E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Is that oil filter housing gasket or cover leaking?

01-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
sam_miu
BMW fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Coupe

Is that oil filter housing gasket or cover leaking?

Hey guys, I've just bought a 2010 BMW 328 coupe. Although all my friends suggested me not to get a BMW cause I'm going back to China 2 years later and I need to sell the car again at that time. But I just can't help being addicted to BMW. I would like to maintain it well during my usage.

Unfortunately, an issue showed up recently. I noticed oil leaking out of my oil filter. I watched plenty of youtube car issues diagnosis videos, but I don't know what the issue is. So what is the problem: the dysfunction of the oil filter gasket or can I just simply change oil filter housing cover seal ring ?

Thanks for your time. I am looking forward to your help.
Attached Images

Last edited by sam_miu; 01-13-2019 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: change pic
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Whoever did the last oil change did not reassemble the oil filter cap correctly. Buy a new MANN HU-816x oil filter (Autozone stocks them) and follow the DIY instructions on how to properly locate the small green o-ring and the larger black o-ring. Once you have the original manufacturer oil filter parts properly in place and the cap tightened to 25NM, it should be leak free.

Looking at the oil filter cap, it looks all chewed to hell, so get a new oil filter cap from BMW ($20) and the correct cap wrench, which is a 86.4mm 16 flute cap-wrench.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-13-2019 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      01-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Whoever did the last oil change did not reassemble the oil filter cap correctly. Buy a new MANN HU-816x oil filter (Autozone stocks them) and follow the DIY instructions on how to properly locate the small green o-ring and the larger black o-ring. Once you have the original manufacturer oil filter parts properly in place and the cap tightened to 25NM, it should be leak free.

Looking at the oil filter cap, it looks all chewed to hell, so get a new oil filter cap from BMW ($20) and the correct cap wrench, which is a 86.4mm 16 flute cap-wrench.
This. The last guy screwed up the replacement of the filter. After you get the filter fixed and cleaned up, you can then have a better look at the base of the OFH.
      01-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Who did your oil change?

Don't ever go back there again.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17203.50
feuer4275.50
      01-15-2019, 12:46 AM   #5
sam_miu
BMW fan
United_States
Rep

Thank you, my friend, your suggestion helped me a lot. I changed the oil filter and seal O-ring then closed the cap with a proper wrench. it works the leaking stop.
      01-15-2019, 12:54 AM   #6
sam_miu
BMW fan
United_States
Rep

yep, maybe the former owner did it. I will probably change the engine oil by my self next time. thank you my friend
      01-15-2019, 12:55 AM   #7
sam_miu
BMW fan
United_States
Rep

I cleaned it up. cause I just got this car 2 weeks ago. I would check the engine every time after I drive this car. Luckily I found this problem so early.

Thank you my friend
      01-15-2019, 12:57 AM   #8
sam_miu
BMW fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
This. The last guy screwed up the replacement of the filter. After you get the filter fixed and cleaned up, you can then have a better look at the base of the OFH.
I cleaned it up. cause I just got this car 2 weeks ago. I would check the engine every time after I drive this car. Luckily I found this problem so early.

Thank you my friend
      01-15-2019, 12:58 AM   #9
sam_miu
BMW fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Who did your oil change?

Don't ever go back there again.

yep, maybe the former owner did it. I will probably change the engine oil by my self next time. thank you, my friend,
      01-15-2019, 12:59 AM   #10
sam_miu
BMW fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thank you, my friend, your suggestion helped me a lot. I changed the oil filter and seal O-ring then closed the cap with a proper wrench. it works and the leaking stop. you are so professional I thought you are a mechanic.
      01-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_miu View Post
Thank you, my friend, your suggestion helped me a lot. I changed the oil filter and seal O-ring then closed the cap with a proper wrench. it works and the leaking stop. you are so professional I thought you are a mechanic.
Good, I'm glad it worked for you. If you do not DIY your stuff like oil changes and such, I recommend taking the car to a BMW-certified mechanic, preferably an independent shop that works on German cars. Mechanics unfamiliar with BMWs can screw up a BMW in a heartbeat.

There was a recent thread on here where the OP took his car to a shop for an oil change and the mechanic removed the inner stem of the oil filter cap (the plastic cage the oil filter fits over). It was causing VANOS problems.

I'm no professional mechanic, just a car geek, and I write technical stuff for a living... well sorta; I have to edit what engineers write.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 01:18 AM   #12
sam_miu
BMW fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good, I'm glad it worked for you. If you do not DIY your stuff like oil changes and such, I recommend taking the car to a BMW-certified mechanic, preferably an independent shop that works on German cars. Mechanics unfamiliar with BMWs can screw up a BMW in a heartbeat.

There was a recent thread on here where the OP took his car to a shop for an oil change and the mechanic removed the inner stem of the oil filter cap (the plastic cage the oil filter fits over). It was causing VANOS problems.

I'm no professional mechanic, just a car geek, and I write technical stuff for a living... well sorta; I have to edit what engineers write.
Thanks for your recommendations. The reason I bought this car was that I wanted to promote my knowledge of the car engineer and fixing skills. And I am a big fan of BMW. And as you mentioned the VANOS, now I am searching what it is hhhhhhh....
      01-29-2019, 12:57 PM   #13
sam_miu
BMW fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Do you know is there any rally held up by BMW fans?
      01-30-2019, 09:16 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_miu View Post
Do you know is there any rally held up by BMW fans?
No.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 05:50 AM   #15
Mikes shade tree
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Oil filter housing gasket?

I noticed a bad oil leak recently coming from around the oil filter housing. Suspect a bad filter housing gasket. I've read some of the related posts here and thank you! If replacing the gasket, do I really need to drain ALL the radiator coolant first, or can I drain just enough to get the coolant level lower than where the filter housing is (to minimize spillage, and reduce waste of the new coolant I just changed last fall)?
Any input would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes shade tree View Post
I noticed a bad oil leak recently coming from around the oil filter housing. Suspect a bad filter housing gasket. I've read some of the related posts here and thank you! If replacing the gasket, do I really need to drain ALL the radiator coolant first, or can I drain just enough to get the coolant level lower than where the filter housing is (to minimize spillage, and reduce waste of the new coolant I just changed last fall)?
Any input would be appreciated
I recommend draining the coolant and removing the hose to the OFH for the OFHG procedure. Just drain the radiator, once it stops the coolant level is low enough. Trying to stop the flow in mid stream just makes a mess. The coolant refill and bleed procedure is so easy on the E9X with either engine, it makes sense just drain it. If you use a clean pan to drain the coolant into, you can reuse the coolant and really not lose any.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #17
Mikes shade tree
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Good ideas!
Thanks
Appreciate 0