E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > XTRONS IN9990BPL and Carplay Adapter Upgrade (Coming from Dynavin N6)

09-16-2019, 05:18 AM   #1
Lockman_321
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

XTRONS IN9990BPL and Carplay Adapter Upgrade (Coming from Dynavin N6)

Hi All,

Just thought i would do a quick post on my experience with this headunit as when i was looking into making a purchase there wasn't much information available.

Bit of background. My previous headunit was a Dynavin N6. Originally i was using the headunit to drive the speakers but then i upgraded the systems so that the fronts and understeats were being powered by an amp (Along side the subwoofer being powered by a separate amp). This build can be seen here .

After amplifying the speakers, the sound was much better than before and i was pleased with the system.

Although happy with the system, i was using bluetooth for music and igo primo for navigation. As you all know this has it drawbacks (e.g. only being able to go backwards and forwards on songs in bluetooth and no traffic updates in navigation), so when dynavin announced the carplay adapater (DVN - ILINK), i thought that would be a much needed addition to the system so i purchased it. Unfortunately both the sound and video quality were terrible. Terrible is probably an understatement. The resolution was lower than the head unit itself and the sound quality had been reduced further. I think the reason for this is that it connected to the system using the AV in connections. After spending £599 on the N6 and £289.99 on the ilink i was very disappointed with carplay solution. In the end i went back to using bluetooth for music and using google maps on my phone for nav.

A few weeks ago a video popped up on youtube about android headunits being able to use carplay with an adapter so i decided to do some research. I always thought that to get a decent carplay unit i would need to get a named brand pioneer or something which is why i never looked into it. I wrote the idea off as always after spending quite a bit on the dynavin and ilink, i didnt want to spend the same amount again.

After carrying out some research I decided to purchase the XTRONS IN9990BPL and the Carlinkit Carplay Dongle (Which also allows for wireless carplay and android auto). The headunit came to £216 (there is a discount on) and the dongle cost £69.99 (there is a cheaper version which is wired only). There is a more expensive version of the headunit which has more storage space and more ram but as i had planned to use carplay all the time, i didnt think i needed it.

After installing this on the weekend and I have to say.....this headunit blows the dynavin out of the water in every department.

First of all i am using Carplay. It works flawlessly. I am using it wirelessly so it connects the minute i get in my car. I haven't even bothered testing out the stock A2DP audio.

My sound system sounds incredible. There is now much more punch to the subwoofer and underseats. The audio from the speakers and tweeters sounds so much cleaner and no longer distorts at louder volumes. I feel as if i have been missing out for the last few years. Its as if the the dynavin wasn't pushing my amplifier hard enough previously.

The screen is much clearer(it has a higher resolution than the N6). All the steering wheel buttons work with the headunit and within carplay.

This i not a post to bash dynavin but to show that these "Cheap" android head units are not as bad as some people make out. Also this isn't biased as i have been using the dynavin for the last two or so years. Maybe the audio wouldn't be as good if i was powering the speakers from the headunit but i can say without a shadow of a doubt, amplified, the sound system sound so much better than when i was using them with the dynavin.

Here is a pic of the headunit using carplay (i need to remove the screen protector!). I will try and take more pictures and a video when i get chance.

Hope this helps anyone trying to make a decision on their next headunit purchase. I've seen there is a dynavin n7 pro or something but i would still choose this headunit over the dynavin based on my experience with both, the difference in price, wireless carplay option and for the bigger screen.

Any questions let me know.
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90378.50
      11-25-2019, 01:32 AM   #2
iEddiiee
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325d E92

Great write up mate, I have just installed this unit myself and would love a link for the CarPlay adapter you use?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #3
robertstokke
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 2011

Hey! Just bought this Headunit myself, having trouble making the AC fit with the included aluminium bracket. How did you manage to do it?

I also didnt get those black screws to hold the headunit. :/
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 10:47 PM   #4
dan4081
2009 E90 328i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Are you still happy with this unit? Any complaints?
Thanks
Appreciate 0