E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Seatbelt Handover Fix

09-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Shane23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

DIY: Seatbelt Handover Fix

Your Seatbelt arms are functioning but for some reason the belt doesn't stay on the arm and come all the way forward.. Here's your fix.. I've had this problem for a while on my passenger side, but never got around to it, searched for a fix couldn't find one. After looking at the base where the seatbelt is connected and then at the belt itself, I figured out that it was the seatbelt itself right where the arm "catches" it.

NOTE: Theres an even easier fix at the end of this guide..

Devised a plan executed and success, decided to share for those with same problem. This fix can be done on the belt that doesn't work but I loved the outcome so much I did it to the entire belt on both sides.

This also fixes any seatbelt issues where it gets tangled up or stuck when you take it off.

Tools Required

1. Flat Iron (works best) stolen from GF
2. Regular House Iron (optional)
3. Extension Cord (optional)

1. Swallow your MANLY pride and be prepared to use a Flat Iron ... lol

1a. Determine which side has the problem and look closely at where the arm catches the seatbelt, the problem is the crinkle or bend in the belt where the arm catches it. This wrinkle can be made by use, or if it got stuck while going back, or someone sat on it etc..

2. Get Your Extension Cord and plug your Flat Iron in and let it heat up to about 350 Degrees or Just let it heat up I guess..

If you don't have an extension cord chances are you can probably plug it in warm it up and run back and forth lol.. easier to to just get extension cord

(woman in building yells!!! security!!! theres a guy running back and forth with a hot iron)

3. Use the Flat Iron to First Straighten the bend/wrinkle/crinkle in the portion of the seatbelt that the arm catches. Straighten and hold the iron in the opposite direction of where the bend was going; so if it was bent backwards straighten forwards by twisting it a little while moving up and down. Try not to stay too long in one spot.. After you feel you've done it enough hold the belt in the desired position with your hand as it cools. Don't just let it go.

4. After Step 3 you can test to see if the arm is catching or not try doing it about 3-5 times to make sure, note: the process of the arm grabbing the belt actually begins to bend it back into a crimped position don't worry you'll re-straighten it in a few. After you've tested it a couple of times Repeat Step 3.

4a. Once you've completed Step 3, 4, and 3 again your actually finished.. This next step is for anyone with a seatbelt being stuck problem or if they just want a smoother operating belt. I figured since I was already out there with a flat iron : might as well.

5. Follow the same method as above but do the entire belt, pull the entire belt out and put some tension on it as you begin to straighten about 10-12 inches @ a time or how much ever you can depending on your arms length, remember when straightening there must be tension on the belt otherwise your gonna make it worse. Also here you DONT have to wait for the belt to cool just allow it to smoothly roll back into the pillar having it cool wrapped up is better. But when you get to the part of the belt that hangs outside of the pillar let that part cool before letting it go as you did in Step 3. Once your finished with the entire belt, Repeat Step 3, I just needed to do it one more time to "seal the deal" if you may..

6. Once everything has cooled, Test the seatbelt arm a few times, and pull out the entire belt out and let it go back in a few times verify smooth operation. and Re-straighten anything you don't feel comfortable with.. After That Your DONE !!

My GF suggested spraying it with one of her products but i told her to go away..
Didn't want the car smelling like hair spray, If you don't have a flat iron try your own way of doing the above with a regular house iron whether you should keep the steam on or not I'm unsure..

EDIT: My cousin also suggested some regular spray starch, but to each their own my method above works fine for me as is, lets see how long it lasts before I have to do it again, if i have to..

-------------------------
NEW FIX FOUND

Ok so day 2 of me opening and closing this thing on purpose, it still works and only jumped off the arm once or twice.. Im anal, so I want it to work as flawlessly as the drivers side, so i took another look at the belt..

When the arm catches it, it literally puts the bend right back into the belt, so I wondered what can i do instead of ironing this crap again.. same thought process of ironing it straight, why don't I just bend it properly.. Duh...

Mini Steps to Quick & Easier New Fix

1. Look the the belt where the arm is causing the bend its seems to be bent close as tho your closing a book.

2. So umm the fix would be to bend it like your opening a book duh pretty stupid right Do this and hold it for a second and just simply let it go. Test and Voila ..... Again.. After bout 10-15 Back to Back Tests, I can say that this is definitively fixed.. Again..

I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that flat ironed it or not, but it works without falling @ all.. And even better if it does fall again, you don't have to get a flat iron to fix it, just hop in the back grab the belt and bend it once more..
Attached Images

Last edited by Shane23; 09-22-2011 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Evimero335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Excellent Write up! lol Cant wait to try this out!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Crazylegs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Black on Red 335I

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

I'm so tired of having people sit in my car and go "it missed". I miss the days of "thank you bimmer"
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
C.D.335xi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Garage List
2014 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Nice DIY. Looks like a great solution to a common problem.
      09-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
      09-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
Agent11br
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Garage List
OMFG YOU ARE A GENIUS!

