E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > e91 330d totally confused with which rheingold software I need

10-28-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
hpcr2004
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 330xd

e91 330d totally confused with which rheingold software I need

Sorry if this is a repost but I am not getting anywhere with my research for Rheingold, ISTA/P or whatever its called (there are about 16 different names used to call this software).

Basically ill own a 2006 bmw E91 330d soon and I would like to have the factory service manual for it as well as a way to check and clear codes. If the program can monitor engine/chassis parameters in real time that would be great too. Thats pretty much it, I dont really care to program it or recode anything.

I understand, i think, that ISTA/D is the factory BMW diagnostic/service manual software that achieves this? But which version, and or who can I buy it from that is reputable and wont lead to damaged ECM's??

It seems to me that there are many many many different versions of this software, too many to count, with absolutely NO INFORMATION about what the differences are between them. Does this software require a login or a registration key?

I would greatly appreciate assistance on this, what works for you guys?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 11:44 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The one at Bimmergeeks.net is pretty current
I think. This works for the gas cars not sure about
the diesels. Should be more than adaquate in terms
of being recent for and 07.
They also make one of the better K/D can cables.
Install instructions are usually in the downloads.
There are many threads on doing the install here.

The way you update it is add the new daten files
with BMW standard tools.

you need to start reading a lot of the ista threads here.

diagnostic manual ista/inpa
https://bimmerprofs.com/diagnostics-inpa-part-1/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xo19teM9vkTF-C
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7x8H3pN8h1fMuF

Ista is very fault tolerant it won't allow you to do stupid stuff
whereas Inpa, ncsexpert and tool32 will.

The only time you stand a chance of damaging ECM's is when programming. You need Ista P to program an big power supply and maybe and Icom cable to to that.

You can code with ncsexpert which is a little different than programming and entire module.
You can also program individual modules in ncsexpert .
Ista p is what you use to update the entire software for the car.

Last edited by ctuna; 10-29-2018 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 12:15 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcr2004 View Post
Basically I own a 2006 bmw E91 330d and I would like to have the factory service manual for it as well as a way to check and clear codes. If the program can monitor engine/chassis parameters in real time that would be great too. Thats pretty much it, I dont really care to program it or recode anything...Does this software require a login or a registration key?
NO login or registration -- just download, install, open, connect and learn how to use it from just reading screens. Saving screens by Folder for each Module (in INPA) can be very helpful for seeing what diagnostics are available for that module.

INPA works for me, and either INPA or ISTA would work even better for you if you speak German (in Germany most do ;-) I use INPA to:
1) Read Fault Codes (Fehlerspeicher Lesen), Read Freeze Frame Details or InfoSpeicher, and Clear Fault Codes (Fehlerspeicher Loschen);
2) See Live Data or Parameters (Status);
3) Activations (Steuern) such as to run the fuel pump, radiator fan, coolant pump, etc.

First, you need the Daten files for the E89 for your E91. The ~ 20 different ECUs (Control Modules) in your E91 are basically the same as any other non-diesel model, EXCEPT you have the DDE (Digital Diesel Electronics) Engine Module rather than the DME used in gasoline-powered engines such as the N52, N54 or N55. I'll attach a screen print of the INPA Script Selection Listbox that shows the various DDE/DME choices in the next post to this thread, so the jpg file won't ruin the page width.

Remember, the DME/DDE is just ONE of ~ 20 different Electronic Modules INPA or ISTA can connect to, choosing from similar listboxes, for such Modules as the EKP (fuel pump module), CAS, DSC, IHKA (Climate Control), EGS (Transmission), VGSG (Transfer Case), etc.

If you go to the following site, you can download INPA in the BMW Standard Tools group, or Rheingold for ISTA. If you don't have a K+DCAN cable, you can get one from the same site (BimmerGeeks), from Amazon, or any similar online retailer.

BMW-Specific Diagnostic Software, INPA (Standard Tools), ISTA (Rheingold):
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads

BimmerGeeks Pro K+DCAN Cable:
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-...eeks-pro-cable

TIS Online Service Manual:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Please let us know your experience,
George
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2018, 12:16 AM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

See Attached DDE Selection in "Engine" Listbox in INPA per above post. The filename reflects the DME in my N52KP E91.
If you have a Diesel, you would select one of the DDE Engine Control Modules.

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 05:50 AM   #5
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
NO login or registration -- just download, install, open, connect and learn how to use it from just reading screens. Saving screens by Folder for each Module (in INPA) can be very helpful for seeing what diagnostics are available for that module.

