E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Helix Attache is a winner.

11-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #89
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry335 View Post
Not at all, like you said the real issue on the track is the water temp, oil temp, etc. If it works on a Mustang (load) dyno, it will work anywhere.
Thank you for your honest response.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #90
E90 335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

I am 100% fine with a delay if a problem pops up. I would just rather know if I am realistically looking at a month or 4 months, with the assumption that this tune will run flawlessly once the minor glitch is fixed. Here in SFLA, I want to get some track runs done in the cooler weather in the winter, thus I am looking to purchase a tune within a month or two time. I only am not certain as to whether all this testing will take 1 more month or 4 more months - I am all for a safe tune and R&D. Hell, if it starts snowing up there and you guys can't run hard, I already offered to buy the product for the full price and do the testing work for them down here, including dynos and other tests including drag strip runs and tune feedback. I also have an automatic transmission. I am assuming this works the same way as PROcede does, as maps can be uploaded onto the unit so if there is a problem, it can be corrected through map work?

I would just like to know a ballpark time frame for release, shall everything go well. If Helix cannot make this 'ballpark' due to a suddent problem, the entire community will understand that Helix wants the product to be working correctly before it is released. I just can't imagine Helix performing testing over some time and just waking up the next morning on the right side of the bed and decide to release it.

If I cannot find out such a ballpark figure, I won't push the matter further....I might just have to order JBS2 in the mean time and hope I don't fall in love with it and decide to keep it when Helix releases their tune - and this may be the case for many other potential buyers. I know at least two of my friends interested in this tune along with me, but we would rather just try out JBS2 if we don't know when this tune is available. It could be a year from now, we have no clue.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 07:14 PM   #91
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

The only problem is we are in the holiday months right now. This week is a bad week and the end of next month is going to be bad. That puts a crimp in the amount of time we can get together and update maps and redyno and such.

That being said, I think optimally 1-2 months should have everything worked out. Helix will need time though to make the product pretty and put enough together to meet initial demand for it.

The reason you probably havent heard about running one yourself and testing it is because there is only one(1) laptop with the software to be able to update these piggybacks. I dont even have access to it. Theres no multiple copies to hand out either. I dont know how Helix will be handling that in the future, youll have to ask them.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 08:42 AM   #92
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
I guess Im still confused as to what you want it to prove? I failed to find the threads where the other tuners tested theirs on the track and posted results(besides the PROcede for Bastuk). Does that mean you wont buy a turbotuner, RDblackbox or JB2 because they werent tested on a track either?

Do you want us to come back and say your oil cooler wont fail you, your tires will last longer or your suspension will feel tighter?

I think thats an unfair position to put Helix in since there really isnt any tracks near them either unless someone drives 3-4 hrs in either direction and both will probably be closed soon due to weather constraints.
Nono, U misunderstood. I don't need Helix to do another Bastuk or something. On the other hand it's a vendor who choses his testers. U are testing it, turbobullet also, but is there a problem to find s/o who tracks his car, put the attache on his ride and get his feedback from the track? Not on a professional event, no need for a pro driver also. Vishnu did (and does) it, JB does it, also plenty of cars with TT, RD are tracked (even if it's already not a testing phase, but let's call it good references), so I think it's not a problem.

And not, I dont expect you to tell me my oil cooler wont fail me, my tires will last longer or my suspension will feel tighter. Please dont pull that BS on me. I'm not that dumm. But I'd like to see that the car did not get to limp mode because s/t else, like being too rich or lean during some condition, having some kind of a boost spike or whatever. Stuff the dyno won't tell U and street use also not.

And regarding the weather - well, I'm not going to Hungaroring in this weather, too. The weather sucks, I admit. So if U'd want to let the attache be tested on a track, maybe U should look around Florida, Texas or SoCal? I think there are bimmers, too.

Just to make myself understood, I'll go to track with my car for fun, for practise, etc, even if rolling on the street or highway will be almost 100% time of using my ride, and complete 100% time of the most of helix customers. But there is a little devil racer inside of most of us, otherwise we wouldn't choose the 335i. So I need to be sure I'll have no issues on the track, too, and that my car will be as fast as possible, will operate reliably with the attache (don't bother with oil/water cooler issues, OT in this thread), will be as good as it gets. And I dont need anything more like a honest review of a track junkie, or even better a track junie in the testing crew. Is that too much?

