E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Need help diagnosing/troubleshooting electrical problem!

12-02-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
fionamarybeth
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Need help diagnosing/troubleshooting electrical problem!

okay so im sorry if this isn't in the right place or somebody has posted something similar to this already but ive tried searching everywhere and i am yet to find someone else who is experiencing a problem like this so here it is.

My E90 has been having on-and-off issues with (what seems?) like the driver's side window/side mirror controls. Originally, my side mirrors would intermittently fold in and out while driving. Next, window controls on the drivers side would occasionally be unresponsive but when trying to put the passenger/rear windows up/down the buttons on the corresponding doors would continue to work. After not working for a while, the buttons would seem to figure themselves out and would start working again. A couple weeks ago, my driver's and rear windows have started moving down by themselves in abrupt, seemingly random intervals (i.e., will move a couple of mm, stop, then 6cm, stop, then a couple more mm, etc.). today, when driving, the bizarre episode of the windows moving by themselves began again and when i got home i tried to put the windows up via the fob key in the door to which the rear windows went up, but the driver's window remained stuck a couple inches open. if you try to operate the back seat windows they also no longer work. passenger is fine.

I tried changing the fuses to no avail, even tried popping out the driver's side switches to see if there was some weird communication going on between the switches and the wires, still nothing. occasionally i will hear some clicking coming from the switch area (only on drivers side) that sounds like somebody pressing up on the switch on a window that is already closed.

if anybody has any idea where to start that would be greatly appreciated bc as of right now my unmoving drivers side window has been taped shut with a garbage bag
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Probably just the window module itself. Have you dropped soda or something on it at any point? You could try buying a replacement unit, and before you go through the full headache of undoing and redoing the melted plastic attachment points, you can just take off the door panel and swap the connection. If it's not it, you could return the piece.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #3
pippu95
Rep
Drives: 2008 316i

Make sure that all the connectors are not corroded. You can use stuff like CRC electro contact spray.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:24 PM   #4
E92JNB
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Please help!! Window problem
I have a 2007 328i coupe. I had trouble with my driver's window not working going up and down. The driver switch for Windows , can't work on passenger window, mirror adjustments, it's like it's dead or something. The mirrors also kept making this ticking sound like it wanted to turn Everytime I start the car and a little while driving. Well, today my coworker wanted to show me how to put the windows down using the key fob. So, he did and my driver's, passengers, and sunroof did which I was truly amazed because I didn't know it could do that (sorry I'm a newbie) well, I was ecstatic. but when I started my car, and tried to put the window up on my driver side, it didn't go up! So now I'm stuck with a driver window all the way down and it's raining. So I bought a car cover for now. The passenger and sunroof works though. I just cant control the passenger window from the driver switch, only works if I lean over and use the passenger switch. Please help, I'm trying to do DIY before I take it and spend a fortune. My coworker tried to help and we saw this post that if we disconnected the cable for the side mirrors. It should work. We did that but still didn't work at all. The only thing upside is that the mirrors don't make any ticking sound now.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 03:15 PM   #5
fionamarybeth
Registered
Rep

(Really late) update: ordered a new driver's side switch off amazon for like 40 bucks, popped out the old one with some trim levers, plugged in the new one and now it works like new! Button for the mirrors works again, all the windows work again. Thank you everyone!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #6
fionamarybeth
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92JNB View Post
Please help!! Window problem
I have a 2007 328i coupe. I had trouble with my driver's window not working going up and down. The driver switch for Windows , can't work on passenger window, mirror adjustments, it's like it's dead or something. The mirrors also kept making this ticking sound like it wanted to turn Everytime I start the car and a little while driving. Well, today my coworker wanted to show me how to put the windows down using the key fob. So, he did and my driver's, passengers, and sunroof did which I was truly amazed because I didn't know it could do that (sorry I'm a newbie) well, I was ecstatic. but when I started my car, and tried to put the window up on my driver side, it didn't go up! So now I'm stuck with a driver window all the way down and it's raining. So I bought a car cover for now. The passenger and sunroof works though. I just cant control the passenger window from the driver switch, only works if I lean over and use the passenger switch. Please help, I'm trying to do DIY before I take it and spend a fortune. My coworker tried to help and we saw this post that if we disconnected the cable for the side mirrors. It should work. We did that but still didn't work at all. The only thing upside is that the mirrors don't make any ticking sound now.
Sounds like something similar to me, I think your problem is likely the driver's master switch. What did you end up doing for it?
Appreciate 0