Im going to give this a whirl over the weekend, cannot wait to post results.
      09-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Lol this is very random tools to use, how'd you come about using a flat iron as your tool of choice?
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #8
Shane23
Private First Class
Rep

Lol Thx Guys..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Lol this is very random tools to use, how'd you come about using a flat iron as your tool of choice?
Lol watching this woman straighten her hair with it all the damn time, a light bulb turned on.. Lol i was actually going to be running back and forth with the iron..

Last edited by Shane23; 09-22-2011 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #9
Shane23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11br View Post
OMFG YOU ARE A GENIUS!

Im going to give this a whirl over the weekend, cannot wait to post results.
Please do, im on day 2 and it seems to be fine. When I get in the car after putting my belt on, I reach over and open the passenger door, push my hand down on the pass seat then close the door so it comes out and so far so good. It jumped yesterday but it was bcuz the rear passenger had her feet on the base part..

Im thinkin of puttin some WD-40 on my fingers and lube up that pipe the belt is connected to..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane23 View Post
Lol Thx Guys..

Lol watching this woman straighten her hair with it all the damn time, a light bulb turned on.. Lol i was actually going to be running back and forth with the iron..
Mmmmmmmm might try this! Hopefuly it'll work on my e90 seat belts shit always get stuck!!!
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #11
Shane23
Private First Class
Rep

Ok guys, you may be a bit disappointed but theres an even easier fix to this problem.. another light bulb just turned on in my head.. ill add it to tutorial above.. SMH :
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
Vesar
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 320i Ε92 M-Sport

Garage List
2007 BMW 320i  [10.00]
OMG thats awesome mate!!!! I have the same problem on my e92 and i will sure try it
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
jerflash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328xi/2002 ws6

i will have to try this now....i really hate how people always ask why it doesnt work!!!!
      09-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #14
Shane23
Private First Class
Rep

any success?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
UltimateLurker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i AW M-Sport

Hmm, I don't think this is a permanent solution and I will tell you why. Bending the belt in the right direction won't last more than a few days and adds even more flex to the belt. What holds the belt to the handover is the belts rigidity. After prolong use, it becomes soft and slips off the handover. What is needed is a rigid portion of belt that can withstand long term use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
If only JB3 would do that too.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #16
cole92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: too much

Bend it, use flat iron, enjoy. Might hold longer
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #17
Shane23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateLurker View Post
Hmm, I don't think this is a permanent solution and I will tell you why. Bending the belt in the right direction won't last more than a few days and adds even more flex to the belt. What holds the belt to the handover is the belts rigidity. After prolong use, it becomes soft and slips off the handover. What is needed is a rigid portion of belt that can withstand long term use.
Its been working for me non-stop, no slipping since i did this just wanted to know if anyone else is having the same luck.. also i understand what ur sayin but my driver's side has never had an issue and if anything it gets 10x more use than the pass side..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole92 View Post
Bend it, use flat iron, enjoy. Might hold longer
Lol i did
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 04:07 AM   #18
burgemaster
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Great Guide, well done...

Can anyone please confirm:
1) Has anyone damaged their seatbelt?
2) Does this work?
3) How long does this last?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 07:18 AM   #19
burgemaster
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Right...

If anyone wants to test before hand whether this in theory "should" work without risking damage to the seatbelt or hassle of doing it, simply roll up about 4 inches of the seatbelt at the bottom by the floor, this means that the handover system will be grabbing some fresh "ungrabbed" seatbelt.

I have tested this by rolling up the bottom on both sides and it has worked every time. So Shane23 is 100% correct! It is the warn/loose/folded seatbelt that is causing it to slip off the handover arm.

Now for the hair straighteners!! fingers crossed I dont wreck the seatbelt

Last edited by burgemaster; 10-30-2011 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
Brmracer
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Has anyone had success with this method? I would love to save a trip to the stealership!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #21
dreadnaxt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335Xi e92

Hey guys! I bought the car few weeks ago with such problem. I found this topic yesterday and tried the second method today after work. I worked. Don't know how long it will last as I'm still not driving the car (waiting for the plates), just tried two times that the belt is no more sliding from the handover.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #22
Glopez5
First Lieutenant
Honduras
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

any updates from people who have done this?

07 E92 335i -BSM- Sport- iDrive- Premium- Cold Weather- Aero Lip- M3 Trunk Lip- Injen Dual Cone- Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads- R1 Premium Cross Drilled Rotors- H&R Sport -JB4+Ethonal- - Raceland DPs - Avant Garde M310- Alpine TypeR 10''- Alpine MRP-M500 Amp
Appreciate 0