E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > E90 ECU Rescue Team.. Calling all Coders..

03-24-2017, 05:05 AM   #1
FKingBear
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sport+

Smile E90 ECU Rescue Team.. Calling all Coders..

So I finally received my Schumacher 700a and was able to get everything setup and start rescuing my car.. I'm about to make a short Youtube vid of where I'm at and post up some error pics and the list of my ECUs and their programing status. I have before pics of 21 ECU's showing and then after with something like 8..

I hate myself for it BUT I got the car running so it was a hell of a win/loose..
car needed the CAS update for the steering lock..

Now the details.. Car is a 2006 E90 (sedan) chassis 330i with N52 and first round ZF Automatic transmission. Has Navigation and sport packs.. I say this because I'm not sure if this means anything when trying to look up ECU family information..

I have Full ICOM the next gen from china, appears to work great, and a K+Dcan cable I used to get the CAS updated and brick everything else almost.

I'm looking for ANY advice, if its an IDEA. Feel free to share maybe we can learn something as a community, Cough** (like how dumb I am)

First pics are of before I started butchering ecu modules, they are timeline linear, What I'm looking for is where do I start? with what program and what ECU family do I want to rescue first? AND how to change programing status of some modules.. (as you can see I have a cluster of nutty fudge..)

Have Team Viewer setup BUT idk if I can Icom and wifi.. I'm sure I can figure something out though maybe teather with phone using USB..
Attached Images

Last edited by FKingBear; 09-25-2019 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: pics
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 05:23 AM   #2
FKingBear
Noob
United_States
Rep

If you download the pics

If you save the pics the names give a brief description but obviously.. I started with 22 and bricked em down to 8.. I have good phone 2 laptops and everything needed to do whatever you would want to from here.. but I'm not sure where to begin..

Pic of the Schumacher 700a.. thing is BEAST..

Also I did find that in BMW coding tools I can use the check ecu button and it does find a few but even ones that say OK in INPA don't all show in there.. IDK but could be useful..
Attached Images

Last edited by FKingBear; 09-25-2019 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 05:31 AM   #3
FKingBear
Noob
United_States
Rep

This is ALL that my navi and climate does..

Navi just sits on logo its kinda annoying cause its a little bright but I deserve the glare from the car after what I did.. :/ The climate works perfect AC heat all that jazz but it never reads anything other than that pic..

This info is just to provide insight but for all I know it means nothing I assume its cause its all bricked, but its good they light up n stuff right? If that does even matter..
Attached Images

Last edited by FKingBear; 09-25-2019 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 05:45 AM   #4
FKingBear
Noob
United_States
Rep

pic size..

Just gonna say it.. Pics are silly large but in my defense they were TINY after the resize in Photoshop.. 12% of the original sizes and much lower save quality.. I'll work on a better size or enlarge text to match so it flows better as I'm sure this is gonna take a few bottles of whiskey to fix.. The car that is not he pics or font :P I put fat tires on it.. Love em.. I would only enlarge text to keep pic quality higher for zoom ins.. if its not needed I'll resize the pics.

In lighter news got a new steering wheel.. OG is faded more than I.. Why post that here cause you may have NO idea HOW BAD I fucked up.. I do, and its very complicated LOL.. I dont expect many to understand but those that do.. Please enjoy that laugh on me. so for the rest you at least get a car and car parts pick..
Attached Images

Last edited by FKingBear; 09-25-2019 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: pictoral sizage -_-
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 07:30 AM   #5
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

I'm struggling to understand what you have done?

How have you done this?

I suggest installing ISTA D Rheingold and running a Vehicle Test to see exactly what is going on.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 04:04 PM   #6
FKingBear
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
I'm struggling to understand what you have done?

How have you done this?

I suggest installing ISTA D Rheingold and running a Vehicle Test to see exactly what is going on.
hello again.. sounds good to me.. I have it installed just need to run it. Ill post results here in couple hours need to find an outlet im back at my condo.. I really hate this place.. cant work on anything without people freaking out.

I bought the car not running I updated CAS and the steering lock issue was solved for a sec.. then it came back i updated the rest of the modules in my car.. bricking most with the k d can cable.. then got a lock emulator (aka elv_emulator) car started fine as that was the issue and now im fixing my stupid mistake of messing with everything else.

