E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Tensioner cracked probable cause for cracked block causing weird oil leak?!?

01-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #45
MarkN54
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335xi 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
No need to completely remove the manifold. Just space out enough from the head to access the rear bolt.
Okay here’s some pictures
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:11 PM   #46
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

smear some RTV Ultra black onto the gasket this time lol Replace the bolts too they might be over-stretched from how many times you have re-used them.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      01-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #47
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
smear some RTV Ultra black onto the gasket this time lol Replace the bolts too they might be over-stretched from how many times you have re-used them.
Mating surface on the bottom isn't clean.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #48
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Mating surface on the bottom isn't clean.
Yeah looks like it could leak due to that but then again coolant is in that corner not oil.

But yeah clean that for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #49
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Yeah looks like it could leak due to that but then again coolant is in that corner not oil.

But yeah clean that for sure.
Okay I put everything back, cleaned the mating serfaces for about an hour. Used a torque wrench tighten bolts to 22nm used rtv sealant around the gasket, if this happens again I’m pretty the head gasket has to have an external oil leak, I bought a compression test kit to check it and will let you guys know how that works out by this week.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 02:36 PM   #50
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Compression test won't tell you if the head gasket is leaking at an oil passage to the outside of the motor.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #51
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Compression test won't tell you if the head gasket is leaking at an oil passage to the outside of the motor.
Same oil leak... god damn man only leak when you drive doesn’t leak when idling or revving the crap outta of it. Drove it not even going over 3k up and down my road and that leak shows up

Could it be head gasket??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #52
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

I'm subbing to your thread I want to know if end up finding it what it is this is weird.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #53
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm subbing to your thread I want to know if end up finding it what it is this is weird.
Tell me about 😂 3 months now and nothin has changed at least everything is new on this car beside the turbos and water pump the weirdest thing is that the head gasket is dry!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #54
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkN54 View Post
Tell me about 😂 3 months now and nothin has changed at least everything is new on this car beside the turbos and water pump the weirdest thing is that the head gasket is dry!
Haha feel bad for you. At least the car driveable ok just gotta watch out it doesn't saturate your belt.

Did you try like maybe taping a towel or something right up there? Problem is it's awfully close of your belt if it falls not sure if you should try.

That way if towel is wet soaked and it doesn't leak it could give more clues or something IDk haha. It does seem like it starts right there between the head it's strange.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #55
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Haha feel bad for you. At least the car driveable ok just gotta watch out it doesn't saturate your belt.

Did you try like maybe taping a towel or something right up there? Problem is it's awfully close of your belt if it falls not sure if you should try.

That way if towel is wet soaked and it doesn't leak it could give more clues or something IDk haha. It does seem like it starts right there between the head it's strange.
I could try that but if you look right above the leak you can see the head gasket and there’s no oil there
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #56
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I could try that but if you look right above the leak you can see the head gasket and there’s no oil there
Yeah...

And if you put your finger there you don't feel the oil coming from the lip like towards the left or right? Maybe it's leaking from elsewhere and it follow the top of the lip so you don't see it and then it drips there.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #57
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah...

And if you put your finger there you don't feel the oil coming from the lip like towards the left or right? Maybe it's leaking from elsewhere and it follow the top of the lip so you don't see it and then it drips there.
The weird thing is that where that nipple thingy is by the left arrow it leaks there first then t starts to leak by the right arrow more oil by the left arrow then the right which is making me go crazy
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #58
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The weird thing is that where that nipple thingy is by the left arrow it leaks there first then t starts to leak by the right arrow more oil by the left arrow then the right which is making me go crazy
Well then.

I would just put some jb weld all around there and see then haha.

Don't see how something could leak there it's all one piece right.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #59
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well then.

I would just put some jb weld all around there and see then haha.

Don't see how something could leak there it's all one piece right.
All one f’en peice! That’s what I’m gonna do take the inleft pipe off and fan out and imma do it
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #60
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thoroughly clean off the oil and any residue in that area with Dawn dish soap and water and a paint brush to get in the nooks and crevices, rinse well, and blow it dry (hair dryer, leaf blower, etc.). Now lightly dust the area with talcum powder or flour and go for a short drive. The source of the oil leak will then be readily apparent.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #61
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Thoroughly clean off the oil and any residue in that area with Dawn dish soap and water and a paint brush to get in the nooks and crevices, rinse well, and blow it dry (hair dryer, leaf blower, etc.). Now lightly dust the area with talcum powder or flour and go for a short drive. The source of the oil leak will then be readily apparent.
Either that or, as mentioned, clean the entire area nicely and rubber band a bunch of shop towels around the entire OFH area...then take a drive. If the oil isn't coming from there, you'll obviously see another mess to clean.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #62
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Guy this is gonna sound crazy but this is what I’m thinking, could those 2 bolts holes for the inlet pipe be fucked up? I’m thinking maybe someone put a wrong bolt and fucked up the hole.... and plus I’m missing the rubber picece that I guesss space the inlet from the belt
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 10:01 PM   #63
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Bolt/s would've either snap off or strip the threads into the engine block before cracking the block to cause leak. I know you don't want to hear it but is probably the OFH. Did you replace the bolts and properly torqued them last time?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 06:06 AM   #64
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Guy this is gonna sound crazy but this is what I’m thinking, could those 2 bolts holes for the inlet pipe be fucked up? I’m thinking maybe someone put a wrong bolt and fucked up the hole.... and plus I’m missing the rubber picece that I guesss space the inlet from the belt
Hey I was thinking if it only happens when you're driving might be boost related since at idle I don't think the car holds boost.

I believe there is a procedure in ISTA and/or INPA to test the car and make it hold*/do boost. Maybe you could try that to give you more idea or see if it will leak.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #65
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hey I was thinking if it only happens when you're driving might be boost related since at idle I don't think the car holds boost.

I believe there is a procedure in ISTA and/or INPA to test the car and make it hold*/do boost. Maybe you could try that to give you more idea or see if it will leak.
I don’t have ista but I do gave inpa, let me do some research on that that could help a lot if it works
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #66
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Bolt/s would've either snap off or strip the threads into the engine block before cracking the block to cause leak. I know you don't want to hear it but is probably the OFH. Did you replace the bolts and properly torqued them last time?
I ordered new bolts there coming in soon, i will torque them properly, and I torque them before to on my last attempt, but it’s still hard for me to believe the bolts need to be replaced, there steel kinda crazy and plus if it was the OFH wouldn’t leak above that lip then down? I’ll show a picture
Attached Images

Appreciate 0