E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > e92 rear main seal/crankshaft gasket, help

02-18-2020, 11:36 AM   #1
soulcrusher
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

e92 rear main seal/crankshaft gasket, help

Hi. I am finishing the replacement of my oil pan gasket at home for an 07' automatic 335i. My eyes saw oil pooled to the rear of the oil pan at a rubber seal below the transmission. The sensors that are mounted at this junction between/below the oil pan and transmission were also dirty with dry old oil. My concern is for an overlooked rear main seal leak/rear crankshaft seal leak!

For peace of mind how do I rule out a rear main seal leak. Or has anyone posted a DIY? I am searching online for more information but its limited. Need help.

In comparison to dropping the oil pan, is replacing the RMS a recommended DIY procedure? I already have the subframe dropped. I keep reading that special tools are needed for a RMS gasket replacement. If I can rule out a leak at the RMS then I can avoid all this.

[Update 2:19PM] Checked out the repair manual on newTIS for removing the transmission. The directions are confusing.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...rings/Fr4lqrAD

Last edited by soulcrusher; 02-18-2020 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 12:48 AM   #2
Oolien
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 bmw 335xi n54

as far as i have been told to test for rear main leak, is to remove that plastic cap and put your finger in and if there is oil there is then its rear main. dont know the truth to it but thats what i have been told..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
What's the PCV situation? When's the last time the PCV hose & valve been changed? If that's failed, it's causing excess pressure in the in the crank case. This will cause a VC leak & an RMS leak.

Yes, you need a special tool to remove and put in a new seal. You can rent this tool or buy it. You also need gasket sealer. I'd use Ultra Grey. The BMW sealant is very expensive, and it doesn't even come with the needle, unless you order it in a kit or buy it separately. Even so, you'll end up breaking your fingers or any plunger you buy (the bmw syringe doesn't even come with a plunger!!!) just trying to get a few drops out. Ultra Grey is specifically made for crank seals etc.; it does however take 24 hours to cure.

I think I'd change the oil pan gasket and sandwhich the OEM gasket in between two beads of Ultra Black. If you still have oil in that area, it's most definitely the RMS. There's no harm in changing the oil pan gasket. It's gonna leak eventually.

You don't need to take the subframe out to change the RMS. Maybe drop it a little, but that's it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 05:03 AM   #4
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Historically, engine sump gaskets leak far more frequently than rear main seals. By the time people attend to a leaking sump gasket, it looks like a rear main seal especially if the oil filter housing or rocker cover gaskets are also leaking.

Replacing the rear main seal is definitely not a might aswell or while you're at it sort of job and having the subframe down is of no benefit. If anything it is more difficult to remove the transmission as the engine is no longer steady in its cradle
Appreciate 0