Ill get on posting those results.. Thanks for the reply again Sir Sensible.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #7
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
right now as I understand you dont see modules on DCan, the list only shows modules on MOST.

this leads to either DCAN problem (well, china device) or JBBF either bricked either gets no power, etc.

please, resize photos

UPDATE:
just noticed you've started the car, then jbbf should be fine and looks like its only connection problem
still hard to figure out whats going on with this pictures, they are too big
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
FKingBear
Noob
United_States
Rep

Lol I agree.. Pics make it insane to try and read. Let me fix those first..

I started INSTA D and had errors so i reinstalled it correctly. I am using an ICOM emulator (from china)

Im pretty sure the K+Dcan cable is fine. I haven't been using it since I got the ICOM. I can use Easy Connect and switch to STD:OBD with the ICOM and it reads just fine. (For the ones it reads. )

Working on pics now (pic done I'm from the future ) Then gonna try out this fresh install of Reinhold.

On way outside to try to and run ISTA-D and see what I can find out..

Last edited by FKingBear; 03-24-2017 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: cellphone grammar was :/
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #9
FKingBear
Noob
United_States
Rep

Yes car does still run.. Air Bag SOS and other lights rotate on the mini screen and no speedo the E-Diff is not working either.. Ask me how I know. (serious baby tap over some water on dry oily pavement and car acted SO dramatic.)

When I got the car I used WinkFP and I assume a good K+Dcan cable I ordered from what seemed to be a reputable guy. I only needed to update the CAS to get the car to run but I had also herd about Comfort Access door sensors killing batteries..

There was a new battery in it when I got it and I changed for a better AGM OEM size, It died overnight twice. After I got the cable I flashed CAS first then EACH one down the list in WINKFP with the D+Kcan cable not realizing when they weren't showing back up that was bad I figured after a reboot or something they would all pop right back up.

The pics are in order from that day and the last one is of the programing status as of NOW! and the ICOM box is just to show the exact Chinese ICOM emulator box thing I'm using.. Ive seen a couple and IDK if there is an difference.. You get the IDEA of which ECUs I flashed by seeing how many were LEFT in the other pics.. NOT A HUGE HINT if any at all.. If it helps it helps..

Let me get my butt outside and grab us something useful.. Just to add my INSTA-D LOOKED like it was working but it was missing screens, so I didn't know I downloaded a manual and read that and noticed my install was MIF'D..

Downloaded new versions of everything and reinstalled it.. Headed out to actually git er DONE!

Last edited by FKingBear; 03-25-2017 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: didnt make shit for sense and a quick proof read showed..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 12:13 AM   #10
FKingBear
Noob
United_States
Rep

The Fails Were For Voltage.. Derp

I'm dumb I only think I failed due to voltage drop hence the 700a and I wasn't about to RESCUE my car with the D+Kcan I figured I had done enough with that thing LOL.. I do love it though and I just checked it reads the 8 left just like the ICOM does.. So I don't think this was due to cable issue.. Not for the NON - MOST modules..

I bet I did screw up the MOST modules by using the wrong cable with already voltage issues..

Had battery charger and a darn good one but I think it just was not sensitive enough to keep up once the flashing got started..

I reinstalled everything following THIS! guide and using the files form that torrent which I'm loading on my personal Rust gaming server and going to seed for a VERY long time.. mini shout out to JackF as my source for those resources..

Last edited by FKingBear; 09-25-2019 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Site sources..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 12:21 AM   #11
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
what i can see is that ur mask is not programmed, it has status 15

not clear why u dont see modules on dcan/kline, neither on icom nor inpa cable
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 12:36 AM   #12
FKingBear
Noob
United_States
Rep

You mean why dont I see the REST of them?

I can see stuff just not the stuff that I cant see.. What shows in ICOM shows on D+Kcan..

They are showing only the 8 modules left..

I think 1 of them is responsible for reporting for the others.. I have NO REAL idea.. I feel like if I get what I can see working more will come back..

I'm gonna pic n post the results here of the INSTA-D program.. Being as it wasn't working (the program INSTA-D) to begin with I feel it was definitely the right place to start..

If you have other tests, guides or suggestions you think I should try to complete.. Fire away. If I do nothing more than learn that's what I came here for.

