E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Reducing smoke on a 330D

07-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #67
Brum11
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d e90

I just bought a 330d e90 M sport Auto that is clocking 100k miles that has been remapped. I noticed smoke coming out of the exhaust this morning as I bought the car yesterday. I imagine it's due to the extra diesel burning from remapping. Please can someone tell me this is normal. If hypothetically I was not interested in the extra power from remapping is it possible to undo the remap in order to stop the smoke. How much would that cost? The person who sold it to me said I could stop the smoke by changing injectors, is this correct? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 11:40 AM   #68
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

If it's smoking, it's got something to do with the remap, but also a lot to do with the fact that it probably doesn't have a dpf any more...you'll have a fun time getting an MOT in that condition.

Yes, it's possible to revert to the stock map. If the PO said you need to change injectors, then that's another matter...I wonder what it's currently got that causes the smoking...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:23 PM   #69
Brum11
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d e90

After reading this thread can't say am looking forward to the next MOT. Am not really sure what causes the smoking but like I said, the PO seems to suggest that it's the extra diesel fed into the engine that is not properly burnt off. Obviously this could be completely wrong but I did not plan on buying a car that smokes around, not even for superior speed which the car actually has. To be honest I am seriously thinking of returning the car but that will just be another headache.

I checked the prices of DPFs and they cost at least £300. If I add that to the cost of undoing the remap that should easily go past £600. Unless of course he is right that I need to change the injector nozzles or whatever he is talking about and the smoke will go away. I feel like it could take me down the rabbit hole and cost me far more than I bargained so maybe returning it is best so I can cut my losses.

I guess the question is Does remapping always lead to smoking if DPF is removed? Is there a way of easily checking that the DPF has been removed since there is no guarantee you can tell it's there in the first place? What did I get myself into? Kinda looks like BMW is actually starting to break my wallet and haven't taken it for a proper spin yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #70
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

I think you need to ask the PO exactly what's been done to the car. Details of all the mods.

Even a stock car running correctly will smoke a little without a DPF, I believe. However they can be mapped to produce good power with the DPF still in place, and pass MOTs without issue.

If you want headache-free motoring, I think you should take the car back - something that's been mapped and smokes is not a good place to start for an easy life with a diesel. Could be a simple case of installing a DPF and everything will work properly...could be there are a multitude of sins waiting to rear up. At any rate, remaps on diesels jack up the fuel pressure, which stresses the HPFP, fuel pressure sensor and pressure regulator, and injectors, and they seem to fail more quickly than they would otherwise (as you would expect). That doesn't mean it's necessarily unreliable, but for sure you should expect increased maintenance costs on a tuned engine.

Not meaning to scare you off - I just think you don't know what you're getting into, so trying to give you some info.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 01:31 AM   #71
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum11 View Post
After reading this thread can't say am looking forward to the next MOT. Am not really sure what causes the smoking but like I said, the PO seems to suggest that it's the extra diesel fed into the engine that is not properly burnt off. Obviously this could be completely wrong but I did not plan on buying a car that smokes around, not even for superior speed which the car actually has. To be honest I am seriously thinking of returning the car but that will just be another headache.

I checked the prices of DPFs and they cost at least £300. If I add that to the cost of undoing the remap that should easily go past £600. Unless of course he is right that I need to change the injector nozzles or whatever he is talking about and the smoke will go away. I feel like it could take me down the rabbit hole and cost me far more than I bargained so maybe returning it is best so I can cut my losses.

I guess the question is Does remapping always lead to smoking if DPF is removed? Is there a way of easily checking that the DPF has been removed since there is no guarantee you can tell it's there in the first place? What did I get myself into? Kinda looks like BMW is actually starting to break my wallet and haven't taken it for a proper spin yet.
you will be fine for mot,,the emissions test is not an emissions test yet,,just visible smoke ytest,,but as its smoking it may fail....could be lot's of things,,could be the remap over fuelling etc..maf sesor/boost leak etc,,but sounds to me like you have bought some one elses problem,,coz they have bullshitted you with talk about injectors etc,,get a proper diagnostics read,,or get ya car to bw chiptune in middlesex,,he can fix it and find out everything about it
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 02:14 AM   #72
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
you will be fine for mot,,the emissions test is not an emissions test yet,,just visible smoke ytest,,but as its smoking it may fail...
No, rasa; if it's smoking it WILL fail an MOT. Only way it can pass is with a 'postal' MOT.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 03:29 AM   #73
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
No, rasa; if it's smoking it WILL fail an MOT. Only way it can pass is with a 'postal' MOT.
i said it may fail if visible smoke,depends on tester etc
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 08:07 AM   #74
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum11 View Post

What colour is the smoke? You shouldn't have any smoke at idle, usually when the DPF is removed you'll get a small puff of black on WOT. If its smoking on idle then there's a problem, but like the others said you could really do with investing in something like a Carly Adapter or K+DCAN. Not only for this issue but it's so beneficial to keep on top of the car and save a huge amount of money
Appreciate 0