E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Swapping LCI springs & shocks onto Pre-LCI car?

09-30-2020, 11:15 PM   #1
TassieBMW
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E90 330i MSport

Swapping LCI springs & shocks onto Pre-LCI car?

I have a Pre-LCI E90 330i with M-Sport package and previously owned a 320i in the same configuration. As anyone else who's owned these cars will know, the suspension is overly harsh and crashy, and makes for an extremely unpleasant ride on anything short of butter smooth surfaces.
This was corrected on LCI cars which have a much more supple ride.

Having done some research, it seems that all the mounting points and what not are the same on both pre and post LCI vehicles, which should theoretically mean the components are interchangeable. Considering this, do you think that swapping the springs and shocks from an LCI M-Sport onto an earlier car would eliminate the extremely harsh ride?

Has anyone attempted this or had success doing it?

While I could cope with it in my previous 320i the extra weight of the 330i makes it slam onto its bump-stops so harshly it makes my back hurt. It's the only thing I hate about the car, so would be very happy to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 07:09 AM   #2
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

The LCI m-sport suspension is very crashy as well. That’s why I swapped mine with Koni FSD’s (they call them Special Active nowadays). Now it is much better.
Appreciate 0