E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake sensor reset issue

10-14-2018, 01:12 AM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Brake sensor reset issue

I put in new rear brake sensor and I reset the change pad warning but the reset KM shows 9 000km? Shouldn'it be like 50 000Km?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 02:42 AM   #2
BourneJack
Banned
Rep
Drives: BME E90

Good One
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourneJack View Post
Good One
?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

sometimes they don't reset properly.

I had to cut the wire to the old one and short the two wires together to get mine to reset.

Then install the new sensor.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
sometimes they don't reset properly.

I had to cut the wire to the old one and short the two wires together to get mine to reset.

Then install the new sensor.
Hmm ok.

To give you a example of what happened tho maybe it's related: I had installed my first sensor and reset it when I did the brake pad but I wasn't able to fit it in properly so left it outside the brake pad. Eventually it fell and broke the sensor part so I drove on the replace brake pad warning for about 1000 KM.

Yesterday put in my new sensor properly, reset it and that's when it showed 9 000KM until replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

my sensor wire broke as well.

use the old sensors wire, short the two wires together and reset it.
then install your new wear sensor.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
my sensor wire broke as well.

use the old sensors wire, short the two wires together and reset it.
then install your new wear sensor.
I don't have the old sensor.

But like why would it reset it to 9 000km. I don't understand?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 10:00 PM   #8
Skylinemotorsports
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335

Yea I am confused here to, maybe there is a DIY but I didn't realize I would need one. I am in the process of putting new pads/rotors/abs and brake sensors on my car. What all programming will I need to do?

I have already replaced the rear brake sensor and have driven the car since, that was the sensor that went off to prompt the pad change. The brake light is still on, what do I need to do to get rid of it?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 10:08 PM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinemotorsports View Post
Yea I am confused here to, maybe there is a DIY but I didn't realize I would need one. I am in the process of putting new pads/rotors/abs and brake sensors on my car. What all programming will I need to do?

I have already replaced the rear brake sensor and have driven the car since, that was the sensor that went off to prompt the pad change. The brake light is still on, what do I need to do to get rid of it?
Orginally when I put in my new sensor that then broke, I had reset the light in the dash using this video and it reset milleage to 50 000km.

You do need to reset it for sure.

In my case though don't know why second reset has put it only to 9000 even though I have a brand new sensor.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #10
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post

because the car still thinks you've got the resistance for the worn or broken wear sensor.

why is it you start threads and ask for advice and then question every solution that's given?

use the search function like I did, find the same solution I gave you used by multiple people to solve the same issue we both had and then go do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #11
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
why is it you start threads and ask for advice and then question every solution that's given?

use the search function like I did, find the same solution I gave you used by multiple people to solve the same issue we both had and then go do it.
Because I don't have the old sensor anymore? And I don't understand your solution.

And I'm question because I want to know why. What's the point in having a solution without knowing the reason or logic behind it, you're not learning anything that way.

And I still don't understand why me resetting the service with a brand new sensor doesn't reset it

And F searching, honestly this is a forum. I really don't get this searching logic, how can someone get so sick of just answering a issue. Don't want to answer it don't participial. If they are no sticky I really don't see why I should force in searching. And hell, I did search on google and I haven't find again, why it resets to 9K Km with a brand new sensor. Why do I need to short my old sensor? First time I put in a new sensor it worked perfect.

Hopefully this answers your question?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #12
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:

Did you just install the sensor or did you "code" the sensor.
Jut changing the sensor will not reset the distance.
You need tell the car the brakes and sensor changed by coding.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #13
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
I reset the sensor through the dash. If you hold the trip button you can choose which service indicator to reset. Like I did the first time it worked and same for my oil change.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #14
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
And F searching, honestly this is a forum. I really don't get this searching logic, how can someone get so sick of just answering a issue.
because if you had searched for the answer you'd already have the answer, and neither of us would be wasting our time here.

I gave you the solution. Short the two pins and reset it. install your new sensor afterwords.

If you bothered to search you would find all of the relevant technical information on why this works.
but good luck getting someone to spoon feed you the information that you're too lazy to go and find on your own.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #15
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
because if you had searched for the answer you'd already have the answer, and neither of us would be wasting our time here.

I gave you the solution. Short the two pins and reset it. install your new sensor afterwords.

If you bothered to search you would find all of the relevant technical information on why this works.
but good luck getting someone to spoon feed you the information that you're too lazy to go and find on your own.
How am I wasting anyone's time? Don't answer if you think it's a waste of time. Holy shit dude how old are you?

And no, I think you are actually wrong. The system thinks because of how fast my new sensor got triggered, it thinks that I'm using rear brake pads every 9k. My 9K has not moved from where it was yet.

You have still yet to explain me why it would reset to 9K instead of 50k so I think that's why.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #16
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'll try it with ISTA and see if it makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #17
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
I reset the sensor through the dash. If you hold the trip button you can choose which service indicator to reset. Like I did the first time it worked and same for my oil change.
You can only reset a with a sensor one time, when it is new.
If you try to reset a sensor a second time, chances are it will fail and you will get a red dash light for pads.

If you short the wires in the connector you can reset the system and reuse the old/previously programmed sensor.