INPA works for me, and either INPA or ISTA would work even better for you if you speak German (in Germany most do ;-) I use INPA to:
1) Read Fault Codes (Fehlerspeicher Lesen), Read Freeze Frame Details or InfoSpeicher, and Clear Fault Codes (Fehlerspeicher Loschen);
2) See Live Data or Parameters (Status);
3) Activations (Steuern) such as to run the fuel pump, radiator fan, coolant pump, etc.

First, you need the Daten files for the E89 for your E91. The ~ 20 different ECUs (Control Modules) in your E91 are basically the same as any other non-diesel model, EXCEPT you have the DDE (Digital Diesel Electronics) Engine Module rather than the DME used in gasoline-powered engines such as the N52, N54 or N55. I'll attach a screen print of the INPA Script Selection Listbox that shows the various DDE/DME choices in the next post to this thread, so the jpg file won't ruin the page width.

Remember, the DME/DDE is just ONE of ~ 20 different Electronic Modules INPA or ISTA can connect to, choosing from similar listboxes, for such Modules as the EKP (fuel pump module), CAS, DSC, IHKA (Climate Control), EGS (Transmission), VGSG (Transfer Case), etc.

If you go to the following site, you can download INPA in the BMW Standard Tools group, or Rheingold for ISTA. If you don't have a K+DCAN cable, you can get one from the same site (BimmerGeeks), from Amazon, or any similar online retailer.

BMW-Specific Diagnostic Software, INPA (Standard Tools), ISTA (Rheingold):
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads

BimmerGeeks Pro K+DCAN Cable:
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-...eeks-pro-cable

TIS Online Service Manual:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Please let us know your experience,
George
I havent been able to get ISTA working from that bimmergeeks link. I followed all the instructions but nothing happens when I try to launch it. Windows event viewer shows that the ISTAGUI.exe throws an unhandles exception for a missing method. Not sure how to troubleshoot that at this point.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Do you have a cable yet?

What are you using for a computer ?
Which operating system does it have?

These programs are sensitive to where you setup
the file structures.
There are also settings for the cable and some active x controls
that may have to be setup and registered.

Both Ista and Inpa use the same base program for routines
it may be easier to get Inpa working first.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Do you have a cable yet?

What are you using for a computer ?
Which operating system does it have?

These programs are sensitive to where you setup
the file structures.
There are also settings for the cable and some active x controls
that may have to be setup and registered.

Both Ista and Inpa use the same base program for routines
it may be easier to get Inpa working first.
I'm somewhat in the same boat as apexit4. Got BMW standard tools suite working fine (done some simple coding) but can't get Bimmergeeks ISTA-D to open.

Got frustrated and gave up.
      10-30-2018, 10:35 PM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

http://blog.obdii365.com/2017/11/16/...nstallation/#1

There are some installation instructions that I thing will
still apply in the above link.

So just to see if I could still do it and to get it on my
new PC I downloaded the Bimmergeeks Inpa and Ista setup
on my newer Lenovo 910 running the latest windows 10.

And got it working
Some things to note on Windows 10 the cmd prompt to
run as administrator is called the Power Shell now
and there is an Administrator version to.
I had to use this to get the Administrator version to load
the active x controls successfully
And to launch ista I had to right click and run as admistrator
to launch ista.
This is described in the instructions that bimmergeeks provides if you just follow them .
Following them to the T is key as computers are unforgiving.
Make sure you install all the programs in the Pre-Install
folders to.

Ista D has a message if you don't run it as administrator something about invalid version.

Also ista has a sizing problem for my hi res screen and since you can't resize or move the window around it can be frustrating.
I moved my toolbars to the side to make it pretty usable.

Set the resolution on the screen one size down everything is
golden now.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-02-2018 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #9
hpcr2004
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 330xd

Update: I purchased a software package called "Original Kdcan Pro Interface Diagnostic Tool for BMW INPA Rhein Gold, NCS Expert" from amazon.de and everything worked GREAT.

They send you all the cables you need, high quality i might add, and then a username and password for their website. You then download all of the software that you want (and if you can read german there are additional programs for free- "Dr.Gini" for example which can display all engine parameters in gauges very easily).

I have read my 2006 330xd with it as well as a 2008 E61 530xd. Works flawlessly.

To anyone that reads this: dont take a chance downloading sketchy and free software, just find a reputable product and just spend the money. Well worth it. At least it was for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

All the software on the bimmergeeks website works fine.

There is no need to buy this software from anyone.

People who sell this software probably downloaded it from bimmergeeks or a Russian forum
Appreciate 0