E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d turbo and exhaust problems Help!

02-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #67
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I since the beginning of this post thought i have smelt it inthe cabin, but i could just be paranoid?!

But outside sometimes my engine is very hot and does smell funny.
      02-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #68
e-maps
Banned
Rep
Drives: Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-max View Post
Sorry to hear that you still have problems.

From your description above I wonder if you just happened to stop in the middle of a particulate filter regeneration cycle? I don't know too much about this, and have never noticed it on my 335d, but I remember reading that every once in a while the diesel particulate filter has to be "regenerated", which means heating it up to a very high temperature to burn off the particles that it has accumulated.

Oh, I just found this (it was an dealer's written answer to someone complaining about a 530d throttle response problem in Dec 2005 - and I'm not 100% sure it applies to our cars, but worth a read):

This information about the particulate filter system describes how the system works and should help you to address customer concerns about this system.

In March 2004, BMW introduced the largely maintenance-free 2nd generation particulate filter system into the series production of the 525d and 530d as part of technical measures to fulfil the requirements of the EU4 emissions standard in advance. Other models with particulate filters will gradually follow. The particulate filter reduces particulate emissions to the limit of detection. The catalytic coating of the particulate filter, together with improvements in the engine control, ensure that the particulates deposited in the filter over a certain distance are recombusted on a cyclical basis. The particulate filter system essentially comprises the catalytically coated silicon carbide filter, the sensors for the exhaust-gas temperature and exhaust-gas back-pressure, an additional throttle valve in the engine air system and an extensively enhanced engine control.

The system calculates the load status of the particulate filter on the basis of a range of data provided by the engine control system, such as exhaust-gas back-pressure upstream of the filter, fuel consumption, distance driven and driving style. The engine control initiates automatic cleaning (known as regeneration) of the particulate filter where necessary. The exhaust-gas temperature is increased to approximately 600°C upstream of the particulate filter by a variety of engine measures. This increase in temperature is sufficient to combust the particulates deposited in the filter.

This process, which may last between 10 to 15 minutes, is repeated on a cyclical basis, the frequency depending on the driving style (but no sooner than once around every 180 miles (300 km) and no later than once around every 1200 miles (2,000 km)). If regeneration is interrupted by the engine being switched off, regeneration will be resumed with the next driving cycle. However, to achieve the high exhaust-gas temperature required for successful filter regeneration, the parameters for the quantity and location of injections, together with the air mass (reduction in charge pressure), are modified in the engine control such that their values differ from the normal engine tuning. In addition, the transmission shift points on vehicles with an automatic transmission are adjusted to match those of the S program.

Regeneration of the particulate filter always takes place when the engine is at normal operating temperature. In full throttle mode (not kickdown), there is no difference between the engine tuning and normal tuning during regeneration because the exhaust-gas temperatures are sufficient for the deposits in the filter to be burnt off on their own. Even in this driving mode, however, the transmission shift points on vehicles with an automatic transmission are still adjusted to match those of the S program.

The perceptive customer may notice that vehicle characteristics, such as response and noise, are different during particulate filter regeneration. These differences are related to the modified engine tuning during regeneration and do not constitute a technical fault in the particulate filter system or the vehicle as a whole.

The somewhat delayed response under acceleration, mainly at low engine speeds, results from the reduction of intake air by the throttle valve during regeneration, which does not need to open fully again until there is a significant increase in load. The maximum engine power output available remains available even during regeneration.

The modified injection parameters, such as additional post injections, and the increased exhaust-gas temperature during regeneration affect the noise characteristics of the vehicle, especially towards the low-frequency range when the exhaust system is hot. Noises (sizzling) from the exhaust system may occasionally be heard if the engine is switched off during regeneration. These noises are similar to those heard if the vehicle is parked immediately after a period extremely sporty driving. Odours are common when particulate filters on new vehicles undergo their first regeneration, particularly at low road speeds, because coatings applied during production evaporate (also occurs on vehicles without a particulate filter, but at high speeds on the motorway).

The observations described are, as stated above, normal for the particulate filter system and do not constitute a fault.

The existing quality and longevity risks are increased dramatically if performance tuning is carried out on vehicles with a particulate filter. The calculation models for particulate filter system management stored in the DDE do not work correctly if performance tuning is carried out, which inevitably leads to malfunctions and/or damage. We would also like to point out that performance tuning is generally prohibited by BMW. The same applies to the use of bio-diesel/RME. Their use is therefore not permitted on any BMW EU4 vehicle.

Perhaps someone knows if this is how they still work? As I stated above, I've never noticed any of this on my car, so maybe BMW have improved this since 2005 ...?

Also, I just noticed the warning in the last paragraph about performance tuning... ;-(

The process is still the same and has not changed since 2005. The particle filter system is very good on the 335d/535d as the filter is much bigger than other manufactures and can hold more contents before it starts to regenerate. I have never heard of any failures on BMW's, there were some issues with the back pressure sensors failing on the very early cars but thats is. VAG, Vauxhall and Alfa are having big problems with particle filters blocking up when used on short journeys, school runs ect ect as they never in the correct conditions to regenerate.

A Skoda dealer local to me have stopped selling cars with a particle filters to taxi drivers as they are mostly used in towns/citys and the filter blocks up causing it to fail. Vauxhall had problems with the 1.9cdti engine and did a recall as so many were failing, even some of the VAG's 2.0tdi 170bhp caught fire

BMW have got their design perfect imo
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #69
m.rk77
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

you have to drive at an average of 50km/h for 20 minutes for it to kick on. If it starts and it does not complete properly it will restart when you start the engine again. But a lof os short trips and then a long trip = a stinky regeneration!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #70
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Well.. The diagnosis is delivered.. Two new turbo's needed.

Is there a "Running-in" procedure for new turbo's?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #71
m.rk77
Second Lieutenant
Rep

wow! same as mine! What was the reason? full of oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrogmbh View Post

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #72
PSLG
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: E92 - 335d

Quote:

Hi,

How many kms have your car? you only have the oil leak, just like mine, or the smell to?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #73
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep

oil residues on steering rack and undertray along with the exhaust gas smell described above. 3000 kms

Didn't really ever notice any change in performance. Just the smell and the oil splatter
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 04:35 AM   #74
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
seems all a bit iffy to me. If turbos were shagged she wouldnt perform end off. she would smoke also like a biatch if they were full of oil.
      02-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #75
m.rk77
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think this smell comes from the oil thats inside the various pipes... I think it might eventually burn off...

My turbos were changed and I dont have any other oil leaks just this smell that comes around the same time as the DPF regeneration.

I am assuming that theres some oil left over in various pipes which heat up because of the regeneration process ant the oil burn off, hence the smell. I am still trying to diagnose mine since the service cant seem to do it...

Currently I am waiting for the next regeneration so I can try to identify where the smell is coming from...

Quote:
oil residues on steering rack and undertray along with the exhaust gas smell described above. 3000 kms

Didn't really ever notice any change in performance. Just the smell and the oil splatter
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #76
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep

Depends on the nature of the failure. If the turbo oil seal had failed then I would expect a lot of smoke and in a diesel engine, sometimes catastrophic engine failure due to the ingestion of oil causing the engine to rev uncontrollably. Clearly that isnt the failure mode here. The symptoms suggest maybe a tolerances issue on the turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
seems all a bit iffy to me. If turbos were shagged she wouldnt perform end off. she would smoke also like a biatch if they were full of oil.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #77
m.rk77
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I am happy to report that my DPF went through the regeneration process but the smell was not present. I hope it will not return...

maybe is was some leftover oil from the turbo replacement...

will see next time...
Appreciate 0