E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Mystery Drift/Pull

09-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
loganmecham
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Exclamation Mystery Drift/Pull

I have a problem. I have a 2006 330xi and it has been pulling to the right constantly and pulls slightly harder when braking. I have replaced the front brake calipers and lines. This helped some and it no longer pulls as hard when I brake, but the problem with the drift stubbornly remains. I have checked the control arms, suspension, ball joints etc. and they all seem to be fine with no damage. I even took the car in and got an alignment and that didn't do anything. Today I verified that my tire pressure was correct in all four wheels and rotated my tires to see if that was causing my drift problem and this didn't help either. I cannot figure out why my car is pulling to the right. Possibly the car is having a problem with the AWD system and sending more power to the left wheels than the right? If anyone has any ideas or solutions that would be greatly appreciated.

I am a poor newly married college student and I have already spent more than 1k on repairs and maintenance with this car and I am trying desperately to keep my costs down but at this point I don't know if its even possible anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 09:34 PM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Thrust rod.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 09:37 PM   #3
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Have you actually gone under the car and checked with a pry bar every single suspension connection? Check with the suspension loaded and unloaded. On the xdrive cars one thing to often go is the thrust rod bushing as mentioned above and the balljoint that goes bolted to the hub. Balljoint might look okay at first but it can have up and down play as mine did and cause some serious pulling. I solved that on my car though not perfect because I have steering rack play which you didn't mention to have. Also any clunks over bumps?

Appreciate 1
      09-18-2020, 10:57 PM   #4
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N55

What are your aligment specs?
A straight tracking car will pull to the right on most roads due to roads slope to the right.. A good aligment will compensate for this..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 01:46 PM   #5
loganmecham
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb Update w/ Pictures

E92William
Hey guys so I pulled my tires off this morning and decided to take another look at my thrust rod bushings. I attached some pictures just in case you guys notice a problem I didn't. I pried on every connection and the all moved but only slightly and I had to pry pretty damn hard.. I don't know if this is a problem do you think they need to be replaced? I didn't have as much play in any of the connections as E92William had but I'm definitely a noob on this subject matter. Are the connections supposed to be perfectly rigid when the car is lifted off the ground? I can't really test this while the suspension is under load because I can't get underneath my car unless I jack it up.

I haven't noticed any clunks over bumbs when driving. My steering wheel doesnt have any play so I don't think I have steering rack play.

Sorry If these images seem bad quality at first they are easier to view if opened in a new tab. The first three pictures are the drivers side and the last two are on the passenger side.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 01:50 PM   #6
loganmecham
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunafish View Post
What are your aligment specs?
A straight tracking car will pull to the right on most roads due to roads slope to the right.. A good aligment will compensate for this..
Here are a couple of pictures with my alignment specs. I had to spend almost 100$ on this alignment and it didn't seem to solve any of my problems
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #7
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N55

Well a good alignment wouldnt do an alignment if there was issues with bushings/ball joints.. That would all need to be corrected before the alignment. They should also work with you on your pull concern, but seeing that it was done on 7/22 that is probably out the window now..

Are you on lowered suspension? This could explain the front and rear chamber out of spec (rear specs are -1.42 to -1.58).. This shouldnt account for pull just curious.

I would try to go back to alignment shop with your issues and see if they might give you a free adjustment. Ypu never now if you dont try. There should of been a drive by tech to see if any pull issues after your alignment also.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...rement/6CijOle
Appreciate 0