Not sure what to do. Maybe car is confused on your brake wear.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #18
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You can only reset a with a sensor one time, when it is new.
If you try to reset a sensor a second time, chances are it will fail and you will get a red dash light for pads.

If you short the wires in the connector you can reset the system and reuse the old/previously programmed sensor.

Not sure what to do. Maybe car is confused on your brake wear.
But it is a new sensor, I have not reset it 2 times.

I will just wait it out and I guess reset when it hits 0 because it will most definitely not be used.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #19
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

You don't have any direct control over what the CBS indicator will display upon resetting the brake service items. The computer will calculate and display a new value based on a previously stored value. Here it is directly from the BMW TIS:

Front and rear brake pads

The condition of the brake pad is determined by the DSC control unit. The calculation is based on a signal from the brake pad wear sensors at 2 points (4 mm and 6 mm).

Quote:
The condition of the brake pad is determined with the help of the following input values:
  • Wheel speed
  • Braking pressure (determined by the open duration of the exhaust valve)
  • Temperature of the brake disc (determined via a computer model consisting of wheel speed, brake pressure, ambient temperature, braking duration)
  • Brakes service life

The ”brake pad” interval is flexible and dependent on the operating conditions. When the interval is reset, the last value for the interval forecast is set as the starting value for the new interval (only if new brake pads are recognised by intact Brake pad wear sensors).
So, based on the input data stored during the last brake service interval, the computer calculates that you will be able to drive 9,000 km until the next service. This can be inaccurate for any number of variables, so think about it from the "dumb" computer's perspective: it has no way of knowing exactly how much pad thickness remains. It can only assume that when you change the brake pads and sensor and reset the CBS item, you've run those pads to the end of their service interval life. If you actually changed them a bit (or way too early), the computer won't (and can't) know that the previous interval used xx% less of the pad material than it actually did and will give you what seems like a vast underestimate for the new pads' life.

You've done the work (properly), replaced the sensor (properly), and reset the CBS item (properly). The computer will start counting down that mileage, but won't "know" that it gave an inaccurate estimate until the 1st stage wear signal isn't triggered in 9,000 km. In 9,000 km (or likely some ~1,000 km sooner), the countdown will be stopped until the 1st stage wear sensor is triggered at which point the computer will have some valuable data with which to revise its estimate. I can't say for sure if the CBS will display a higher value immediately upon "learning" the new estimate, or if that value gets stored for future use at the next reset.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it gives you a little more insight as to what's going on. Just know you didn't do anything "wrong"...other than maybe replace the brake pads early and confuse a dumb computer.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #20
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectAce View Post
You don't have any direct control over what the CBS indicator will display upon resetting the brake service items. The computer will calculate and display a new value based on a previously stored value. Here it is directly from the BMW TIS:

Front and rear brake pads

The condition of the brake pad is determined by the DSC control unit. The calculation is based on a signal from the brake pad wear sensors at 2 points (4 mm and 6 mm).

So, based on the input data stored during the last brake service interval, the computer calculates that you will be able to drive 9,000 km until the next service. This can be inaccurate for any number of variables, so think about it from the "dumb" computer's perspective: it has no way of knowing exactly how much pad thickness remains. It can only assume that when you change the brake pads and sensor and reset the CBS item, you've run those pads to the end of their service interval life. If you actually changed them a bit (or way too early), the computer won't (and can't) know that the previous interval used xx% less of the pad material than it actually did and will give you what seems like a vast underestimate for the new pads' life.

You've done the work (properly), replaced the sensor (properly), and reset the CBS item (properly). The computer will start counting down that mileage, but won't "know" that it gave an inaccurate estimate until the 1st stage wear signal isn't triggered in 9,000 km. In 9,000 km (or likely some ~1,000 km sooner), the countdown will be stopped until the 1st stage wear sensor is triggered at which point the computer will have some valuable data with which to revise its estimate. I can't say for sure if the CBS will display a higher value immediately upon "learning" the new estimate, or if that value gets stored for future use at the next reset.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it gives you a little more insight as to what's going on. Just know you didn't do anything "wrong"...other than maybe replace the brake pads early and confuse a dumb computer.
Ahhh there we go! Thank you so much. I was really starting to think this is what was going on, but after I had second thoughts thinking that it only "evaluates" the estimated millage when it hits stage 1 on the sensor.

Thank you so much confirms it now for sure. It saw my last sensor get completely used up within 3 000 KM lol
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #21
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

No problem. I think it's really only an issue for those of us with a touch of OCD because we want ze numbers to be uber-accurate.

The system works perfectly for those folks who rely on the lights on the dashboard to schedule their service. Those of us who do early preventative maintenance...not so much.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #22
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectAce View Post
No problem. I think it's really only an issue for those of us with a touch of OCD because we want ze numbers to be uber-accurate.

The system works perfectly for those folks who rely on the lights on the dashboard to schedule their service. Those of us who do early preventative maintenance...not so much.
Yeah.

For me I want to keep it so my car stays like... OEM I guess, like it came out of the factory.

Like I won't just base if they need replacing on that but it's a good reminder for when to take a look at your pads I guess.
Appreciate 0