E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Confession of an E93 owner

10-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i

Confession of an E93 owner

I love my E93 but this weekend I cracked a rim and destroyed a tyre. Not sure how, but let's apportion the blame between my driving, the ultra low profile tyres and potholes. On Sunday I needed a car to run kids around so I rented an Hyundai I30. . The Hyundai is a 2018 model with 35k kms on the clock. The BMW is a 2007 convertible with 80k on the clock.

The Hyundai has less rattles, a softer ride, freewheels a lot easier, burns a lot less fuel, the boot lid is light (kids can actually lift it), more leg room, four doors, the CarPlay just works without a crappy Android head unit and dongle, all steering wheel buttons work to control the Carplay, there is individual tire pressure monitor. The seat height gives pretty good view of the road, the steering is much lighter, the initial punch of the line is more solid that the rear wheel drive BMW, tyres are cheaper and less susceptible to pot hole damage, fuel mileage and service costs I assume are better; basically a pleasure to drive and frankly fast enough on Australia roads.

I feel like I am cheating on a girlfriend when I say nice things about other cars, but 12 years of technological improvement, a lighter car with a less sporty profile has some merits.

How many of you have a primary car to run around in and use the E9x for a fun car?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 02:45 AM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieatlarge View Post
I love my E93 but this weekend I cracked a rim and destroyed a tyre. Not sure how, but let's apportion the blame between my driving, the ultra low profile tyres and potholes. On Sunday I needed a car to run kids around so I rented an Hyundai I30. . The Hyundai is a 2018 model with 35k kms on the clock. The BMW is a 2007 convertible with 80k on the clock.

The Hyundai has less rattles, a softer ride, freewheels a lot easier, burns a lot less fuel, the boot lid is light (kids can actually lift it), more leg room, four doors, the CarPlay just works without a crappy Android head unit and dongle, all steering wheel buttons work to control the Carplay, there is individual tire pressure monitor. The seat height gives pretty good view of the road, the steering is much lighter, the initial punch of the line is more solid that the rear wheel drive BMW, tyres are cheaper and less susceptible to pot hole damage, fuel mileage and service costs I assume are better; basically a pleasure to drive and frankly fast enough on Australia roads.

I feel like I am cheating on a girlfriend when I say nice things about other cars, but 12 years of technological improvement, a lighter car with a less sporty profile has some merits.

How many of you have a primary car to run around in and use the E9x for a fun car?
Hahah Aus
Ok to be loving on a I30
That said Im pretty sure the bimmer would leave it standing off the lights
No other car... spcgry only.... otherwise he would crack the shits and throw a code tantrum
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2019, 06:01 AM   #3
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
I think the I30 N looks good.

As you say technology has come a long way and some of the newer cars drive impressively well.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #4
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Holding out for a company Ute which will become the daily driver. Back in the BMW with new wheels. It goes like hell and I love it. Probably the biggest daily issue is the heavy steering and heavy boot lid. Not complaining.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 04:46 AM   #5
Number96
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Holding out for a company Ute which will become the daily driver. Back in the BMW with new wheels. It goes like hell and I love it. Probably the biggest daily issue is the heavy steering and heavy boot lid. Not complaining.
I think those issues are common across convertibles in general.. I remember thinking how different my ex-gfs convertible Astra was compared to my mums Astra hatch. The benefit is obviously top down driving, but the impracticalities definately get annoying....
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 06:37 AM   #6
E93_Savage
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 73 240z , 09 335i

E93 all day everyday. That is until my datsun runs one day lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 07:08 AM   #7
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
The seat height gives pretty good view of the road, the steering is much lighter, the initial punch of[f] the line is more solid that the rear wheel drive BMW.....
Why do you own an e9x?

Edit: Not saying you're not allowed to or anything dumb like that. I mean, what is it that you like about the e9x? The seat height and steering feel (and weight) are 2 of the most important things about my e91, to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #8
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Quote:
The seat height gives pretty good view of the road, the steering is much lighter, the initial punch of[f] the line is more solid that the rear wheel drive BMW.....
Why do you own an e9x?

