E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Using 2 step colder NGK spark plugs on stock configuration?

09-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
motionex
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Using 2 step colder NGK spark plugs on stock configuration?

Hello all, quick question. A friend of mine has a set of NGK 97506 spark plugs that he gave me to fix an issue my car has with misfires and bad start up (will be doing injectors and coils later this week as well to be safe). However, doing my research, these are two steps colder than stock plugs. From my beginner mechanical understanding, these are intended for cars that make a lot more power than a stock 335i does. Is there any danger of running these on a stock configuration? My friend says a higher mileage vehicle can benefit from a colder spark plug, but I haven't learned enough yet to know if thats true or not. The N54 already makes me nervous enough with all of its issues, don't want to hurt the motor any more than it potentially already has been.

This is a link to what he gave me:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ngk-part...six/97506~akt/
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 09:57 PM   #2
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by motionex View Post
Hello all, quick question. A friend of mine has a set of NGK 97506 spark plugs that he gave me to fix an issue my car has with misfires and bad start up (will be doing injectors and coils later this week as well to be safe). However, doing my research, these are two steps colder than stock plugs. From my beginner mechanical understanding, these are intended for cars that make a lot more power than a stock 335i does. Is there any danger of running these on a stock configuration? My friend says a higher mileage vehicle can benefit from a colder spark plug, but I haven't learned enough yet to know if thats true or not. The N54 already makes me nervous enough with all of its issues, don't want to hurt the motor any more than it potentially already has been.

This is a link to what he gave me:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ngk-part...six/97506~akt/
It won't hurt it but it will probably run like shit. If you have a stock setup there's no reason not to stay with OE plugs.
      09-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

These are probably too cold for your application, but as long as they're gapped correctly (0.022") they should be fine. You might experience some stumbling during cold starts though.
      09-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #4
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightning View Post
And fouling as the deposits don't burn off.

Don't do things that are not widely reccomended. There is so much info available if you look for it. Stop going against the current.
He said he got the plugs from his friend so it's not like he had his pick of the litter, he was simply asking if there would be any issues.

I agree regarding the fouling though. These plugs are more expensive, won't last as long and won't run as smooth. Even if OP is getting these for free, spark plugs are so cheap that it’s not worth running anything outside of spec.
      09-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #5
motionex
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
He said he got the plugs from his friend so it's not like he had his pick of the litter, he was simply asking if there would be any issues.

I agree regarding the fouling though. These plugs are more expensive, won't last as long and won't run as smooth. Even if OP is getting these for free, spark plugs are so cheap that it’s not worth running anything outside of spec.
Thank you. I already got a set of Bosch OEM plugs so it's a non issue at this point, friend was just doing me a solid.

This thread only exists for the simple purpose of just making sure that what I understood to be the case was actually the case, dunno why some people have to find a way to an elitist at every possible opportunity. Thanks all for your input.
Appreciate 2
b92539.50
4 Doors1169.00