To be honest, my car will cost around 80.000$ here in EU, so the choice of the DME tuner is not a money issue. The attache is 1% of the car's price, the proven procede is less than 2%, so I dont really care about the price? I'll choose the best (for me) with he best combination of performance, reliability, references, customer service (and maybe price).

Best regards

Julius

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 08:59 AM   #93
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Please correct me if Im wrong, but I would think youd find less of a chance of getting a limp mode or errors at the track. Reason being is while the car might be under more stress, its a constant stress. The car can adapt to it pretty quickly and if it sees the same parameters (multiple laps) over a short period of time, it would adjust engine management accordingly.

IMHO, spikes or limps are going to happen when you pull the car out of its element rather quickly. For instance if you are just a normal driver who doesnt really get into boost that often because he drives in traffic a lot. Then one night he comes up on a car that wants to race him and now all of a sudden, hes doing multiple WOT runs from 40-140. That would most definitley put an engine and its ECU into shock.

Or another situation is when you are beating on it like above and all of a sudden you go back to crawling in traffic. But when you see openings you do quick half throttle bursts and then letting off rapidly to go back down to a crawl.

Again, I could be wrong, but those situations seem more likely to show issues quicker to me than a steady pace around a track. Also, 10+ pulls on a load bearing dyno with maybe 3-5 mins in between Im sure would also show something.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #94
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Well yeah, it will show something. Hopefully enough. Sorry for being such a PITA, developing SW for financial institutions is possibly causing me some professional deformation.

Anyway, my posts were not meant to be an insult or anything, take it as a friendly advise. Testing under even unreal conditions sometimes provides lot of improvement for the real world. Take it or leave it, it's on U. U can say the same to me as a potencial customer. Take care

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #95
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

I understand what youre saying, Im just limited in my ability to prove this tune in ALL conditions. I can only test it the way I drive it. Im a very random type of driver in the sense that I dont drive the same all the time. Im the jekyll/hyde driver. Slow sometimes then all of a sudden I beat the snot out of it. I let others drive my car so it has new situations to adapt to.

For what its worth, my car is a lease. Im truly using my car as a test bed for this product. If someone wants to beat my car by seeing what its got, then go right ahead. Im doing my best to give the Attache a beat down. So far its doing very well and with the consistancy of the boost readings(as in holding, not spiking) Im very excited to have it in my car.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 09:26 AM   #96
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
I understand what youre saying, Im just limited in my ability to prove this tune in ALL conditions. I can only test it the way I drive it. Im a very random type of driver in the sense that I dont drive the same all the time. Im the jekyll/hyde driver. Slow sometimes then all of a sudden I beat the snot out of it. I let others drive my car so it has new situations to adapt to.

For what its worth, my car is a lease. Im truly using my car as a test bed for this product. If someone wants to beat my car by seeing what its got, then go right ahead. Im doing my best to give the Attache a beat down. So far its doing very well and with the consistancy of the boost readings(as in holding, not spiking) Im very excited to have it in my car.
Lemme borrow it.
      11-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #97
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Lemme borrow it.
No joke. If anyone is in the area and wants to drive my car(and can prove insurance) they can.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #98
nj335i
Modaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

Quote:
No joke. If anyone is in the area and wants to drive my car(and can prove insurance) they can.
I'll take you up on that offer. I'm interested to see what the Helix Attache can do.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #99
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Alex we just made some modifications to both maps and they are awesome. give us a call(you have a PM) so we can get you updated to the revised 13 psi and also the 15 psi map
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 11:50 PM   #100
E90 335i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Okay, apparently Helix is tight lipped about a ballpark date. Fine.

Question: Will this product come with software where we can download our own maps or do we have to send the unit back? Will it be similar to PROcede in mapping where I can just download the appropriate map online and upload it onto the Attache?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 12:01 AM   #101
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 335i View Post
Theres nothing tight lipped. We are BETA TESTING right now. Theres not time frame for that other than "until its ready". I wish I could tell you that everything is moving along perfectly but I cant. I can tell you that my car and the other car with the test tune are not reacting the same way to the same maps.