Last edited by FKingBear; 09-25-2019 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 03:44 AM   #13
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K22Honda View Post
I can see stuff just not the stuff that I cant see.. What shows in ICOM shows on D+Kcan..

They are showing only the 8 modules left..

I think 1 of them is responsible for reporting for the others.. I have NO REAL idea.. I feel like if I get what I can see working more will come back..

I'm gonna pic n post the results here of the INSTA-D program.. Being as it wasn't working (the program INSTA-D) to begin with I feel it was definitely the right place to start..

If you have other tests, guides or suggestions you think I should try to complete.. Fire away. If I do nothing more than learn that's what I came here for.
Show is screenshort of:

ISTA-D - Vehicle Test Tree View
ISTA-D - Fault codes
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 09:29 PM   #14
FKingBear
Noob
United_States
Rep

Screenshots coming..

After plugging into the car I had more errors of databases and program versions not matching I used the database files from the Chinese HDD they sent me as they were very large and I wanted to save time from downloading them. The condo wifi is cringe speeds :/ 300kbs limit on speed.

I slept well and jumped right in this morning to try to fix the install if I could. I was not able to in the end as the program would only close after opening..

Im re downloading the full torrent to an external drive and I'm going to install fresh on new 1tb ssd..

The file was HUGE so I may have to get a VPN and use my cellphone tethered.. but I wont rest until I have screen shots.. I was at Fry's earlier grabbing the new external and internal SSD's

Thank you all for the time you took to comment I will not let you down More to come soon but probably not till 2am tonight.. Ive got Redbull so I'm good there..

Also my Rust server is cloud so downloading TO it was easy, but that didn't help me locally other than I'm able to download directly from it now.. condo wifi limit is killing me "slowly" so I'm going to get on this VPN and tether thing in hopes to speed this up..

Last edited by FKingBear; 09-25-2019 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 03:14 AM   #15
FKingBear
Noob
United_States
Rep

I broke the friggin laptop that I was using to code the car with. :/ So I'm just about to get the rest of the parts to fix it then I'll be back in business, while cleaning it realized I didn't unplug the mobo bios battery. shorted it when I got it wet.. Was so nasty with dust though and the GPU heat sink pad thingy was dry and floating around inside. I got all new ones of those too.. I'll be updating with laptop pics for humor and the readout at the same time. Parts arrive in couple days now. I've far from given up.. I upgraded laptop too while I was at it. I'll share details soon..

Last edited by FKingBear; 09-25-2019 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #16
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

wow. I can't tell what you're even asking here.

Your modules do not display in INPA??

Glad you have a picture of your ZB # before anything happened, along with the ECU address.

My FIRST piece of advice to you would be to purchase the BimmerGeeks Pro cable.

My second piece of advice would be to make SURE your WinKFP/INPA/etc is all set up correctly with the daten of your choice. (I used V55).

Once you receive your PRO cable from BimmerGeeks, then you should take a look and see if your modules show up. There will be no need for MOST in my experience, but those are my words, not anyone elses. I know because I just flashed ALL modules in my car using the BG PRO cable and had great success.

There is a firmware bug in ALL the other USB>OBD cables out there and the BimmerGeeks cable is WELL worth the money. Additionally, if we all know you're on the same page as us, we can help you much more effectively.

Keep us updated. I went through something similar last week and would be more than happy to help where I can as long as you keep your posts clear and concise.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #17
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post
wow. I can't tell what you're even asking here.

Your modules do not display in INPA??

Glad you have a picture of your ZB # before anything happened, along with the ECU address.

My FIRST piece of advice to you would be to purchase the BimmerGeeks Pro cable.

My second piece of advice would be to make SURE your WinKFP/INPA/etc is all set up correctly with the daten of your choice. (I used V55).

Once you receive your PRO cable from BimmerGeeks, then you should take a look and see if your modules show up. There will be no need for MOST in my experience, but those are my words, not anyone elses. I know because I just flashed ALL modules in my car using the BG PRO cable and had great success.

There is a firmware bug in ALL the other USB>OBD cables out there and the BimmerGeeks cable is WELL worth the money. Additionally, if we all know you're on the same page as us, we can help you much more effectively.

