E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Alpina - What the E9x's should have been

05-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Alpina - What the E9x's should have been

After seeing the price of diesel increase so dramatically over the last few months, and seeing it increase on a near on daily basis, it got me thinking.

After running diesels for the last 6/7 years, mainly because of the advantages of MPG in both the miles you get per gallon and the price difference in petrol v diesel, it’s becoming clearer that any advantage in running diesels is or has disappeared.

So after making a few calls I popped across to Sytner in Sunningdale, to have a look at this:

The Sunningdale Sytner B3 is about 2 months old with 2.5k on the clock and fully specced. The dealership ordered the car with the 19” Dynamic wheels to give the car a more contemporary look.
I’m sure Alpina purists would disapprove, I on the other hand like them, and I think they make the car look more up to the minute. I was not a great fan of the badge festooned rear end, however it will give most a good idea of just what it was that just blasted past them!

The first thing you notice on seeing the interior is the nicely appointed sports seats with the ‘Alpina’ emblems in the top middle of the back. The silver plated numbered production plate on the cabin roof light above your head is a nice touch too, although I was not keen on the standard Burled Elm interior trim (can of course be changed). Apart from a few other touches it looked fairly standard. In honesty I did not take too much notice of the interior, as I was keener on getting the thing out on the road.

The first thing you notice on starting the car up is of course the sound of the exhaust, even with the windows closed you can’t mistake the rumble from the rear, which coming from a diesel was delightful to hear. The sound was not that loud to cause discomfort, but I could not help but use the gas peddle far more then was needed, as I pulled out of the car park.

The second thing that is noticeable is the missing paddles, and I quickly found the hidden gear shift buttons on the back side of the steering wheel, how brilliant! Left button - change down, right button change up, so simple.

My only cause for concern as I pulled away was the missing throb from under your right foot, as most who have a big D will testify, that sensation of urgency from the diesel engine is unmistakable, and whilst I was expecting the B3 to be different, it was a strange non feeling.
However on picking up speed, the urgency soon became apparent as the increase in revs livened the beast up no end, along with a sonorous sound from the rear that reverberated around the cabin.

The sales guy was great, and very keen to ensure that I got everything out of the experience. I have never been on a test drive with a sales guy and heard “ go for it” at every available opportunity, and the Guy ensured the route we took gave him ample opportunities to repeat the request, which I was obliged to comply with, let’s face it, it would have been rude not too!

The B3 has 360bhp which is around 20+ on the 335D, which is not noticeably that much.
However the torque of the D certainly does give a huge low down advantage over the B3, which is very noticeable in the lower speeds, but where the D scores, the B3 more than makes up for any deficiencies in the way it rides.

What a revelation!

The ride, the way it handles, the corners it goes round as though on rails, the B3 could well have been manufactured by another marque, it is totally unrecognisable from my E92. The B3 is in a class of its own in comparison, no crashing, no skipping, no tramlining, only the very worst of surfaces were just noticeable in the car and apart from everything else on the B3, the ride and everything associated with it, was simply fantastic.

As you would expect the B3 is chalk and cheese to the D, and the fun with the petrol burner was to get it up to speed, as I’ve already explained the ride was immense, with levels of comfort that I could only dream of.
The performance was not mind blowing in honesty, and in truth I was a little disappointed, however I think that says more about the stonking performance of a mapped D, then anything lacking in the B3.
Don’t misinterpret what I’m saying here, I’m not saying the D is faster, I’m sure in most scenario’s the B3 would leave the D for dead, as you can take the B3 places the D could only wish to go, mainly as a result of the incredible suspension setup.
The gear change in the B3 is a fantastic feature, one I would willingly pay more for if it was an option, quicker and far smoother than the D, and certainly easier.

Would I buy one – well the B3 kicks off at £48ish, but bear in mind the Alpina comes as standard with loads of options boxes already ticked, so at £10k more expensive than the 335D sport, it is not such a considerable uplift.
It is a fantastic car, with the ride and gear shift being the highlights for me personally, the aural experience was a pleasure, and whilst the performance was excellent, it never blew me away as I was expecting it too, so given the B3 takes about 6 months to arrive from date of order, I’ll reserve judgement for another year yet.

I am very envious of Real thing, it really is a cracking car, and I'm sure he will hang on to the B3 far longer than he thinks he will

The dealership is expecting a B5 shortly, so as I left the Salesguy promised to give me a call when it arrived, I thanked him and said:

“By the way, if you receive any nice pictures of the rear of the car in the post, I was nowhere near Sunningdale today”

Note: The B3 will be available as Ex-demo soon, it might be worth buying it just for the plate, you can imagine how often someone would say “ffs!” as you blasted past them in the B3.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
roofer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D M Saloon

Nice write up

You'll like the B5s.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Great write-up mate, you know you want one!! Great pics too.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
Yahoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

It is my understanding that the suspension setup on the B3 is a combination of 335xi and msport e92 components (springs, shocks etc). I suspect that alot of the improvement is due to the B3 not running RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Great wrute up Ian, and it is a great car. I do like them alot. But i believe everythign you say regarding the performance. Do doubt it is quicker than a re-mapped D, but i do not for one minute believe it would ''drop it''

is the ride ''that good''? I really want to test drive one even more now. Do you think with procede or Juice box give more HP to a regular 335i due to the other works its had done on the head etc.

