E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 4 new tires car still vibrates..

05-06-2020, 07:34 AM   #23
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
Update
I replaced that one tire with the bad road force and still does it. Drove with the old and new tire back to back and still was the same.

I'm starting to believe this is a drivetrain vibration. Sometimes when you start the car cold and you know let it idle then drive away you'll get this vibration quite noticeable getting up to speed the first time you do it then gets better and disappears when warm. Doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it'll have a bit of a faint rough idle at cold start. Fuel trims are all between 0 and -10 so no vacuum leak. Might do spark plugs.

These past few days it's been doing it consistently on the highway, felt in the pedals, nothing on the steering wheel.

I'm going to drive it for a while like this see if it gets to a point where I can visually identify a worn out part. This can't be a tire issue at this point.
If your caliper is getting stuck it can cause vibrations. I experienced this myself when my rear passenger caliper seized. It felt as if tires were not balanced. You will notice the rotor is super hot and the wheel itself gets hot.

Check for this because you can damage your wheel bearing and/or rotor.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #24
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Quote:
Update
I replaced that one tire with the bad road force and still does it. Drove with the old and new tire back to back and still was the same.

I'm starting to believe this is a drivetrain vibration. Sometimes when you start the car cold and you know let it idle then drive away you'll get this vibration quite noticeable getting up to speed the first time you do it then gets better and disappears when warm. Doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it'll have a bit of a faint rough idle at cold start. Fuel trims are all between 0 and -10 so no vacuum leak. Might do spark plugs.

These past few days it's been doing it consistently on the highway, felt in the pedals, nothing on the steering wheel.

I'm going to drive it for a while like this see if it gets to a point where I can visually identify a worn out part. This can't be a tire issue at this point.
If your caliper is getting stuck it can cause vibrations. I experienced this myself when my rear passenger caliper seized. It felt as if tires were not balanced. You will notice the rotor is super hot and the wheel itself gets hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Quote:
Update

I'll have a look at this. My rear rotors also have quite the noticeable lip and need replacement so who knows if this could also have something to do. Going a bit outside the norm since the usually tire balancing isn't getting the job done.

I've also noticed a bit of skewed braking lately too so this could be it
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #25
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Use a cheap infrared thermometer after a quick drive...that will tell you for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 07:49 AM   #26
Joey.G
Rep
Drives: 2011 328I Xdrive

If you ind an outcome please post back, I am dealing with the same exact thing, Some days I notice nothing and others I have a slight vibration. I think I will keep a Temp gun in the car and check it, this car did sit for a couple years and I did put new Firestone tires an replaced the brakes, the car has under 80K on it. 2011 328 I X Drive. I don't believe it to be a tire issue as it comes and goes, I was leaning towards a bearing starting to act up as that is what it feels like when it is doing it. If rotor shows a lot of heat I'll try greasing the pins first and go from there. Brakes feel great all the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 01:40 PM   #27
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Update basically I didn't wanna wake up this thread again but I've checked at least by hand after driving the wheel temps and the front is obviously a bit hotter then the rear but they're all about even side to side. Only thing that maybe could be related to the brakes would be my rear rotors have a lip and need replacement but I doubt this would cause this vibration?

Recently the car has developed more of a floor/pedal/seat vibration. I believe this issue is going to be in the driveline instead of a wheel and tire issue. Also it doesn't always do it, if I do a 0-80 pull it will vibrate for sure while driving after that and sometimes it will change how it vibrates depending on how you rev it on the highway.

Barely anything is felt on the wheel but a faint vibration which I believe is transferred from the floor
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #28
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Are your wheels torqued properly? I had a vibration in my car that was easily fixed by torquing all the wheels to the proper 81 ftlb. (110 nm).
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #29
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Are you sure you just don't have warped rims? Most shops don't even look at the wheel spinning and just rely on the machine to tell them how much weight each wheel needs.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 01:31 PM   #30
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I will retorque when I get home.

I've had these wheels with these and different tires countless times balanced. Last time I took them to get road force balance and one gave a bad rating in the rear and replaced the tire it was good. So I guess what's left to blame is drivetrain
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 12:04 AM   #31
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Tonight I decided to go under the car and check the center support bearing. Here's a picture

And a video of how I'm able to move it prying with the beaker bar a bit

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:42 AM   #32
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Tonight I decided to go under the car and check the center support bearing. Here's a picture

And a video of how I'm able to move it prying with the beaker bar a bit

Thoughts?
Does the vibration only occur under power? This could cause a vibration. There is definitely something failed with the bearing but I don't know how much that small deflection would cause a vibration. When I pulled my whole rear end apart I installed the bearing support upside down, this definitely caused a vibration but it only happened under power and was worse in lower gears (makes sense as there is more torque going through the driveshaft). Either way it is completely plausible this could be your issue and needs to be fixed right away anyways. Pretty easy DIY and the part isn't super expensive. Worth doing right now and report back.

Last edited by Volasko; 07-08-2020 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 11:42 AM   #33
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I think I'm going to order it and inspect the guibo at the transmission output shaft aswell tonight. That video was with a breaker bar but this one is with my hand moving it.

I've sometimes had what you described as vibration when accelerating specially when like taking off from a stop but I've always attributed it to bad roads or something. My vibration mostly happens over 70 and can go away sometimes but can get worse if driving after doing a pull or a launch. It's very much felt on the floor over 80
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 12:30 AM   #34
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Epic. New guibo at the transmission output shaft and center support bearing. Car still vibrates though less noticeably. Maybe the one in the differential could be bad?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1