Keep us updated. I went through something similar last week and would be more than happy to help where I can as long as you keep your posts clear and concise.
He has ICOM Next already. No DCAN cable neccessary. He just has to fix his laptop and install Rheingold. All will become clear for him.

This guy has a great setup with the Schumacher power supply and ICOM Next.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:22 PM   #18
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Sounds like i'm not needed here! good to hear and best of luck🤓
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 04:30 AM   #19
FKingBear
Noob
United_States
Rep

Where should I hook up the power supply?

I'm finally able to try this again, I STILL have low voltage?? Better Ideas where to hook up the power supply? I have it under the hood clamps are HUGE, do I really need to adapt this to fit in the trunk? those terminals are tiny. I'm trying different grounds in the bay ATM.. IDK if I have the supplies to hook in the trunk but if that's the answer I'll do it. :P

What I went through and un-relevant information.. for the one in my shoes to understand the WHOLE process..

I ended up buying a new laptop a Yoga 2 off craigslist cheap. I didn't realize it was a tablet THING a muh-bobber.. I got the Evo 850 in (barely fit) had hybrid ultrad thin 500gb drive.. Built a custom windows 8.1 with a start bar integrated, I actually just tweaked one off team OS. (Heavily Tweaked) was missing all .net for the ICOM to work. Yes I own a license but changing 200 settings every fresh install. -_- Ain't nobody got time 4 dat..

Drivers were fun enough to find and install the Lenovo website has SOME but mostly missing for the Haswell series that I OF COARSE ended up with.. I ID'd each device and found drivers from each manufacturer.. This device only has 2 USB ports. I'm using a DIAMOND Ethernet to USB dongle as it is like native. tried others that cost more and they didn't work.. I will post a pic of my tools used.

-----------------------------------------

I plugged it all in I'm tethered off my phone in the passenger seat now while I post this.. Been cruising the service manual for ground points but IDK I think that's my real issue here..

Ok I've tried 4 points the shock towers and I bit the clamps in GOOD and the ground behind the headlight on the passenger side plus a couple aluminum arms down under, (lower control arm ETC) yeah I'm desperate LOL I had to try it.. But pending the voltage issue STILL.. Only me lol fudge cakes. The software is reading and bringing up info on the car. It doesn't get all the way through though and has warning where (I manually abort cause it says I can) Don't want to dig a deeper hole so I'm going to dig in my cuz's garage for stuff to hook it to the battery directly.. He's gonna HATE me but I think I'm going to cut his jumper cables up and solder on ring terminals.. just use the Shumacher clamps to bite fresh 0 gauge copper. :P He works in towing so even though I'll order more on Amazon NOW.. Hes gonna FLIP over this.. I'll update if this is the answer..

Last edited by FKingBear; 09-25-2019 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: Hate wasting space..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 05:09 AM   #20
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

So what is the problem?? The power supply should be fine connected under the bonnet.

Just run ISTA D and upload screenshots of the results for us to see...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 05:19 AM   #21
FKingBear
Noob
United_States
Rep

It says voltage low

I have terminal 15 at 12.11 and terminal 30 at 11.9 and the power supply is hooked up ALSO just noticed Ive been running INSTA-P.. Looking for D now and going to run it right now.. Ive now used vice grips and hooked straight to the battery.. NO change.. Maybe its not reading correctly? seems to be going DOWN if anything and Ive had everything OFF as much as I can.

And the charger is set to 14.4 and coding.. :/ says in the error of INSTA - P that I might have the power supply configured wrong.. I just used it how it came out of the box.. Changed modes, from auto charge to coding but never altered the voltage on the charger in coding mode yet.. it can go higher but I feel like this should be MORE than enough.

Last edited by FKingBear; 09-25-2019 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: relevant info..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 05:33 AM   #22
FKingBear
Noob
United_States
Rep

Cant find INSTA-D??

I installed it.. I'm not sure where to start it from I'm still looking but if this should be obvious or if INSTA-P is the same thing please inform.. even if all you can tell me is INSTA-P is not the same and I need to look harder.

Do I launch it from the tester GUI? or was that just for the install.. IDK how familiar you are with the installation.. just grabbing at straws here :P

Last edited by FKingBear; 09-25-2019 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0