E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD flash fail

12-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #23
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i, FBO, m3 control

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
You mentioned that you push the power button twice. Is that because you have comfort access?

Normally it's just key in ignition then one press of the start button without holding the brake.

Another thing to keep in mind is that opening and closing the drivers door will trigger the ECU to go to sleep.
Thanks. It's actually inserting the key and then one button push.

Got to 8% this am. A new high.

Going to buy the WiFi dongle and try that.

I did find a power drain—my tune2air was plugged in still. I took that out last night and tried again. No luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #24
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by matamua View Post

I did find a power drain—my tune2air was plugged in still. I took that out last night and tried again. No luck.
The Bimmergeeks cable is the best you can get stability wise. I'd be really surprised if there was an issue with it.

Are you sure the car doesn't have another device like a JB4 plugged in that could be interfering with the CANbus?

If you have a laptop you could try setting up BMW standard tools. You can flash back to stock with that.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #25
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The Bimmergeeks cable is the best you can get stability wise. I'd be really surprised if there was an issue with it.

Are you sure the car doesn't have another device like a JB4 plugged in that could be interfering with the CANbus?

If you have a laptop you could try setting up BMW standard tools. You can flash back to stock with that.
Not positive about the JB4, would have to check. I think it's very unlikely given the guy I bought it from.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 07:45 PM   #26
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

How can you flash back to stock with a laptop?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 02:50 AM   #27
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
You would use WinKFP for the job. You can search for WinKFP guides related to flashing the DME on these forums.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #28
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You would use WinKFP for the job. You can search for WinKFP guides related to flashing the DME on these forums.
I searched that last night and found a few threads. None of what I found was very specific. I pm'd one of the OPs who was in a similar situation and said he got it done.

I'm getting a boot camp partition set up to upload standard tools in preparation for that.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 06:58 AM   #29
Tadlad08
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadlad08 View Post
I had this issue about two months ago. Worst experience ever. My battery was old, even though it was charged at 100% and never gave me issues it just wasn't enough. I brought a new battery and also after a while I believe my DME bricked this was after about 50 failed flash. Brought a new DME and went from ms80 to ms81 , new battery ,15 amp charger and instead of flashing back to stock flash to map 0. It may fail but the app will ask you to resume the flash where it failed at.
How much did the msd80 to msd81 cost you?
They supplied me with DME cost me $350.. you can source your own DME and get it much cheaper. I didn't have time to wait .. sent them my old DME and CAS got everything back in two days
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #30
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I had this issue about two months ago. Worst experience ever. My battery was old, even though it was charged at 100% and never gave me issues it just wasn't enough. I brought a new battery and also after a while I believe my DME bricked this was after about 50 failed flash. Brought a new DME and went from ms80 to ms81 , new battery ,15 amp charger and instead of flashing back to stock flash to map 0. It may fail but the app will ask you to resume the flash where it failed at.
They supplied me with DME cost me $350.. you can source your own DME and get it much cheaper. I didn't have time to wait .. sent them my old DME and CAS got everything back in two days
So they sent things to you and then you removed yours after and sent it in like a core charge?

Did you successfully flash after?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 09:08 PM   #31
Tadlad08
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So they sent things to you and then you removed yours after and sent it in like a core charge?

Did you successfully flash after?
I sent my old DME and cas (paid through PayPal) and they provided me with new DME cloned my old to a new ms81. Figures why not upgrade instead of repairing. Once I got it back flashed it to stage 0 in about 15min. I know MHD says their software can't brick our DME.. but after trying 50 or more times my DME was toast. If you want the company info I can send to you through PM.. or leave a link here ..

Send yours and they send back new DME and your old CAS if you upgrade to ms81 if you just want to repair your ms80 you send them your DME and cas and they the same one right back next day
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 09:14 PM   #32
Tadlad08
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Bimmer Brian (Instagram) I think is another reputable person who can flash your DME back to stock remotely. I tried him first but it failed that's when I went the route of getting another DME.. https://instagram.com/mybimmerbrain?igshid=e1yzk9bwbx2n give him a try first I think he charged me $80-$100 took about 30mins at 99% it failed that's when I knew my DME was toast.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 03:16 PM   #33
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep

Finally.

Well, I ordered the WiFi dongle on 12/16 from BMS (in CA), was supposed to get to SoCal on 12/18 with super speedy and expensive fedex shipping. For some reason it went to Tennesse first and then sat in Marina Del Ray for another 3 days. When it finally arrived, I had already left for vacation.

I got back late last night and finally had success flashing this am. Took me about 20min to flash to stage 0 and then 2min to flash to stage 1+.

Butt dyno is happy, happy, happy.

Thanks everyone for the help/encouragement.

To anyone reading this and deciding on which route to go for flashing: I'd suggest getting the MHD WiFi dongle over the bimmergeek cable. It's faster, and for me, it's been more reliable.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #34
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Good to hear. Yeah I had an issue with that cable from Bimmergeeks, not blaming them as I don't think it's their D+Kcan that's the issue, but that cheap android adapter cable they send with it that's the culprit.

The WiFi dongle is awesome nonetheless
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 11:16 PM   #35
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
Good to hear. Yeah I had an issue with that cable from Bimmergeeks, not blaming them as I don't think it's their D+Kcan that's the issue, but that cheap android adapter cable they send with it that's the culprit.

The WiFi dongle is awesome nonetheless
Hard to know in my case exactly which one it is. The combo of the two cables would read/write for a limited time and then crap out.

On the bimmergeek site, they talk about determining the culprit by seeing if the OTG will mount/read/write a flash drive on the android device. Mine did. All the lights worked on the bimmergeek cable as described.

I may still try some coding with the bimmergeek cable, though I'm a bit leery of it.

I wonder what it would take to code with the MHD or similar WiFi dongle.
Appreciate 0