E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ESS Supercharger install done

04-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
justin1180
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

ESS Supercharger install done

Finally had some time to do the supercharger install on my 328i. This is the Gen 2 kit with new injectors. There have been some minor idle fluctuation issues but they seem to be getting better. I installed new NGK copper plugs one step colder than OEM gapped to .030. AJ at ESS is telling me it may take a few days for the idle adaptives to learn, so i'm going to give it some time. I went and put a hundred miles on it after work so that I could try to get the adaptives to learn a little quicker. After having done that I did a couple of WOT pulls with the traction control off and spun the tires all the way through first gear. A new feeling in a 328 for sure. it's definitely making some boost. haha. I'll need new rear tires soon. It currently has the 120mm pulley installed but if the tune works itself out, I'll switch over to the 115mm pulley for more powa! hope these images load correctly

Appreciate 4
      04-24-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Time for some dynos.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 2
      04-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #3
E9xx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 '11 E90

^^
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 09:36 PM   #4
Hobbs64
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

That is a nice looking beast!
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #5
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Where does it pull in air from that intake?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
justin1180
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Where does it pull in air from that intake?
the intake tube runs down behind the bumper in front of the splash shield. not my first choice but it seems to be fairly well protected from water intrusion because of all the panels. the brake duct for that side had to go away to make room for the filter so i had to buy a block off plate for the opening in the splash shield.

I will definitely get some dyno numbers as soon as I can but i'm also wanting to start getting different pulleys
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2017, 08:03 AM   #7
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin1180 View Post
the intake tube runs down behind the bumper in front of the splash shield. not my first choice but it seems to be fairly well protected from water intrusion because of all the panels. the brake duct for that side had to go away to make room for the filter so i had to buy a block off plate for the opening in the splash shield.

I will definitely get some dyno numbers as soon as I can but i'm also wanting to start getting different pulleys
Hmm. Why not leave it in the area right behind the light and put in a new reworked intake tube from the behind the grills? I'm kind of hesitate to have the intake that low. What about a big puddle? Will it just stall from the smallest splash? And what about snow? Won't it clog it up?

Last edited by gunnerxq; 04-25-2017 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:18 AM   #8
justin1180
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hmm. Why not leave it in the area right behind the light and put in a new reworked intake tube from the behind the grills? I'm kind of hesitate to have the intake that low. What about a big puddle? Will it just stall from the smallest splash? And what about snow? Won't it clog it up?
well, there's not really a way for snow to get in there as it is right now. like I said, it's fully enclosed.. It would have to be a very deep puddle to get water in there.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:26 AM   #9
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well, there's not really a way for snow to get in there as it is right now. like I said, it's fully enclosed.. It would have to be a very deep puddle to get water in there.
Okay gotcha. Could you take pictures of it when you get a chance?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #10
justin1180
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Okay gotcha. Could you take pictures of it when you get a chance?
sure. I'm going out of town again but I'll do it when I get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:35 AM   #11
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 328i coupe

Can you do a couple 0-60 and 0-100 runs if have access to an abandoned road near by? Courious how the tranny handle and feel like with the increase in power and torque?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #12
justin1180
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
Can you do a couple 0-60 and 0-100 runs if have access to an abandoned road near by? Courious how the tranny handle and feel like with the increase in power and torque?

Well, I have a Manual transmission so if you're wondering about an AT, I can't help you there.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #13
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, I have a Manual transmission so if you're wondering about an AT, I can't help you there.
Not particularly interested in specific tranny. Off topic, I think the forums suggest an auto box would hold up the same if not better than a manual for increased boost applications.

Does the manual feel any different when rowing thru the gears, any noticable hesitation when gear is initially engaged due to the increased power? Either tranny should handle the boost increase with a responsible operator, but the question is how different is the feel vs na use??
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
GTRZilla
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

nice
      04-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #15
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Quote:
Not particularly interested in specific tranny. Off topic, I think the forums suggest an auto box would hold up the same if not better than a manual for increased boost applications.

Does the manual feel any different when rowing thru the gears, any noticable hesitation when gear is initially engaged due to the increased power? Either tranny should handle the boost increase with a responsible operator, but the question is how different is the feel vs na use??
The feel of shifting gears has absolutely nothing to do with boost, especially at such low levels like these bolt-on kits. You're not going to be breaking synchros or gearboxes anytime soon with these kits...

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2017, 01:30 PM   #16
justin1180
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

the auto tranny has been the weak point in any 328 boost build. all the ones i know of either had or ended up with a manual. i've noticed a slight 1-2 bog on initial engagement but it picks up quick. again, the adaptives are still learning. I suspect they were way off due to the BMS box I was running before the s/c. I haven't had much opportunity to do a full WOT dig and row through all the gears yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 05:13 PM   #17
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
The feel of shifting gears has absolutely nothing to do with boost, especially at such low levels like these bolt-on kits. You're not going to be breaking synchros or gearboxes anytime soon with these kits...
You're wrong and you're totally missing the point.

From an engineering and mechanical view there's increased stress on all moving parts with increased load.
Appreciate 1
PhaceN52174.50
      04-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #18
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
the auto tranny has been the weak point in any 328 boost build. all the ones i know of either had or ended up with a manual. i've noticed a slight 1-2 bog on initial engagement but it picks up quick. again, the adaptives are still learning. I suspect they were way off due to the BMS box I was running before the s/c. I haven't had much opportunity to do a full WOT dig and row through all the gears yet.
BPC testing shows the n52 manual tranny is just ok. I remember a while back rhombus was running this set up kit 1 with a couple guys with slush box and had no issues. Problems start with other mods in addition to sc.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:21 PM   #19
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

My opinion,

Automatic transmissions are generally poorly understood and often neglected when engines are tuned or modified.

Just like the DME the TCU has hundreds of maps that define how and when the transmission shifts gears. There are even maps that define how the toque converter manages surges in torque.

Most of these are dependent on information the DME broadcasts on the bus. If the tuner makes changes to the DME calculated torque the TCU may not accurately apply pressure to the clutches and thing can go poorly. Shift points are another issue, these are defined by throttle setting and not engine load, something else a tuner can get wrong, particularly if they normally work on and tune manual cars.
Appreciate 3
PhaceN52174.50
tetsuo1111227.00
      04-25-2017, 06:55 PM   #20
Zajac1
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i MT

That looks nice !!! How was installation ?? Doesn't look hard to work on right ?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #21
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
You're wrong and you're totally missing the point.

From an engineering and mechanical view there's increased stress on all moving parts with increased load.
Well no shit there's increased load on these parts. That doesn't change the facts in my post. I'll reiterate once more considering you missed the definitive clear cut answer to your "concerns:"

You will not destroy your gearbox with the boost levels the ESS kit offers. Period. There's no question about it.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
STR8-6IX537.00
      04-25-2017, 09:17 PM   #22
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
My opinion,

Automatic transmissions are generally poorly understood and often neglected when engines are tuned or modified.

Just like the DME the TCU has hundreds of maps that define how and when the transmission shifts gears. There are even maps that define how the toque converter manages surges in torque.

Most of these are dependent on information the DME broadcasts on the bus. If the tuner makes changes to the DME calculated torque the TCU may not accurately apply pressure to the clutches and thing can go poorly. Shift points are another issue, these are defined by throttle setting and not engine load, something else a tuner can get wrong, particularly if they normally work on and tune manual cars.
I agree that both tuners and drivers don't understand many variables involved in an auto tranny. Having driven manuals all my existance I apply similar ideology to automatic cars by always driving in auto manual mode. That way I control the tranny in a similar way to a manual minus the clutch.
Appreciate 0