E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Deepest West Virginia: A BMW Tour of Southern Coal Country

06-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #67
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150 View Post
cool, cool, cool,

Did you run in to Spencer and Eugene?

Last time, you toured my neck of the woods S NJ
Cuz,

Thanks! As for Spencer and Eugene, my understanding is that them boyz hang out in North Carolina. I'll look for them the next time I'm down there!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #68
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
best post yet.
RB,

Best comment yet--thanks!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:25 PM   #69
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss0803 View Post
Another great post, thanks for sharing!
ss0803,

My pleasure, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

The next trip will take place soon, with or without implements of destruction…

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:29 PM   #70
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmarYasirA View Post
Another fantastic adventure. You should seriously consider making a big group for your next trip and take some people with you. Im sure a lot of people would be interested in going with you.
AmmarYasirA,

My one experience with leading a tour was on motorcycles for the BMW Bikers of Metropolitan Washington (BMWBMW) club. We had an absolutely superb time, until a major thunderstorm changed directions and swamped us just outside of Harpers Ferry, WV. The storm also knocked down a tree across the road, about a mile ahead of us, completely blocking our path. We had to turn around and go a different way and then have a leisurely lunch in a very nice restaurant while we all dried out. (Surprisingly, none of the staff at the restaurant complained!)

Maybe the next time will work out better!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:33 PM   #71
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
One again an outstanding and brilliant story and pics, it is a joy to read and see for me !

A minor mistake to correct; The Crowe movie is titled; "A Beautiful Mind"
Romo,

You are so right! Thanks for spotting the error, which I have now corrected.

I suspect that there might still be a few more errors worth catching, although I haven't heard of any others. Yet!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #72
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by comar1979 View Post
Wow! a 20 Minute Vacation

Thanks for sharing!
comar1979,

Bitte!

I'm impressed that you were able to read through the whole report in only 20 minutes. It usually takes me about 4 hours, partly because I fall asleep halfway through…

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #73
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by all8up View Post
This was an amazing journey through WV history, well done.
all8up,

Thanks much! It really was a fun adventure. I just watched the movie "October Sky" last night, which is about Homer Hickam Jr.'s experience growing up in Coalwood, WV. After the movie and his book, Rocket Boys, I really need to go back and explore Coalwood.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #74
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
Axiom,

Well, I guess everyone likes to joke about West Virginia, although all the people I talked with there were friendly, interested in my exploration of their state, and fully compos mentis.

Rick

PS: What does it mean when a West Virginia baby is drooling from both sides of its mouth? It means that the trailer is level…
LOL! I was only kidding of course, but those pictures make it look VERY nice, if not a bit too rural. Please do more of these trips!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #75
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
Thanks for sharing, beautiful place.
I've been to Berkeley Springs WV, never been to the Greenbrier but would love to visit...
From google

Berkeley Springs below
V1.47fan,

The good thing about owning a BMW is that you can do what I did in 2010: I drove up to the entrance of the Greenbrier, was stopped by two hotel security folks, who asked if I was checking in, and I said, "No, I'd just like to get a photo of the wonderful old place," and they let me in. Try that in a rusty Pinto!

Some day I'll actually stay there, but not so far. As for Berkeley Springs, it's a great place to visit. Check out A Z4 Tour of Haunted Houses--and the Devil's Mercedes for one example. The castle shown in your photo is a private residence now, although you can hire it for a wedding or other big party. When I was about 6 or 7, it was open for tours, and I have a vivid memory of parts of the inside.

So many great places to see, so little gas money!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #76
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
Great read and beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.
Tanin,

I'm very pleased that you enjoyed the report. Stay tuned for more!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #77
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooch View Post
Very cool write up. Thanks you, W.V. looks amazing.
tooch,

Thanks! West Virginia really is amazing. So much of it is just scenic beyond belief.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #78
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Quote:
Dave,

Maybe it's time for another Miata—have you seen the new one that's just coming out?

