need to charge and even greater premium, and being first or initiating a concept can also lead to growing pains (SMG) and you need to know when to cut your losses and try something else.

BMW is the first with full in car internet, first to allow maps being sent to the car, not to mention BMW Assist etc (all with older iDrive) Was the first with Bluetooth, First Xenon, Active steering, LIVE owners manual, REAL torque vectoring (not SHAWD junk) etc. It is not like they have not introduced anything and there is some amazing stuff coming..... you will see and be very surprised.
      07-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #41
omerfar23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335i, 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Read the details.. This new one has solar sensors and polution sensors and mist sensors and it adjusts itself automatically based on those conditions...
I did read and as I said I couldn't figure what was new. anyways even if you are right and they have added one has solar sensors and pollution sensors and mist sensors that help system adjust itself automatically its still a very crappy POS climate control. My 1994 Nissan Maxima had a better more intelligent system than the current system. Ready from flames from an another BMW fanboy.
      07-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #42
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #43
HST
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post

The real issue is that BMW and other markers will concentrate less on the US market b/c of the weak dollar and the poor economic conditions. Other markets are more valuable as they will make more money per unit sold, Selling one car in the ROW= 10 cars sold in the US, not real tough to figure out where they care about more.

The US will see this more until things improve.

I think this is the story here... your dollar isnt worth pissing on!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 11:28 PM   #44
impulsoren
Rep
Drives: Several cars

You guys complain about getting auto instead of DCT...
the fact is most buyers prefer an auto and don't care about the specifics of what type of auto. I went to the local dealer, they are small, had seven 335i-s in stock, all were automatics. Said if i wanted a manual I would have to order.
Appreciate 0