E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > TCU Delete

02-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

TCU Delete

Stock L7+CCC+TCU+MULF2 High SVS, and an IBOC retro.
The TCU is a classic AMPS/CDMA model with bluetooth. Its GPS input is unused as the CCC HU handles that.
Since services for this system aren't offered anymore, I wanted to delete it. I don't really see a reason to spend money on a combox retrofit (can I even to combox w/ CCC?)

My questions is, has anyone successfully just removed and coded out the TCU? And, I assume, let the MULF2 take over bluetooth. If you have, could you provide any input, please? I don't wanna go into this totally blind.

Why delete? It's useless now, weight, power consumption, government tracking me, could make a buck selling it (all negligible) but more importantly, I want the space under my trunk floor to add in a 120V inverter and a SureCall cell booster (which I will integrate into the sharkfin, if possible.) Being an N54, I'm ridiculously low on under-trunk space as it is.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
It is possible. Re-patch fiber at most hub to delete the fiber that goes to TCU. Or use a terminator. Code MULF2 Hi to enable BT phone. Move mic pins from TCU wiring to MULF. Move BT antenna to MULF. Code out Assist/SOS so you don't get error messages. Might need to code CCC.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #3
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post
It is possible. Re-patch fiber at most hub to delete the fiber that goes to TCU. Or use a terminator. Code MULF2 Hi to enable BT phone. Move mic pins from TCU wiring to MULF. Move BT antenna to MULF. Code out Assist/SOS so you don't get error messages. Might need to code CCC.
Thanks. Fiber is easy; I'm versed in that from doing IBOC retro. People seem to over-complicate it. I wonder how much of the coding could be handled by just changing and pushing out the VO to not include assist...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
Thanks. Fiber is easy; I'm versed in that from doing IBOC retro. People seem to over-complicate it. I wonder how much of the coding could be handled by just changing and pushing out the VO to not include assist...
I figured you knew what you were doing regarding the most but put it in for others. You can push it out with the VO changes but it will overwrite any other coding or customization you have. Check you wiring to make sure your mic wiring reaches where it needs to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Success!
Physically removed the TCU, and edited VO to reflect never having had BMW Assist/Telematics. Defaulted the CCC, MULF, and maybe something else.

I took the microphone pins (1, 19, 21) and moved them to the same pins on the MULF. The Bluetooth FAKRA (white) is keyed different on the MULF, so I had to shave off the keying. Also rearranged the MOST hub of course.

No SOS error. I'll be removing the now useless emergency speaker above the accelerator and emergency GSM antenna below the rear parcel shelf.

I already adapted the sharkfin GSM FAKRA to be the outside antenna feed to my SureCall cell booster. I fed the SureCall inside antenna under the carpet over the driveshaft hump and up the center console to the ash tray, which is where I keep my phone. Happy to report the cell booster works great; In my parking garage which has no service (not even "emergency calls only"), my phone has 2-3 bars and can easily hold a call and transfer data. Calls drop the moment I power down the booster.

I've already noticed two differences; the phonebook is now Last First instead of First Last. And the ringtone is different. Might be able to change that in coding, but I haven't tried yet.

What should I do with the SOS button and indicator light on the roof? Thinking either wire them to do something else, or take it out and put in a matching blank. Or I could just leave it I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 08:31 AM   #6
gmcclintock
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5, 2009 328i, 2007 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
Success!
Physically removed the TCU, and edited VO to reflect never having had BMW Assist/Telematics. Defaulted the CCC, MULF, and maybe something else.

I took the microphone pins (1, 19, 21) and moved them to the same pins on the MULF. The Bluetooth FAKRA (white) is keyed different on the MULF, so I had to shave off the keying. Also rearranged the MOST hub of course.

No SOS error. I'll be removing the now useless emergency speaker above the accelerator and emergency GSM antenna below the rear parcel shelf.

I already adapted the sharkfin GSM FAKRA to be the outside antenna feed to my SureCall cell booster. I fed the SureCall inside antenna under the carpet over the driveshaft hump and up the center console to the ash tray, which is where I keep my phone. Happy to report the cell booster works great; In my parking garage which has no service (not even "emergency calls only"), my phone has 2-3 bars and can easily hold a call and transfer data. Calls drop the moment I power down the booster.

I've already noticed two differences; the phonebook is now Last First instead of First Last. And the ringtone is different. Might be able to change that in coding, but I haven't tried yet.

What should I do with the SOS button and indicator light on the roof? Thinking either wire them to do something else, or take it out and put in a matching blank. Or I could just leave it I suppose.
Reviving thread because I'm looking to do the same with my car. My question is what exactly did you remove from the VO $644? $612? I want to know what option to remove in order to accomplish this task. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #7
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcclintock View Post
Reviving thread because I'm looking to do the same with my car. My question is what exactly did you remove from the VO $644? $612? I want to know what option to remove in order to accomplish this task. Thank you
I'll have to look back at my notes a little later but I think I just removed whichever one had Assist in the title haha. It might have been more than one, IIRC maybe one was Assist and the other one was pre-wire for Assist? Maybe I removed both.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 12:14 PM   #8
gmcclintock
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5, 2009 328i, 2007 530i

Ok, I'll take a look at mine and see.
Appreciate 0