As for going into the coal mine, it was primarily fascinating and only a little unnerving. I was quite aware of the low ceiling flashing by about a foot above my head as the electric locomotive rocketed along. I kept hunching lower the faster we went!

Although I wasn't impressed with the idea of roof bolting to keep the ceiling from collapsing, apparently it works very well. Mostly I assumed that, if they've been giving tours there since 1962, then a cave-in wasn't all that likely. Actuaries like to assess risk probabilities, don'tcha know!

Rick

Miata. we have had 6. The last one was too heavy and didn't handle like early ones. Frankly, they cost too much when bought new. depreciation first year is awful. so there are better choices

I have been watching Z4's. and Boxsters.

We had an MZ4 for a short while. I had a health scare back then. didn't drive the M much. all worked out well (health)

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #79
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mnycars View Post
"...A final note on Bluefield is that it was the birthplace of John F. Nash, Jr., the brilliant mathematician who was portrayed by Russell Crowe in the film “A Brilliant Mind.” He was born in 1928 when his father was working here as an electrical engineer for the Appalachian Electric Power Company. Sadly, he and his wife Alicia died just a few days ago when the taxi they were riding in lost control on the New Jersey Turnpike. They were returning home after John had received the Abel Prize in Norway. A tragic ending to a most unusual life."

This was such a meaningful movie to me. I appreciate your reference to it.

I had graduated from university, and just become a professional engineer

My Brother experienced his first episodes and was soon to be committed to hospital care, as a schizophrenic. I didn't know what to make of him. I wanted to cure what affected him.

It was not to be. This movie helped me understand my brother better

thanks for your reference here.

Dave
Dave,

I know your brother has faced this challenge all his life, as have many others. Your dedication to his wellbeing is both admirable and inspirational. I thought the movie did an outstanding job of portraying how people with mental illness can fundamentally see things differently.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #80
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed reading all the history and looking at the photos. That before and after photo of McDowell street in Welch was cool, but sad at the same time. Really put in perspective how much of decline that city has seen since coal mining boom.
BlackJetE90,

I'm glad you enjoyed the write-up. In fairness, regarding the Welch photo, there was just enough traffic that I couldn't stand in the street to compose the photo for as long as I would have liked! A stray pickup or bus would come along with impeccable timing, just as I was finishing the composition, exposure settings, and so forth!

It was still sad to see the remarkable decline in prosperity, as you note. On top of the hill, where the Welch courthouse is, there was lots of activity. A lot of it, of course, involved lawsuits and other means for one party to take another's assets, rather than working to build businesses and increase wealth for everyone.

I continue to be optimistic that the U.S. will once again recover from the current economic malaise and return to the economic powerhouse that it has historically been, with excellent education, widespread innovation, and many economic opportunities for all. [/soapbox]

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #81
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
Great post. Having grown up on a farm about seven or eight miles north of Lewisburg, having a practice wife from Logan county and playing sports in almost every county on your trip, I was captivated by your post. Traveling those roads in a school bus isn't quite as exhilarating as your 335. I'm always humbled by and appreciative of those who help me learn more about the state in which I was raised. I took the beauty for granted growing up. I love going back just to see the ruggedness of it all, but the economic struggles of the locals is disheartening. Thanks for sharing.

PS. My mom loves bimmerpost now.

PSS. The Buffalo Creek disaster may be very interesting for you. It carries drama from the personal to major legal. Many law schools use the resulting law suits as case studies for modern class action law suits.
Audio Fan,

I've heard from several folks who grew up in or now live in southern West Virginia, and I'm glad that I was able to accurately capture the nature of this part of the country. It really is beautiful and sad, all at the same time.

I'm very pleased that your mom is now a bimmerpost fan. That's great! She might like to check out some of my other trips to WV at Rick F.'s trip reports.

As for the Buffalo Creek disaster, I'd heard of it but didn't know any specifics. Now, after reading about the 1972 flood disaster following the successive collapse of three "stacked" coal mining dams—made of mining refuse on top of coal slurry—I'm stunned at the collective negligence of the mine company and the inspectors. You might expect this kind of irresponsibility in the 1800s (as with the Johnstown, PA flood disaster), but the Buffalo Creek dams were built in 1968!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #82
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfordbay View Post
Thanks again! Great read as always.

