E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > auto transmission hard down shift



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #133
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
GoRomeo's Avatar
555
Rep
3,446
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by al330 View Post
Thanks for the reply Zig. I am not sure if they did the seals. The shop says they did the valve body, solenoids and separator plate. I am up in Denver, if I was closer I would totally have you take a look. I will have the adaptations reset and see if that does the trick. Thanks again for the help!!

Interesting. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 07:41 PM   #134
lalord69
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Gulf Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snayko View Post
I'm also in "solenoids replacement" club.
If somebody needs DIY I can write it down. I did some pictures plus I have ZF manual
do you mind pm or posting your diy guide for these selenoids?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #135
maf330xi
First Lieutenant
maf330xi's Avatar
Canada
36
Rep
384
Posts

Drives: 06 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

ahaha all this time I thought it was normal. 2006 330xi here and I've noticed the delayed jerk from 1st -> 2nd gear. I'm going to try playing around with the gears in DS mode and see if its reproducible there.

I've already done the fluid flush, filter replacement and mechatronics sleeve update for the ZF transmission so I'll ask my mechanic to take a look at the solenoids.

Thanks for all the input and helpful instructions OP!

Edit:
The maintenance work done on the transmission was a while ago so I didn't bother checking for this delay. But do you think I'll need to buy the mechantronic sleeve again or re-use the one I currently have?
__________________


Blacklines | 19" Morr VS8.2 | Gloss Black Grilles | PE | M-Tech | KW V1 | Euro Spec Headlights
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #136
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
258
Rep
1,853
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (8)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snayko View Post
I'm also in "solenoids replacement" club.
If somebody needs DIY I can write it down. I did some pictures plus I have ZF manual
Would love to see a DIY for this!!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #137
snayko
Private First Class
26
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: 325i 2006
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Gainesville, FL

iTrader: (0)

Sorry didn't have enough time or just was lazy
Will do today.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #138
alika808
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: 21 18' N, 157 51' W

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigsman View Post

The logical steps to take in order are:

1. Reset adaptations
2. Update software
3. Complete transmission service
4. Replace transmission seal adapter and mechatronics seal with solenoid replacement

I caution you though...this is an expensive process if you follow that order. If you are going to do the work yourself, I would suggest starting with number 4 and complete number 1 and 3 at the same time. If you are having a shop do the work and you are doing it in this order, you will be charged twice for the transmission service because everything must be drained out to replace the solenoids.
Mr. Zigsman,

Item #1 and #2 are these a must to do after replacing the solenoids? I appreciate for your input. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #139
zigsman
Private First Class
29
Rep
162
Posts

Drives: 2009 M3 E92; 2006 330i E90
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alika808 View Post
Mr. Zigsman,

Item #1 and #2 are these a must to do after replacing the solenoids? I appreciate for your input. Thank you.
#1 is a must if you would like to "reset" the way the transmission shifts, it is HIGHLY recommended. #2 is not required, but it is always a good idea to keep all the software updated in your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #140
snayko
Private First Class
26
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: 325i 2006
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Gainesville, FL

iTrader: (0)

BTW we have a small DIY on solenoids replacement http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1193573
Even though there are plenty of videos on that topic that Is more helpful I think
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 05:15 PM   #141
kiel_dafo_kenyg_as
DIE ANTWOORD
Germany
64
Rep
641
Posts

Drives: 335d E92
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bimmer's home - Bavaria

iTrader: (0)

MAF sensor!
__________________
King of the road says you move to slow
http://www.e90post.com/forums/album.php?albumid=11471&pictureid=55607
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #142
Paull11
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: E92 328Xi N51
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Boston Ma

iTrader: (0)