15bhp than ours aint alot.

Just remember at SP i was only 1 tenth and 2mph behind James 400bhp Procede 335i.

I was closer to him than Tony's stock 335i was to me!
      05-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
I want one - love Alpinas as they are so elegant more so than the M Cars and less people know about them than the M Cars and you don't get "Alpina" E36 316s either

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
CrimsonRedE93
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E93 330d+

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
I want one - love Alpinas as they are so elegant more so than the M Cars and less people know about them than the M Cars and you don't get "Alpina" E36 316s either
Concentrate on the 320d for now Porscha once you have that start thinking about the next one

I think we should just join a car club it may be cheaper and more fun
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRedE93 View Post
Concentrate on the 320d for now Porscha once you have that start thinking about the next one

Sod it, go straight for the Alpina Porscha!! You only live once!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Very impressive write up and excellent spelling Ian.

Defo looks the part - very nice. Think you may find that sub-consciously and initially you tend to drive the car as you would a diesel (I did if I'm honest). I'm sure it would not take long before you got 'into the rhythm' of a high revving petrol engine again. The soundtrack alone encourages one to do so.

Obviously you were impressed by the handling and grip - comes as somewhat of a surprise does it not, albeit a very pleasant surprise. Surely this is one point alone where you have two cars which are closely matched performance wise, the car possessing the improved handling is going to 'pull away' along with the 'grin factor'.

Bet you won't be waiting a year.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

great review ian ..

im sure you would get used to the power delivery andi can imagine how different it is from the 335D, i find the power on mine so much fun and so useable... not sure i would want to go back to a petrol

i dont know if i like the wheels or not, i will sit on the fence for now i think on those.

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #11
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
What a great write-up - especially since you are comparing it to a re-mapped 335d.
I am also shocked that the ride/handling is so much better.

Not a fan of the badges or bodykit, but I really love the wheels.

The sooner I loose the back RFT's on my car, the better.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #12
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRedE93 View Post

I nearly bought an Alpina about a year ago but ended up going for a Porsche instead

Always thinking about the next car, hopefully a 944 turbo to come to the Porscha! fleet before the end of this year as well as the dee.

As for car clubs I'm seriously enquiring about the Classic Car Club to find out their minimum insurance age!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #13
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Ian,

Great write up this is what e90 Post 'ontopic' is all about. Intelligently written reports by someone who can compare 'apples with pears.'

Alpina's Love Em. To be honest as there are so many M Sports around we get used to them but any Alpina or a full on 'M' will always get my attention. I can see many benifits in the pina' over the 335d in terms of ride and handling on an everyday basis so if you were comparing one with the other it's well worth the extra 5k if you were choosing new from the showroom for experience and exclusivity.

If you trade yours in I think you have to promise yourself that you will keep it for 3 years plus and you will get value for money out of it and justify the cost to change outlay on this car.

- Black or Alpina Blue for me
- I love those alloys on the black.
- Light colour leather, heated with alpina logos
- Sunroof

- If you want me to come and spec it with you give me a shout.

Can you get the Alpina Suspension kit to fit to your 'd' mixed with some regular tyres maybe this is the answer?

BB, totally agree about the petrol thing - re-engage brain for a bit of high rev fun.

Ian, this will niggle away at you and I am sure you will crack soon. It's mentally yours just need to empty your stuffed matress of £20 notes and it will be 6 months away.

I'll buy you a burger on Sunday if you let me have a spin your new Alpina.
      05-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #14
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW (E91) 325d M Sport Touring

Garage List
I want one Cracking write-up
      05-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Very impressive write up and excellent spelling Ian.

Defo looks the part - very nice. Think you may find that sub-consciously and initially you tend to drive the car as you would a diesel (I did if I'm honest). I'm sure it would not take long before you got 'into the rhythm' of a high revving petrol engine again. The soundtrack alone encourages one to do so.

Obviously you were impressed by the handling and grip - comes as somewhat of a surprise does it not, albeit a very pleasant surprise. Surely this is one point alone where you have two cars which are closely matched performance wise, the car possessing the improved handling is going to 'pull away' along with the 'grin factor'.

Bet you won't be waiting a year.
I sub-consciously drive a diesel they way I would a Petrol, screaming right the way up to the redline ........ whoops! LOL

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #16
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Great Review Ian puts me to shame when someone can do such a good write up from a test drive and me being the proud owner of one hasn’t even started
Mine was originally ordered with the 19” Dynamics but I changed to the Classics (still undecided which I prefer)
Also as Ged at Sytners was emphasising the importance of Running in Alpina’s I was wondering what the Mileage was?
Btw: If I do hang on to it longer than I think it could be ready for you this time next year (expected GTR Delivery) although Sept/Oct is still on the cards
      05-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #17
harpalb
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3 Biturbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
is the ride ''that good''?
A: yes!!!!

non run flats, with the suspension makes for a very relaxed and comfy ride, plus goes round corners like nothing else. Absorbs bumps in the road very well for a sports suspension set up.
      05-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #18
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
harpalb do you have a spare then?
      05-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #19
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep