E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil still leaking after OFH gasket replaced and low oil pressure light

11-19-2018, 08:55 PM   #23
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkN54 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Intake manifold gaskets won't cause a huge leak. They will blow codes. Head gasket is unlikely. If you your oil is frothy, that's a tell take sign assuming your OFHG is good.

It's gotta be either your Front Crank Seal or your OFHG. I think the bolts for the OFHG are steel. They are not one time use. I did mine about 60,000 miles ago or 4 years so I am a little fuzzy on.

Given you are seeing oil on the back side of the alternator, I'd rule out the front crank seal.

So, OFHG.....

What car do you have ? 328 or 335??

I have a 2008 335xi coupe, I replaced the front crank seal thinking that was the problem and it wasn’t, oil is coming just underneath the head gasket in the front of the engine and oil is pooling up behind the manifold could the block side where the oil filter housing sits be damaged? I have pictures I just don’t know how to upload to here... I am using a oil dye and it’s definitely coming just under the OFH under the head gasket
Your OFH could be damaged... did you buy it brand new?

No frothy oil? Look into your valve cover via the fill hole.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 06:34 AM   #24
MarkN54
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335xi 2008

Quote:

It’s not damaged it leaks the same amount as my old one did valve cover was just done it’s not leaking from valve cover. The oil doesn’t look frothy, by frothy do you mean mixing with coolant?

I forgot to mention that when I bought the car the stem/stick part that attached to the oil filter cap was not there. I bought a new one changed the filter and still same thing
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 07:40 AM   #25
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
I have a 2008 335xi coupe, I replaced the front crank seal thinking that was the problem and it wasn’t, oil is coming just underneath the head gasket in the front of the engine and oil is pooling up behind the manifold could the block side where the oil filter housing sits be damaged? I have pictures I just don’t know how to upload to here... I am using a oil dye and it’s definitely coming just under the OFH under the head gasket
Vanos solenoid seals, maybe? It's possible that as you drive, or the radiator fans blow, it's pushing the oil from the front of the block and around the side.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #26
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

It’s not damaged it leaks the same amount as my old one did valve cover was just done it’s not leaking from valve cover. The oil doesn’t look frothy, by frothy do you mean mixing with coolant?

I forgot to mention that when I bought the car the stem/stick part that attached to the oil filter cap was not there. I bought a new one changed the filter and still same thing
Frothy - yes a mixture of coolant & oil.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #27
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

Frothy oil could simply be condensation from constantly doing short trips.
feuer4275.50
      11-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #28
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:

So heres is what I did, I took the valve cover off and the 2 head bolts in the front right I tightened, they each moved a quarter of a turn I’m in the process of putti everything together... will let you guys know what happens. Head bolts shouldn’t move...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #29
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

So heres is what I did, I took the valve cover off and the 2 head bolts in the front right I tightened, they each moved a quarter of a turn I’m in the process of putti everything together... will let you guys know what happens. Head bolts shouldn’t move...
I'd probably get the torque specs for the head bolts & re-torque all of them.

Make sure you apply a bead of Ultra Black in the grove where the new oem, VC Gasket goes. Press in the new gasket into the groves that you just put a bead of Ultra Black into. Then put another bead of Ultra Black on top of the freshly pressed gasket. Then put the VC on the head & tighten it down using the suggested order, in either the ECS tuning guide or the Bentley Repair Manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #30
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'd probably get the torque specs for the head bolts & re-torque all of them.

Make sure you apply a bead of Ultra Black in the grove where the new oem, VC Gasket goes. Press in the new gasket into the groves that you just put a bead of Ultra Black into. Then put another bead of Ultra Black on top of the freshly pressed gasket. Then put the VC on the head & tighten it down using the suggested order, in either the ECS tuning guide or the Bentley Repair Manual.
So I put everything back together after tightening the head bolts in the front by the vanos, still leaking but not as much I believe the bolts are stretched and I need new ones but i have to remove the the vanos and chain to access them to take them out and put new ones in, man at least I figured out this stupid ass leak, fingers crossed hoping this solves it will update again
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 06:16 PM   #31
Ronin416
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Vanos solenoid seals, maybe? It's possible that as you drive, or the radiator fans blow, it's pushing the oil from the front of the block and around the side.
This is what I was thinking too. I have a similar problem of oil coming from the top of the motor. My OFHG is dry, I did the VC back in August but it wasn't leaking anyways.

What Emilime says makes sense as I always get oil build up and dirt on the front of my Vanos solenoids. I am going to replace the Vanos seals and the seals of the two plugs that are just underneath the valve cover in the front (right and left of the solenoids). So far the oil leak has killed 3 water pumps and I'm going crazy trying to figure it out.