Helix will not rush this just to get it to market. If you people want the most reliable tune with a fantastic amount of research being done to work WITH the computer so as not to fake it out or confuse it then this is going to be it. This will not be released until its bomb proof and is safe for everyone to run on their cars.

Rome wasnt built in a day, but it still stands thousands of years later. Longevity is key here. Helix isnt looking to build the most outstanding, highest hp/tq, fastest piggy back out there "right now". They are looking to make the one that produces the highest power possible whilst still being the safest for the engine and most reliable, with the thought that people will be using this down the road for many years.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 12:38 AM   #102
Alex@Helix
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 335i View Post

Question: Will this product come with software where we can download our own maps or do we have to send the unit back? Will it be similar to PROcede in mapping where I can just download the appropriate map online and upload it onto the Attache?
Please don't feel we're trying to dodge any questions or avoid you. The reason why we are hesitant to say "It should be ready on X date" is because we don't know. Like HyperM3 said, we are putting the finishing touches on the Attache and as soon as we are 100% happy with it, it will be available for sale. Hopefully this will be sooner then later.

In regards to your question about how you will be able to switch between available maps, we are working out all of the logistics involved.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 07:23 AM   #103
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Does the helix run on switched power, or does it draw power and throw a "power draw overlimit" code to the dealer computer like the procede 1.47 does?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 09:11 AM   #104
E90 335i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Hyper M3 (Alex) and Alex@Helix,

You have legitimate reasons for my bombardament.

We all want to see the best of this tuner and it sounds like you are on the right track! Keep us informed and updated on the tuner often and keep up the good work. I, for one, am happy that Helix is taking the time to make this unit bulletproof, and as I stated in other posts, that's part of the process and will make me proud to own this tune in the time that it comes out.

Keep it up!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #105
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
Does the helix run on switched power, or does it draw power and throw a "power draw overlimit" code to the dealer computer like the procede 1.47 does?
end users will have the option of both full time or switched power it all depends on how you want to wire it

Hypers car is behaving slightly different than mine with the tune BUT... he has a BOV and we want to retest on his car with the factory bypass valves back on as the anomalies he is experiencing seem to relate to opening and closing differences between the valves. as it is on my car it runs incredibly well, no knock/ping, codes or DTC's on either the 13 or 15 psi map on 93 octane.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #106
canesr1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Metallic Black

Where in philly? Do they need any more testers? I'm about 10 minute drive from philly.
I'd LOVE to help YOU guys out with testing
2007 335icoupe met. black, sport,premium, comfort, 6spd,nav, ipod. Roughly 5100 miles.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #107
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
end users will have the option of both full time or switched power it all depends on how you want to wire it

Hypers car is behaving slightly different than mine with the tune BUT... he has a BOV and we want to retest on his car with the factory bypass valves back on as the anomalies he is experiencing seem to relate to opening and closing differences between the valves. as it is on my car it runs incredibly well, no knock/ping, codes or DTC's on either the 13 or 15 psi map on 93 octane.
Hmmm... well, I hope that you can also get it to run smoothly with his BOV on the car since many of us are also running them.

Its also nice to hear that you are running the 15psi map on pump gas.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #108
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesr1 View Post
Where in philly? Do they need any more testers? I'm about 10 minute drive from philly.
I'd LOVE to help YOU guys out with testing
2007 335icoupe met. black, sport,premium, comfort, 6spd,nav, ipod. Roughly 5100 miles.
Thanks
give eric at Helix a call 877-helix-13
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 04:11 PM   #109
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Install

Congrats on your upcoming tune Helix. Sounds great. Can you confirm if your install is similar to the V2 and JBS2, that is if we'll need to access the engine ecu? Sorry, if it is a repeat. Thanks

ps: If you need a canadian tester, lemme know, maybe I can be of help.
      11-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #110
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Congrats on your upcoming tune Helix. Sounds great. Can you confirm if your install is similar to the V2 and JBS2, that is if we'll need to access the engine ecu? Sorry, if it is a repeat. Thanks
Yes, you need to access the ECU and tap into it.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0