I always save your stories for a relaxing read Sunday afternoon at a quiet corner of the pool. BMW, history, travel, Sunday afternoon, beautiful weather and a view like this ... it doesn't get much better!
crawfordbay,

Wow, the next time I read one of my trip reports (or anything else, for that matter), I want to do it from your poolside!

I'm glad you enjoyed the report, and doubly so given the excellent weather!

Rick
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #83
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfy View Post
Another great post, Rick.
Excellent history lesson for me and your pictures are truly spectacular!
Thanks for sharing!
wulfy,

You're very welcome, my friend!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:24 AM   #84
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Fantastic... As always your work is nothing short of amazing.

Thank-You !!
RS,

Aw shucks…

Seriously, I'm really glad that you enjoyed the report. I've got another trip coming up soon, so the new photos will be flying again.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:26 AM   #85
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxguy09 View Post
Also from Bluefield/Princeton. Moved about 3 years ago. Cool to see someone is enjoying our state's beauty.
saxguy09,

Despite having spent 2˝ days in southern WV, I barely scratched the surface. I can't wait for the next time I'm down there for further exploring.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #86
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marblefaun View Post
Born and raised in The Mountain State, I enjoyed you photographic (yet phobic) account of your travels. My wife and I did a similar "Coal Country Tour" last summer in a 645Ci to work on a documentary she was producing. We visited Whitesville, Twighlight, Bandytown (Home of Jesco White) and other towns along the Big Coal River

Next time through, try to make a stop at Harpers Ferry, Shepherdstown, and in Weston to check out the old Weston State Hospital (Now the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum). The Eastern Panhandle is an interesting contrast to the southern counties.

Thanks for sharing.
marblefaun,

Sweet! I lived in West Virginia for 4 years when my dad was a professor at WVU, but I was so young that I remember very little about it. We also vacationed at Cacapon State Park near Berkeley Springs, WV for a number of years. I still love to hike in the mountains and swim in mountain lakes.

That's excellent advice about Harpers Ferry, Shepherdstown, and the Weston asylum—but I've already taken your advice! My first visit to Harpers Ferry was when I was about 7, long before the National Park Service had done any renovations. My brother Curt and I found a back way into some of the buildings, and we spent a lot of time happily exploring the (then) ruins.

My wife and toured the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum a few years ago. A former TALA nurse was our tour guide, and her stories were nothing short of chilling! Check out The Asylum, the Poorhouse, & Other Tales of West Virginia for some photos of both Harpers Ferry and the asylum.

What I really want to do sometime is to get into the large cavern and lake that sit directly underneath Charles Town, WV. I know where the entrance is located, but that building has been closed for a long time. Also, the cavern is said to be filled with noxious fumes, although that might be to dissuade would-be explorers like me!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:48 AM   #87
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Another fantastic journey Rick,thanks for sharing your travels with us here,you have helped me understand a little more about your country and the history that is mostly forgotten until someone like you comes along and unearths it to reveal a glimpse of a time that was.

Thank you!
Needbmwpartzz,

My pleasure, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

In the same way that land is made up from layers of sediment over time, our history has layer after layer, reflecting the different time periods. A lot of the "coal mining period" in West Virginia is still frozen in time the way it was in the late 1800s and early 1900s, which makes for a fascinating exploration of the area.

One of these days, of course, I'm going to have to wander a little further and do some exploring of Canadian history!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #88
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Quote:
Dave,

I know your brother has faced this challenge all his life, as have many others. Your dedication to his wellbeing is both admirable and inspirational. I thought the movie did an outstanding job of portraying how people with mental illness can fundamentally see things differently.

Rick
Wow. means so much to me. Thanks.

I do what I can. He loves riding in sports cars. Talks about getting his license.

Dave

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0