E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Max Power Potential Without E85 or Meth?

06-20-2017, 01:13 AM   #23
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Mit_Boost I too would've gone MHD rather than JB4 - and had planned on it originally, but the tuning shop who installed my downpipes really recommended the JB4 and said it was essential for meth and was safer than MHD - so I got one, and now it gives me enough incremental value (bluetooth gauges, auto-tuning for e85, and logging) that I can't really see the value in removing it and going pure MHD.

I am considering changing it to gauges only and let the MHD do all the tuning, given the MHD E40 map makes more power than Map 5 + BMS E85 BEF, but it is nice to have the additional AFR and low-boost warmup protection of the JB4.

******** Thanks for your response - the reason I ask (as I allude to above) N54tech is pretty quick to lay the 'safety' line on MHD (but they're friends, since they get a lot more access to the ECU BEF via MHD than they did from the BB tool - from what I've read)- just as MHD is quick to say JB4 *needs* the safety mechanisms it has since it *hides* reality from the ECU. But again (and not to argue, but rather to increase my understanding) when you load a map onto the ECU via MHD, don't you get pre-set ignition timing and pre-set boost levels. So if you're relying on Meth or PI to meet those targets, you'd better have damn good safety in your Meth or PI systems because the only line of defence the ECU has on its own is the knock sensor, whereas a JB4 can monitor flow and AFR and decrease boost and timing instantly if your PI or Meth systems fail?

I'd expect a MHD custom tune to beat a JB4 auto-tune every day, and 'on-the-fly' map switching does nothing to help peak performance - but the downside (as I understand it) is you'll always be running on your most aggressive tune with MHD (unless you want to pull over, turn the car off, do a 2 minute flash, then engage in a rolling-race) whereas you can spend all daily driving time on the auto-tune with a JB4, then switch to your custom-tune or high-boost 'kill map' on approach to a canyon or drag race.

With the JB4 in 'piggyback' mode, yeah, I get the hate. It does what it does by manipulating what the ECU sees and has very 'peaky' performance. But with the JB4 frontend and a custom tuned BEF, don't you get the benefit of automatic, instant 'limp-home' protection if your LPFP can't keep up, your PI fails, or you run out of meth - which you won't get with a straight MHD tune?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:35 AM   #24
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******** View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhNexus View Post
At what power levels do you see people starting to have transmission issues? With a BEF, I'd be aiming for just under 500whp. I don't plan on going over.
It varies, no specific whp. Definitely more common at 450+ . There are countless of posts of people having DCT issues with the JB4+BEF. BEF or custom BEF is only a band aid for the time.

Try googling "dct slipping" . You will notice the 335is DCT is more notorious and synonymous with the Jb4 for causing the issue, BEF or not.
Hi BQ
I'm a DCT owner and there are others like me who want a custom tune for this very reason. I've emailed you before with some questions about your tune but didn't get a response. What's the best way to reach you ?
      06-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #25
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
but the tuning shop who installed my downpipes really recommended the JB4 and said it was essential for meth and was safer than MHD - so I got one, and now it gives me enough incremental value (bluetooth gauges, auto-tuning for e85, and logging) that I can't really see the value in removing it and going pure MHD.

I am considering changing it to gauges only and let the MHD do all the tuning, given the MHD E40 map makes more power than Map 5 + BMS E85 BEF, but it is nice to have the additional AFR and low-boost warmup protection of the JB4.

Thanks for your response - the reason I ask (as I allude to above) N54tech is pretty quick to lay the 'safety' line on MHD (but they're friends, since they get a lot more access to the ECU BEF via MHD than they did from the BB tool - from what I've read)- just as MHD is quick to say JB4 *needs* the safety mechanisms it has since it *hides* reality from the ECU.
I'm gonna come out and say it, but N54Tech is going to be very JB4 biased... I mean, I don't know any other vendors who route to forums directly from their website

Now, I'm not bashing the JB4, but it's more limited at what it can and can't do when compared to either of the mainstream flash tuning modules (COBB & MHD). Not sure why you need AFR and low-boost warmup "protection", because if your tune is properly setup it should be hitting AFR/Boost/Timing targets every time. Also, it should be common sense to not be flooring it right after a cold start.

As ******** hinted at, COBB and MHD aren't re-writing the OEM safety parameters (unless your tuner is changing those settings). As a result, I'm much more inclined to use a flash tune, modify the appropriate tables for the respective setup, and drive. My "kill" 93 map is the daily tune and there's no reason it shouldn't be. The tune is aggressive, but also safe and isn't leaning on the ragged edge where I'm praying the knock sensors keep up or that the turbos are on borrowed time. The only time I'm reflashing is when I switch to an E85 map, in which case I can change maps in less time then it takes to fill up.

**Note** Once again, I don't support meth and you're tempting fate if you're using it as a fueling bridge. But if you needed PI to run your setup, I would be aware that I'm running a very aggressive setup and at a minimum would have an AFR gauge installed to constantly monitor, along with regularly data logging to ensure everything is running as it should. While we currently don't have any Standalone EMS-level failsafes (for example, drastic drops in fuel pressure automatically and preemptively trigger a defined safety parameter and force the car into a limp mode), you shouldn't be negligent and just be happy things are running "right".

Results >

Last edited by Mit_Boost; 06-20-2017 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50
      06-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #26
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit_Boost View Post
While we currently don't have any Standalone EMS-level failsafes
uhhh aquamist or jb4...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #27
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
uhhh aquamist or jb4...
Those are effective but only have control over limited events. But these are no where near as comprehensive and integrated as a Motec/Syvecs/ProEFI/AEM standalone

Results >
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #28
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit_Boost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
uhhh aquamist or jb4...
Those are effective but only have control over limited events. But these are no where near as comprehensive and integrated as a Motec/Syvecs/ProEFI/AEM standalone
Have syvecs solved the piezo issue ?
      06-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #29
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Have syvecs solved the piezo issue ?
No, unfortunately N54 support has been put in the backseat while they finish up E9x M3 and 997.2/991 Porsche Turbo PNP packages

Results >
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #30
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Mit_Boost ******** Thanks, TIL.

You've convinced me to put the JB4 in 'gauges only' mode and load the MHD E40 map.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #31
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Mit_Boost ******** Thanks, TIL.

You've convinced me to put the JB4 in 'gauges only' mode and load the MHD E40 map.
Best of luck. Naturally, try to find a tuner you can trust to help you polish everything when you're ready

Results >
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 04:17 AM   #32
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

Very interesting reading this topic,BQ knows his shit and as you can see, has done this doesn't some time. Good stuff
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 06:41 PM   #33
uhNexus
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: M3CX, 335is ST 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******** View Post
It varies, no specific whp. Definitely more common at 450+ . There are countless of posts of people having DCT issues with the JB4+BEF. BEF or custom BEF is only a band aid for the time.

Try googling "dct slipping" . You will notice the 335is DCT is more notorious and synonymous with the Jb4 for causing the issue, BEF or not.
Mine isn't DCT, I have a manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #34
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

Just to put BQ more on a stage: Since I switched from my Procede my DCT is much more happy. I did flash the IS dct FW, however it is mainly the flash from BQ that made a significant difference. When proper handled (mainly operational temps play a role) the DCT can have quite some beating. I have done 100k with 450 whp+ and no DCT issues besided heat errors when I was pushing things with Procede. My RB inlets and outlets seems to keep up pretty well.
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0