E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KW street comfort vs Koni FSD

03-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #1
hththt
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 F02 N74, '10 E90 N54

KW street comfort vs Koni FSD

I have been researching on this topic since last year and I'm still torn. Got my car with 25k miles on the clock. I have the ZSP suspension. First thing I did was to swap out the crappy RFTs with PSS and noticed the difference immediately. But after owning the car for 2 years and 10k miles later, I'm growing sick of the sport suspension and how it behaves on road imperfections.

COMFORT is my priority. The car sees track only twice last year so not having a super-firmed-up suspension is fine by me. I would much rather have comfort cruising around town. And now with a 3-month old, my car has become a family car so I really don't want anything that is stiffer than stock.

My search has me narrowed down to Koni FSD or KW SC. I understand FSD is dampers and is paired with close-to-stock springs and SC is coilovers and may be this sounds like comparing apples to oranges but really it doesn't really matter for me in my case. I just want COMFORT so whichever setup offers the best ride quality, I would like to go with that.

I would like to consider Ohlins Road and Track too but at $4k, they are a lot more expensive than the other 2 options and I don't think I would be willing to spend that.

Please let me know what you think. I would like to hear your comparison to stock suspension.

Please don't tell me to go buy a Camry if I want comfort. I obviously want handling to stay stock or better. I just want to upgrade the ride quality.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

I'm in the same situation as you. Subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 11:04 PM   #3
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Do some reading on those FSD's. They're not a good damper. I know; I had them for 2 years. Just get Koni Sport dampers to go with your oem springs and set the rear shocks at 2/3 turn from soft and the front struts at 1-1 1/4 turn from soft. I have KW SC and have had both the dampers I just mentioned.
      03-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #4
hththt
Private
Rep

cvc I actually read quite a few posts on different threads by you and understood your stand on this. May I ask in terms of comfort, did you find the Koni Sport, FSD or the SC to be the most comfy (assuming using close to the softest settings on the Sport and the SC)?

I read a lot about reliability issues with FSD, are those valid concerns? Did you have any issue? May I ask why you didn't like them?

Also you recommended Sport over SC? Can you explain your views on these 2?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 12:36 AM   #5
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Do you want height adjustment? Get SC.
If not, get the springs you want (ride height you want) and pair with koni yellows or whites. Done.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hththt
cvc I actually read quite a few posts on different threads by you and understood your stand on this. May I ask in terms of comfort, did you find the Koni Sport, FSD or the SC to be the most comfy (assuming using close to the softest settings on the Sport and the SC)?

I read a lot about reliability issues with FSD, are those valid concerns? Did you have any issue? May I ask why you didn't like them?

Also you recommended Sport over SC? Can you explain your views on these 2?
I've shared my experience with fsd's several times. They are inconsistent and underdamped on this platform.
If you want to lower your car I'd suggest KW SC. The springs are firmer than oem so your car follows road irregularities more which can feel uncomfortable to some. The bump absorption is better than any spring/shock combo I've tried.
If you don't want to lower your car, I suggest getting Koni Sport dampers. I really liked that combo but wanted sharper handling so ended up with KW.
You said comfort is your priority. Koni sports with oem sport springs are comfortable.
Thorin117.50
      03-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I'd have to agree with what is being said here.

Avoid FSD and get koni yellow, that way you can dial in the softness.

If you want a ride height adjustability and dont want to get thrown with whatever the lower springs offer (plus sag as they age) then get the street comforts.

My KW V2 once dialed in were as near as stock yet firm through the corners when you wanted it. I chose the KW V2 over the V1 because the V1 were not adjustable and after driving in a few vehicles with them I was aware how much stiffer they were and decided I better pay a little extra for adjustability and was glad I did.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
hththt
Private
Rep

Thank you all for the comments. Highly appreciate them!

I don't want to lower the car but I guess up to 1/2" is fine. I'm already plowing through the snow and high speed bumps as the car sits now.

It sounds like Koni Yellow is the winner then? Would you recommend pairing Koni Yellow with ZSP springs or PMW Performance springs? Would the higher rate in the BMW Perf translate too less comfy ride?

Any other springs you recommend pairing Yellow with?

If I were to go with Koni Yellow, I think I would do so for the fronts, and get TC Kline for the rears as Yellow rears are not externally adjustable. Would it be worth it to get TC Kline fronts as well?

How would you compare Yellow, TC Kline and KW SC?

cvc, would you say your SC is less comfy than your Yellow?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #9
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

After I ran Koni sport with oe sport springs I paired the Koni sports with bmw ps springs. Koni sports with oe sport springs are definately more comfortable than bmw ps! If I were to go back to a spring/shock combo that would be it as daily ride comfort on shitty Bay Area roads is important to me too.
I can't state the KW SC suspension differently. The car follows road irregularities/moves around more due to stiffer springs but absorbs bumps and potholes better due to superior dampers and more bump travel prior to bumpstop contact.
If you want to spend the extra money on those external adjust rear koni's, go for it. I wouldn't. Start where I suggested and may only adjust once from there.
Thorin117.50
      03-09-2015, 06:04 PM   #10
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
I'd have to agree with what is being said here.

Avoid FSD and get koni yellow, that way you can dial in the softness.

If you want a ride height adjustability and dont want to get thrown with whatever the lower springs offer (plus sag as they age) then get the street comforts.

My KW V2 once dialed in were as near as stock yet firm through the corners when you wanted it. I chose the KW V2 over the V1 because the V1 were not adjustable and after driving in a few vehicles with them I was aware how much stiffer they were and decided I better pay a little extra for adjustability and was glad I did.
I'm very interested In this topic too in that I am looking to remove the harness from my ride. I've already switch to non run flats, but it's not enough. From I'm gathering from this thread so far is to go with Koni yellows and adjust to full softness.

My question is:
Is Koni yellow dialed into full softness a softer ride then FSD?
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #11
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If a shock doesn't have enough compression damping force the suspension will bottom harshly upon a sharp impact and transmit that force to the chassis. That is what FSD's did in my car and I find that uncomfortable.
Koni sports have enough damping force to absorb those impacts much better.
      03-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #12
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
If a shock doesn't have enough compression damping force the suspension will bottom harshly upon a sharp impact and transmit that force to the chassis. That is what FSD's did in my car and I find that uncomfortable.
Koni sports have enough damping force to absorb those impacts much better.
Excellent use case. "Softer" doesn't necessarily equate to more comfortable. Right tool, right job.
Appreciate 0