Edit: Not saying you're not allowed to or anything dumb like that. I mean, what is it that you like about the e9x? The seat height and steering feel (and weight) are 2 of the most important things about my e91, to me.
Feels a bit like marriage counseling. 😁
I love the raw power of the N54. I love how easy it was to extract more power. I now love the transmission since the XHP flash. I love the road holding in good tarmac. The brakes are amazing. I love the look of the car. I have always wanted a BMW.
I had this conversation with my Dad (now in his 70s ) who has owned 911s, M3 a merc 500SL. He recons I need an X3
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #9
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Fair enough! I drive a manual diesel, so I don't have, half the things you love about yours... I love mine for how it feels to drive, basically. Mainly corners rather than accel/decel. Steering feel, seat position (low!), and chassis are all central to that. I just needed to buy an economical car with plenty space too, hence 330d touring.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 09:11 AM   #10
Tran Tu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i E93

I love my 335i E93 that I have sold her after my wife give birth 4 months. Bought a RX350 so we can change nappy easier in the car.
Now my son is nearly 2 years old. Just sold my RX350.
Im trying to contact the guy bought it from me 2 years ago to buy again.
If he not replay me by Sunday, I will buy another same 335i. E93 from a random dealer on Monday !
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 04:27 PM   #11
kookie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Now that is E93 Love.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 10:16 PM   #12
ADEe92
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 320d sport plus edition

Garage List
2013 320d  [0.00]
1988 320i with M30B35  [0.00]
Quote:
The initial punch of the line is more solid that the rear wheel drive BMW
Interested in this comment - which engine did the i30 have? Might just be gearing & lack of turbo lag if it was the 2.0L as no doubt your 335i would munch it 0 - 100km/h.

The FWD should struggle to put the power down like your RWD does - my wife has an Elantra and it drives fine but the drive by wire is slightly annoying off the line and it's easy to stall (6 speed manual though, not auto).

Agreed with all others here, it's the way my e92 drives that I like. My e30 has more punch off the line though with the big atmo 6 in it & nearly 300kg less curb weight
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 06:27 AM   #13
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADEe92 View Post
Quote:
The initial punch of the line is more solid that the rear wheel drive BMW
Interested in this comment - which engine did the i30 have? Might just be gearing & lack of turbo lag if it was the 2.0L as no doubt your 335i would munch it 0 - 100km/h.

The FWD should struggle to put the power down like your RWD does - my wife has an Elantra and it drives fine but the drive by wire is slightly annoying off the line and it's easy to stall (6 speed manual though, not auto).

Agreed with all others here, it's the way my e92 drives that I like. My e30 has more punch off the line though with the big atmo 6 in it & nearly 300kg less curb weight
I don't know how to explain it. It feels like the initial take off is slower. I am not referring to a drag race, rather to regular driving. I may be wrong but it feels like a heavy car with drivetrain slack - torque converter stall + auto clutches + engine mounts + diff back lash ...seems less taught than the fwd. my GTI DSG for example, felt more deliberate.

Regarding the steering feel . Having read the responses and having spent quite a bit of time on the freeway of late, I am going to get my alignment checked because I don't get that "centred feedback" sensation. "Heavy but vague" is not a BMW trait.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #14
ADEe92
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 320d sport plus edition

Garage List
2013 320d  [0.00]
1988 320i with M30B35  [0.00]
Sounds like a combination of gearing and throttle response. The modern atmo engines of most makes have amazing throttle response now, that does make them feel lively even when they're ultimately not that quick.

I notice with the Elantra that Hyundai are pretty tricky with their throttle mapping - it's logarithmic rather than linear, so at part throttle the car feels peppy but you'll notice if you mash the throttle to the floor there's not much difference.

My e92 on the other hand has linear throttle mapping so it takes a fair shove of the pedal to get the car really moving, but it's much easier to finesse the throttle. Maybe that's the difference you noticed?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 08:35 AM   #15
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADEe92 View Post
Sounds like a combination of gearing and throttle response. The modern atmo engines of most makes have amazing throttle response now, that does make them feel lively even when they're ultimately not that quick.

I notice with the Elantra that Hyundai are pretty tricky with their throttle mapping - it's logarithmic rather than linear, so at part throttle the car feels peppy but you'll notice if you mash the throttle to the floor there's not much difference.

My e92 on the other hand has linear throttle mapping so it takes a fair shove of the pedal to get the car really moving, but it's much easier to finesse the throttle. Maybe that's the difference you noticed?
I think you could be right. I have my throttle set to be very progressive. If i think way back to before drive by wire, if you blipped the throttle really quickly you would see the Reba rise and probably more importantly you would hear the butterfly open. On my diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee i can mash the throttle to the floor and release it quickly enough without the vehicle even moving off the line. No butterfly because it is diesel but the turbo lag is huge.
I'll try remap my throttle.
Point taken about there not being much difference between feathered and WOT on the Hyundai
Appreciate 0