HI folks , im having the same issue! i purchased the car last thursday , and returned on Friday, bought it from a private Dealer, the Rear Wheels are completely done, car was vibrating so bad, Dealer ordered two Wheels , they are waiting for it . i told them that i could notice a Delay Downshifting from 2 to 1 Gear. I've call them 1 h ago they told me that they're still waiting for the wheels and than they will take the car to BMW, I've print the Solenoid fix from this Thread, and show it to them , they said that they drove the car and it was normal ! BShit.... if they don't solve this issue ill use the Lemon Law....
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 02:12 PM   #143
ThatRWD
Captain
65
Rep
998
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

Lemon Law applies to a new cars only I believe. And perhaps only the original owner.
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2015, 10:20 PM   #144
XM_Rocks
Captain
61
Rep
688
Posts

Drives: 2016 GTI, sold my E90 N54
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRWD View Post
Lemon Law applies to a new cars only I believe. And perhaps only the original owner.
Yeah, it's original car purchased by the original owner and the problem has to be attempted to be fixed 3 times in the manufacturers warranty period by the manufacturer.

I lol'd when I read what he wrote.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 11:27 PM   #145
Paull11
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: E92 328Xi N51
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Boston Ma

iTrader: (0)

Nop guys , I've double checked the laws here in Mass... They explain everything. The warranty covers the engine and trans..., I did a loan , and the bank told that they didn't fund the dealer until I call them.
It seems a really quick fix , the problem is they always try to save some money. If they take the car to the dealer , they won't replace the Seleoids, the Steler will try to sell a brand new trans... I'm sure they r not willing to spend that $$$$.

http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/consumer-r...ranty-law.html

Last edited by Paull11; 12-22-2015 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #146
Gblagdon333
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2006 330Xi / 1999 M3 Cp
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Got some questions for Zigsman and Snayko. Thanks for the wealth of information I've already gained from this thread.

Got an e90 330Xi auto w/58k miles

A few weeks ago after running fine in the morning the car started to shift odd. Hard up and downshifts and late shifts, pretty much everyone has been experiencing. I've cleaned the MAF and tried resetting the adaptations with the throttle trick (I don't think it works)

So I am onto changing the solenoids as it seems most likely because its shifting hard in manual sport also.

Some questions I have are:

1. Does the BT tool support the adaptation reset that is necessary for the project? I was planning on getting it anyways so this would be great. I am nowhere near the point to try getting DIS capabilities.

2. The transmission name plate is for the parts list is corroded and cannot be read. Know of any other way, short of removing the pan to determine the parts list? I am going to contact CTST also.

That's all I have for now to get everything I need together but I am sure I will have a bunch more questions once I get into it next week. Will take a bunch of pictures for another DIY.

Thanks Guys
-George

Last edited by Gblagdon333; 12-24-2015 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #147
Empire777
Registered
2
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: Bmw 530i e60
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by going nuts View Post
Zigsman,
Are you still out there? Are you sure the solenoid change will take care of the issue? I saw your in the Phoenix area. Are you a mechanic? Do you have a shop? I'd like a little assurance. I'd even be willing to drive up there from San Diego as I'm going nuts putting money into this money pit of a car.
I have a 2007 335i with 69K miles. It is doing the same hard down shift from 2nd to 1st. I already dump a couple grand in getting the intake walnut blasted because it was misfiring. Now the dealer wants 8K for a new trany. Of course since there's no codes given they don't know what to do, so they just say put a new trany in it!
Are these parts you have the links too good parts and not made in china crap?
Or is it better to get them from BMW?
I know... a lot of questions...that's why going nuts!
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Hey zigs man I'm here in az and having the same issue with the gears going from 2-1
I need help and to see if you may help fix it ! Please give me a response new to the website and don't know how to message on here !
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #148
Paull11
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: E92 328Xi N51
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Boston Ma

iTrader: (0)

Well , returned the 328 xi today ... Dealer told me that they can't spent all that money on the car! At least I don't have to deal with the issue ... Now looking for a 335i convertible... Hoping to have some good power ...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 08:40 PM   #149
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
GoRomeo's Avatar
555
Rep
3,446
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gblagdon333 View Post
Got some questions for Zigsman and Snayko. Thanks for the wealth of information I've already gained from this thread.

Got an e90 330Xi auto w/58k miles

A few weeks ago after running fine in the morning the car started to shift odd. Hard up and downshifts and late shifts, pretty much everyone has been experiencing. I've cleaned the MAF and tried resetting the adaptations with the throttle trick (I don't think it works)

So I am onto changing the solenoids as it seems most likely because its shifting hard in manual sport also.

Some questions I have are:

1. Does the BT tool support the adaptation reset that is necessary for the project? I was planning on getting it anyways so this would be great. I am nowhere near the point to try getting DIS capabilities.

2. The transmission name plate is for the parts list is corroded and cannot be read. Know of any other way, short of removing the pan to determine the parts list? I am going to contact CTST also.

That's all I have for now to get everything I need together but I am sure I will have a bunch more questions once I get into it next week. Will take a bunch of pictures for another DIY.

Thanks Guys
-George
Try PM them...private message directly.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #150
maneco
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW E60 530d 2005
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Uruguay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigsman View Post
I'm reluctant to say "yes", but it is a possibility. Mine would do it in D and M modes, but not DS. The reason was that in DS mode, the car does not shift into 1st gear when coming to a stop as it does in D mode. So, I could be at a stop light, go into manual (M) mode, and manually shift between 1 and 2. On the downshift to 1, the car would physically jolt! (even while stopped). Try to isolate the gear. Drive it in manual mode and between all gears (up and down). Once you think you found it, shift between those two gears multiple times to verify. This is how you will know if you have a bad solenoid.

You might just need a drain/service, you may not need a new solenoid if this does not happen in manual mode.
Hi Zigsman, first of all thanks for your great advises and your good willing to help people "in troubles" (like me). I'd love to live a bit closer Phoenix to get your help, but I'm afraid I'm a little far from you, 5786 miles south, in Uruguay.
I have a 2005 BMW E60 530d (diesel) with exactly the same syntoms like your bmw (used to) have.
My car has the annoying jerk when stopping, downshifting 2 to 1, in "D" mode, not in "DS" and in "M" as you say, it not goes to 1st gear when stop so there's no problem. As you said too, in "M" mode, with the car stopped, downshifting from 2 o 1 jerks, but upshifting 1 to 2 it makes a really horrible bung/slam that even moves the car, it's really scaring.
The only thing different, (maybe is different between models) is that I am preety sure in my case on "DS" mode it downshift to 1 gear too (like in "D") but with a difference in the speed/RPM when downshift. In D mode is around 3 MPH, while in DS is near 10 MPH. So this is the reason why in DS it not jerk when stopping just like it don't jerk when -in "M" mode- you downshift at 10 MPH or so. If you let the car almost stop when you downshift (3 MPH) the jerk is there (like in "D" mode.).
So I'm in the same way, looking for a solenoid kit to replace, but I like to hear from you what do you think about my comments and if my situation could change your diagnosis about the solenoids.
I have the option to update the egs too (my soft is old) but I don't know if it's a long time process. I don't have a voltage regulator, so I'm afraid to drain the battery and break the update. Is it necessary to update the DME/DDE too?

Another thing I notice, (and you not commented), is that I feel an important delay between the time you accelerate and the effect in the car. Sometimes when I have to cross a route when cars come quickly -for example- I hit the pedal a fraction time before I should, when the car is still crossing, to ensure I can cross quickly behind him. But it seem this is a different issue, isn't it? I change MAF a few weeks ago but this sensation is still the same.

Sorry for my poor english, thanks again to everybody in this forum, and I would ask to people who gets help and solve his problems, not to forget to post how they do it.
Best regards
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #151
zigsman
Private First Class
29
Rep
162
Posts

Drives: 2009 M3 E92; 2006 330i E90
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneco View Post
Hi Zigsman, first of all thanks for your great advises and your good willing to help people "in troubles" (like me). I'd love to live a bit closer Phoenix to get your help, but I'm afraid I'm a little far from you, 5786 miles south, in Uruguay.
I have a 2005 BMW E60 530d (diesel) with exactly the same syntoms like your bmw (used to) have.
My car has the annoying jerk when stopping, downshifting 2 to 1, in "D" mode, not in "DS" and in "M" as you say, it not goes to 1st gear when stop so there's no problem. As you said too, in "M" mode, with the car stopped, downshifting from 2 o 1 jerks, but upshifting 1 to 2 it makes a really horrible bung/slam that even moves the car, it's really scaring.
The only thing different, (maybe is different between models) is that I am preety sure in my case on "DS" mode it downshift to 1 gear too (like in "D") but with a difference in the speed/RPM when downshift. In D mode is around 3 MPH, while in DS is near 10 MPH. So this is the reason why in DS it not jerk when stopping just like it don't jerk when -in "M" mode- you downshift at 10 MPH or so. If you let the car almost stop when you downshift (3 MPH) the jerk is there (like in "D" mode.).
So I'm in the same way, looking for a solenoid kit to replace, but I like to hear from you what do you think about my comments and if my situation could change your diagnosis about the solenoids.
I have the option to update the egs too (my soft is old) but I don't know if it's a long time process. I don't have a voltage regulator, so I'm afraid to drain the battery and break the update. Is it necessary to update the DME/DDE too?

Another thing I notice, (and you not commented), is that I feel an important delay between the time you accelerate and the effect in the car. Sometimes when I have to cross a route when cars come quickly -for example- I hit the pedal a fraction time before I should, when the car is still crossing, to ensure I can cross quickly behind him. But it seem this is a different issue, isn't it? I change MAF a few weeks ago but this sensation is still the same.

Sorry for my poor english, thanks again to everybody in this forum, and I would ask to people who gets help and solve his problems, not to forget to post how they do it.
Best regards
It's really up to you whether or not you want to update the DME and the rest of the car. It may or may not help you, it did not help me at all. As far as the hesitation with acceleration; that is a different problem and can be caused by an assortment of issues such as a bad MAF, which you have already replaced. It could be be plugs, coilpacks, VANOS, low octane fuel, fuel injectors, etc. If you have not completed a tune-up on schedule, I would start with that to solve your hesitation issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #152
stratman3
New Member
stratman3's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Orlando, Fl USA

iTrader: (0)

Glad I came across this post after doing a search. My car has the downshift bump coming to a stop but I've also noticed it's delayed going from park to reverse. I had a local independent BMW shop quote me around $700 to do the fix on page 1. Does the price sound fair? Also had another shop say my tranny was on it's way out.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #153
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
GoRomeo's Avatar
555
Rep
3,446
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigsman View Post
#1 is a must if you would like to "reset" the way the transmission shifts, it is HIGHLY recommended. #2 is not required, but it is always a good idea to keep all the software updated in your vehicle.
Hey Zigsman,

How is it going..


Was reading this post again, do you know the latest tranny software version for our cars e90 330i? I never done any updates so I wonder if I should or not.

My tranny is good, I sometimes get hesitation on 1-2nd gear. No issues downshifting. I am also due for new coils and vanos. i did a fluid flush couple of years ago but never reset adaptations or did any software update. cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #154
zigsman
Private First Class
29
Rep
162
Posts

Drives: 2009 M3 E92; 2006 330i E90
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman3 View Post
Glad I came across this post after doing a search. My car has the downshift bump coming to a stop but I've also noticed it's delayed going from park to reverse. I had a local independent BMW shop quote me around $700 to do the fix on page 1. Does the price sound fair? Also had another shop say my tranny was on it's way out.
Are you talking about the transmission service and seal adapters? If so, then, yes, $700 is a good deal. The oil alone is going to run around $400. If you are talking about replacing all the solenoids in the transmission, those alone cost around $700.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST