E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Injector trouble / Zero-quantity adaptation question

04-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
dieseleagle
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d

Injector trouble / Zero-quantity adaptation question

My 335d is showing injector codes. Here's all that's happening:

A slightly rough idle below 1500k, above which there are no noticeable problems.
Codes for the following appeared in short order:
0x3EC0 - Camshaft sensor fault
0x4CE1 - Misfire detection cylinder 1
0x459C - Smoothness regulator cylinder 1
0x4AD5 - Zero quantity adaptation injector cylinder 1
0x4596 - Smoothness regulator cylinder 3

The ISTA+ test protocol for the injectors is showing the following zero-quantity adaptation values:
Cylinder 1: 135.1
Cylinder 2: -5.4
Cylinder 3: 25.6
Cylinder 4: -16.3
Cylinder 5: -23.4
Cylinder 6: -30.7

Otherwise, the car has 87k-mi's; CBU cleaning, swirl flap deletes, and EGR blocks installed mid 70k-mi's; and is presently 100% stock other than a TCU tune for Cali smog readiness (which was almost complete before this).

Clearly Injector 1 and 3 are abnormal. Does the positive value for cylinder 3 imply that injector three is on its way out?

I understand these values relate to the specifics of the injector. What does the zero-quantity adaptation specifically refer to?

Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

As far as I remember the DDE figures out the minimum injection quantity that it takes to get a cylinder to fire during a coasting scenario (0% throttle input coast).
If you didn't just do the CBU cleaning I'd point you to that. You sure it's been done correctly? Did you perform the increment wheel adaptation reset? Note, you'll need the newest DDE SW for that job to work in INPA+
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 10:02 PM   #3
dieseleagle
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
As far as I remember the DDE figures out the minimum injection quantity that it takes to get a cylinder to fire during a coasting scenario (0% throttle input coast).
If you didn't just do the CBU cleaning I'd point you to that. You sure it's been done correctly? Did you perform the increment wheel adaptation reset? Note, you'll need the newest DDE SW for that job to work in INPA+
While I didn't do the CBU cleaning myself, there was a clear difference in performance before and after. I also saw the poor guys shop (and himself) covered in soot. I'm certain that it was done. If I remember correctly he mentioned the computer needing some time to relearn the adaptations. This was all done a year or so ago, though. Is it possible (and probable) for an issue to take that long to crop up? The rough idle just appeared this past weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseleagle View Post
While I didn't do the CBU cleaning myself, there was a clear difference in performance before and after. I also saw the poor guys shop (and himself) covered in soot. I'm certain that it was done. If I remember correctly he mentioned the computer needing some time to relearn the adaptations. This was all done a year or so ago, though. Is it possible (and probable) for an issue to take that long to crop up? The rough idle just appeared this past weekend.
That sounds like the adaptations weren't reset by the shop guy. While most adaptations are a constant relearn, the increment wheel adaptations are not. Rough idle can appear at any time. Since you seem to have ISTA+ why not give it a try?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #5
lrklrk
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 320D F31 2013

I am keep on having one zero quantity adapter error 004AE5 in my N47 318D 2010. I have updated to the latest SW on the DDE some time ago. In the latest ISTA+ there is no such thing as increment wheel adaption reset. Though there is a zero-mass (NMK) values reset. Two question where hopefully anyone can help: 1. is the NMK the same thing as the increment wheel reset? 2. Is it safe to perform this reset myself (considering I have a proper power supply connected)? thx.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 07:04 AM   #6
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrklrk View Post
I am keep on having one zero quantity adapter error 004AE5 in my N47 318D 2010. I have updated to the latest SW on the DDE some time ago. In the latest ISTA+ there is no such thing as increment wheel adaption reset. Though there is a zero-mass (NMK) values reset. Two question where hopefully anyone can help: 1. is the NMK the same thing as the increment wheel reset? 2. Is it safe to perform this reset myself (considering I have a proper power supply connected)? thx.
Zero mass and increment wheel are definitely different adaptations. I'm not sure if the N47 even has the increment wheel adaptation. Unfortunately, we don't have much experience with the 318d here yet.
I suggest you read the FUB descriptions of the DDE adaptations for the N47 in ISTA+.
Yes, you can try to perform the reset yourself with good power supply connected. Note though that some of the adaptations will not reset depending on the cable you use.
Appreciate 0