Let me know how it works out Mark.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 10:47 PM   #32
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin416 View Post
This is what I was thinking too. I have a similar problem of oil coming from the top of the motor. My OFHG is dry, I did the VC back in August but it wasn't leaking anyways.

What Emilime says makes sense as I always get oil build up and dirt on the front of my Vanos solenoids. I am going to replace the Vanos seals and the seals of the two plugs that are just underneath the valve cover in the front (right and left of the solenoids). So far the oil leak has killed 3 water pumps and I'm going crazy trying to figure it out.

Let me know how it works out Mark.
I’m trying my best man will let you guys know! OFHG is definitely not leaking on mine either vanos are dry, camshaft sensors o rings replaced still same leak same amount of oil. Head is dry to! This is coming crazy
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #33
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
It is painful to read of your experiences with this problem.

I don't know what the issue is but here are three thoughts:

1) The leak persists even though you've replaced the OFHG several times, once with silicone sealer and even tried installing a new OFH. Assuming you did a good job cleaning the mating surfaces, the most straightforward conclusion is that the OFH and gasket are not the problem. Very unlikely to involve the OFH cap either because even a blind man could spot oil leaking from there. Impossible to involve intake manifold gaskets as suggested by someone earlier.

2) Although several have stated that N54 don't have head gasket issues, I am here to tell you that they can. I experienced a very small oil leak that seemed to come from the head gasket in the area above the HPFP. The location made it quite obvious it was not from the usual suspects. In any case, replacing the head gasket solved the problem. Head gasket replacement is a fairly big job, not to be undertaken without very good reason and I'm not saying this explains your leak. Just keep an open mind.

3) The only way I ever made progress with oil leaks (and I've experienced many in two N54 engines) was to thoroughly, obsessively and 110% completely clean, clean, clean all the areas conceivably involved. Once you have a really, really, really clean engine, you can usually make a definitive assessment of the origin of the leak.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #34
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
It is painful to read of your experiences with this problem.

I don't know what the issue is but here are three thoughts:

1)
3) The only way I ever made progress with oil leaks (and I've experienced many in two N54 engines) was to thoroughly, obsessively and 110% completely clean, clean, clean all the areas conceivably involved. Once you have a really, really, really clean engine, you can usually make a definitive assessment of the origin of the leak.
Yeah this is also one thing I think you should do. Make your block litereally spotless like brand new. It's hard to find a leak for sure when there is still resiude.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #35
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Yeah this is also one thing I think you should do. Make your block litereally spotless like brand new. It's hard to find a leak for sure when there is still resiude.
Guy this is gonna sound crazy but this is what I’m thinking, could those 2 bolts holes for the inlet pipe be fucked up? I’m thinking maybe someone put a wrong bolt and fucked up the hole.... and plus I’m missing the rubber picece that I guesss space the inlet from the belt
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #36
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Guy this is gonna sound crazy but this is what I’m thinking, could those 2 bolts holes for the inlet pipe be fucked up? I’m thinking maybe someone put a wrong bolt and fucked up the hole.... and plus I’m missing the rubber picece that I guesss space the inlet from the belt
Sorry I'm not sure what you mean for inlet pipe. Do you have a pic again with a arrow haha I can't locate in your first pics what you mean.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #37
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sorry I'm not sure what you mean for inlet pipe. Do you have a pic again with a arrow haha I can't locate in your first pics what you mean.

Yeah on sec dude
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #38
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

He means the front inlet for the front turbo. And I mean it's a long shot but definitely a possibility.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #39
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
He means the front inlet for the front turbo. And I mean it's a long shot but definitely a possibility.
Oh the the rectangular ish pipe for the air intake? I think I know what you mean.

But wouldn't the holes that are drilled just lead to no where? I don't see why they would have tapped holes and the bolt would be in the intake tract?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #40
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah on sec dude
Ahhh okok that's what I thought you mean.

I mean I don't see why they would have taped holes that lead to somewhere open or like somewhere with oil unless it is for some reason that I don't know haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:53 PM   #41
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

If you wanna test the theory stick a paper rag right there and see if it becomes wet/oil.

That would confirm without to much effort.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #42
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
If you wanna test the theory stick a paper rag right there and see if it becomes wet/oil.

I will tomaro just had to leave for work unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #43
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
I will tomaro just had to leave for work unfortunately.
Still leaking. Not coming from what I thought.. man oh man
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #44
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:

Found this that connect to the inlet pipe in the front, connects to the turbo
Attached Images

Appreciate 0