E90Post
 


European Auto Source (EAS)
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > new battery suggestion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-26-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
p1zaul
Private
5
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: e93 black sapphire metallic
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

new battery suggestion

current battery is OEM AGM 92ah it is stamped Feb 2013. was thinking I should get a few more years out of it but am getting the discharge message, and also needing to update time once in a while. once car is off I get the excessive discharge after a few mins of radio on. all of this leads me to think new battery. I do get 14.4 with car running and the battery is coded to AGM 92, but doesn't show it was actually registered unless I don't know what I'm looking at.

in any case is this a decent battery for $150, (25% off)

should I buy the gold for less with only 90ah or Platinum 95ah

any suggestions for around same price?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...agm/10210828-P
__________________
2009 e93 Black Sapphire
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:04 PM   #2
CTinline-six
Winning
CTinline-six's Avatar
United_States
2823
Rep
1,846
Posts

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
My 2006 had an aftermarket battery in it (Autozone maybe?) when I got it, and it lasted about a year longer and died.

My 2009 has the original OEM battery in it still going strong. The OEM batteries are expensive, but that might be what I replace it with considering how long it lasted and the electronic demand these cars have.
__________________
Josh
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:05 PM   #3
p1zaul
Private
5
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: e93 black sapphire metallic
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
My 2006 had an aftermarket battery in it (Autozone maybe?) when I got it, and it lasted about a year longer and died.

My 2009 has the original OEM battery in it still going strong. The OEM batteries are expensive, but that might be what I replace it with considering how long it lasted and the electronic demand these cars have.

was the aftermarket an actual AGM H8?
__________________
2009 e93 Black Sapphire
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:06 PM   #4
BravoJohny33
Captain
253
Rep
976
Posts

Drives: BMW 2010
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: GA

iTrader: (0)

Walmart has a great battery. It comes with a 5 year warranty with 3 year prorate. Its super cheap too.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:07 PM   #5
p1zaul
Private
5
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: e93 black sapphire metallic
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
Walmart has a great battery. It comes with a 5 year warranty with 3 year prorate. Its super cheap too.

can you link to it, trying to buy tomorrow if I can find one. on the website I don't see any thing that matches.
__________________
2009 e93 Black Sapphire
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:16 PM   #6
BravoJohny33
Captain
253
Rep
976
Posts

Drives: BMW 2010
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1zaul View Post
can you link to it, trying to buy tomorrow if I can find one. on the website I don't see any thing that matches.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...up-H8/49988398
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:49 PM   #7
p1zaul
Private
5
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: e93 black sapphire metallic
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

what's the deal with AGM vs normal. it seems lead acid had all higher ratings and less cost

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...up-h8/40647529
__________________
2009 e93 Black Sapphire
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 11:18 PM   #8
BravoJohny33
Captain
253
Rep
976
Posts

Drives: BMW 2010
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1zaul View Post
what's the deal with AGM vs normal. it seems lead acid had all higher ratings and less cost

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...up-h8/40647529
I don't think AGM is worth the upcharge in a car. In motorcycles and jetskis it is but the battery goes in the trunk and we have vent tubes.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #9
p1zaul
Private
5
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: e93 black sapphire metallic
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

best deal on H8 battery

after doing research it seems the best deal is advanced auto parts H8 AGM for $134

maybe less if you use cash back link you can get a referral as well.

this is an AGM H8 with the below specs

900 cold cranking
1000 cranking
160. reserve capacity
95. amp hour[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...igationPath=L1*14920%7CL2*15000%7CL3*15597#


https://www.topcashback.com/ref/member419217144736

retail 195

25% code $49 off

top cash 8% $12 off

$134 all in
Attached Images
 
__________________
2009 e93 Black Sapphire
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #10
tylerboland01
Private First Class
tylerboland01's Avatar
45
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Magnolia, TX

iTrader: (0)

Doesn't matter where you buy a battery from, Walmart, autozone, o'Reilly's. There all rebranded batteries made by Johnson controls. Just pick the one with the best warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #11
p1zaul
Private
5
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: e93 black sapphire metallic
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerboland01 View Post
Doesn't matter where you buy a battery from, Walmart, autozone, o'Reilly's. There all rebranded batteries made by Johnson controls. Just pick the one with the best warranty.
agree, was really looking for best deal. there are apparently only three actual different manufactures, all the auto stores are the same. then exide which is OEM and possibly interstate is also different.
__________________
2009 e93 Black Sapphire
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #12
tlow98
Brigadier General
1122
Rep
3,173
Posts

Drives: 2009 E91
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Walmart h8 $119
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 02:19 PM   #13
lookalikehuuh
Second Lieutenant
41
Rep
204
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
My 2006 had an aftermarket battery in it (Autozone maybe?) when I got it, and it lasted about a year longer and died.

My 2009 has the original OEM battery in it still going strong. The OEM batteries are expensive, but that might be what I replace it with considering how long it lasted and the electronic demand these cars have.
The funny part is that I had the exact opposite experience with my batteries. Went thru 2 OEM batteries in under a year. I said screw this and went to pep boys and bought a BOSCH battery. That battery has been in my car for 7 years and is still going strong *knock on wood* but yeah sometimes its just the luck of the draw I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 02:45 PM   #14
mweisdorfer
Brigadier General
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
1072
Rep
4,713
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1zaul View Post
current battery is OEM AGM 92ah it is stamped Feb 2013. was thinking I should get a few more years out of it but am getting the discharge message, and also needing to update time once in a while. once car is off I get the excessive discharge after a few mins of radio on. all of this leads me to think new battery. I do get 14.4 with car running and the battery is coded to AGM 92, but doesn't show it was actually registered unless I don't know what I'm looking at.

in any case is this a decent battery for $150, (25% off)

should I buy the gold for less with only 90ah or Platinum 95ah

any suggestions for around same price?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...agm/10210828-P
Autozone AGM H8 works good for me.

https://m.autozone.com/batteries-sta...933_25697?aqs=
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #15
milkmaster
Enlisted Member
milkmaster's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 2008 328i Convertible
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Murfreesboro, Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

SO if you get a new battery all installed by yourself, and yet you have no code reader, what is the best option to reset the code in the car? GO to a local shop in the first place?
__________________
"Trust in God and keep your powder dry"
Oliver Cromwell
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #16
mweisdorfer
Brigadier General
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
1072
Rep
4,713
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1zaul View Post
current battery is OEM AGM 92ah it is stamped Feb 2013. was thinking I should get a few more years out of it but am getting the discharge message, and also needing to update time once in a while. once car is off I get the excessive discharge after a few mins of radio on. all of this leads me to think new battery. I do get 14.4 with car running and the battery is coded to AGM 92, but doesn't show it was actually registered unless I don't know what I'm looking at.

in any case is this a decent battery for $150, (25% off)

should I buy the gold for less with only 90ah or Platinum 95ah

any suggestions for around same price?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...agm/10210828-P
Auto Zone's AGM is pretty good
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 11:45 PM   #17
p1zaul
Private
5
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: e93 black sapphire metallic
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaster View Post
SO if you get a new battery all installed by yourself, and yet you have no code reader, what is the best option to reset the code in the car? GO to a local shop in the first place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaster View Post
SO if you get a new battery all installed by yourself, and yet you have no code reader, what is the best option to reset the code in the car? GO to a local shop in the first place?

you want to just get the same battery if you can't get it re coded, it's really only if you change types.
__________________
2009 e93 Black Sapphire
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST