E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 30FF, can't adjust rear wastegate rod

10-22-2019, 07:11 PM   #1
MLars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

30FF, can't adjust rear wastegate rod

Hi guys,

Recently installed a VRSF intercooler and upgraded to MHD Stage 1+. Now that my car is demanding more boost, it's starting to show some problems. I've re tightened my intercooler connections and have replaced the driver side vacuum lines and the lines on both sides of vacuum canisters (haven't done wastegate ones yet) and still get the 30FF fault.

While changing vacuum lines I also tried to adjust the rear wastegate rod because my car has awful wg rattle. I bought a small ignition wrench set and the 10mm can't seem to grab the wg rod nut. I have the vac canister mount and coolant tank removed so I can clearly see my wrench is on the nut, but it almost seems too big. Anyone else run into this issue?

When running just stage 1 it wouldn't throw the code, but based on my logs was still slightly below the boost target:
https://datazap.me/u/mlars/9-28-2019...=0&data=3-4-20
https://datazap.me/u/mlars/9-28-2019...=1&data=3-4-20

Here's after initially installing the FMIC, but before going back and tightening clamps and replacing vac lines:
https://datazap.me/u/mlars/10-13-201...=1&data=3-4-20
https://datazap.me/u/mlars/10-13-201...=1&data=3-4-20

And after tightening clamps and doing the vacuum lines I mentioned above (no change in boost, car seems to maintain 14psi):
https://datazap.me/u/mlars/10-21-201...=0&data=3-4-20

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Matt
      10-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Your wastegates are sticking, time to start saving up for turbos. Sorry dude.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 07:57 PM   #3
MLars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Your wastegates are sticking, time to start saving up for turbos. Sorry dude.
Wonderful , guess I'll turn it back down to stage 1 and start saving up for the inevitable. Thanks for the reply
      10-23-2019, 11:25 AM   #4
MLars
United_States
Rep

Thinking about this some more, would my boost solenoids prevent the wastegate from opening/closing/getting stuck? I'm not sure if those have ever been replaced. Also still unsure why I can't loosen the wastegate nut with my 10mm
      10-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLars View Post
Thinking about this some more, would my boost solenoids prevent the wastegate from opening/closing/getting stuck? I'm not sure if those have ever been replaced. Also still unsure why I can't loosen the wastegate nut with my 10mm
Maybe you're doing it backwards
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:44 AM   #6
MLars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissubaru View Post
Quote:
Maybe you're doing it backwards
Facing front to back, turning wrench clockwise towards engine
      10-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bad solenoids will cause wild oscillations in boost. If boost is present and steady but low, you're looking at either a boost leak or a bad turbo.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #8
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
This. 10mm lossens the nut on the shaft and a combination of 4 and 4.5 I think? will tighten the shaft soooo towards the engine to loosen the big nut and away to take some slack out of the wg. Then just firm up the big nut. Mark the rod with a sharpie and try 2 full turns to start.

Now I'd love some suggestions on the front - I can't even see much of it. Saw that a few people have done it with a split washer and magnet but I imagine you'd have to be underneath the car or have help guiding it.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 07:05 AM   #9
MLars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
Quote:
This. 10mm lossens the nut on the shaft and a combination of 4 and 4.5 I think? will tighten the shaft soooo towards the engine to loosen the big nut and away to take some slack out of the wg. Then just firm up the big nut. Mark the rod with a sharpie and try 2 full turns to start.

Now I'd love some suggestions on the front - I can't even see much of it. Saw that a few people have done it with a split washer and magnet but I imagine you'd have to be underneath the car or have help guiding it.
Yup, so I am turning it the right way. But the problem I'm having is my 10mm wrench just strips off the nut before I can actually get a turn in, seems about .5mm too big. Also for the front one the only fix I've read is the washer spacing method
      10-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #10
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep

Vise grips FTW

Just drop the subframe and the downpipes, you can get at the wastegates no problem.
Oh, and pull the water pump to get the front.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #11
MLars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Vise grips FTW

Just drop the subframe and the downpipes, you can get at the wastegates no problem.
Thanks, I'll give the vice grips a try. Think I'll wait to replace the turbos before I drop the subframe and downpipes 😂
      10-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #12
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Vise grips FTW

Thanks, I'll give the vice grips a try. Think I'll wait to replace the turbos before I drop the subframe and downpipes 😂
You won't be able to get to the front wastegate bolt/nut.

If the rear is being a b@tch, try soaking it in Kroil Oil overnight. If no go, use a small torch.

You have to do the horseshoe shaped no. 8 washer trick to the actuator bolts for the front turbo.

For the rear, once you crack it loose, Mark it with whiteout & turn it 2.5 times.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #13
MLars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Vise grips FTW

If the rear is being a b@tch, try soaking it in Kroil Oil overnight. If no go, use a small torch.

You have to do the horseshoe shaped no. 8 washer trick to the actuator bolts for the front turbo.

For the rear, once you crack it loose, Mark it with whiteout & turn it 2.5 times.
Might have to do that, seems pretty rusted on there. Going to adjust rear first and see if that fixes rattle (since that's supposed to be the "easy" one...)
      10-24-2019, 09:03 PM   #14
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Vise grips FTW

Might have to do that, seems pretty rusted on there. Going to adjust rear first and see if that fixes rattle (since that's supposed to be the "easy" one...)
The U shaped washer trick isn't horribly complicated. You just super glue two No. 8 SS washers together & use a dremmel to cut out a notch so they look like a horse shoes you do this twice for 2 sets.

The top bolt is easy. The bottom bolt does require some dexterity.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 03:52 PM   #15
MLars
United_States
Rep

Quick update. Finished replacing vacuum lines and got a vacuum tester on Amazon. At idle, the vacuum pump is pulling a solid 25" to each boost solenoid and the hose between solenoid and wastegate is reading 18" (both front and rear). Also connected the tester directly to the wastegates with the car off, and I can hear each one closing when releasing vacuum. I can only see the rear WG rod moving, but it seems to be fully open around 7". With car off, boost solenoid inlets slowly leak down from 25" to 0 in about 30 seconds, which I've read is normal.

So from these tests it seems I have no vacuum leaks and my solenoids are working properly. Maybe if one WG was stuck I loosened it up by pumping vacuum to it on and off a couple times, we'll see when I get a log tonight.