E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Proceed lease problems?

03-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #23
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

I think he was just trying to get people to stop reposting the same warranty and lease threads over and over...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #24
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
I think he was just trying to get people to stop reposting the same warranty and lease threads over and over...
Ahhh... Didn't really see that, but if true I can understand. I thought maybe he was one of these "holier than thou" saying people shouldn't modify their cars as it increases costs to BMW and thereby increases his cost. We've had several threads like those too.
      03-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #25
2009BMW335
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335boosted2Dmax View Post
HOW IS HE GONNA REPORT YOU????

He has no personal info on you and at most knows what state you are in. This guy is obviously a deusche and has no idea what he is talking about.

But if you are worried about your lease or warranty, you should not be modding your car at all.

Its like when playing poker, you can't have a value for money if you want to play higher no limit poker, like 300-600 blinds, if your worried about the lease, stick with the 1-2 LIMIT games and stay STOCK.........
lol modding a lease is not like playing poker, sorry. what a horrible, horrible analogy. as long as you return the car back to stock or with very subtle differences from stock, it's not going to matter. so there it's solved. this is gonna be the last thread about leasing/modding/warranties, sweet
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #26
335boosted2Dmax
Banned
Rep
Drives: Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome View Post
lol modding a lease is not like playing poker, sorry. what a horrible, horrible analogy. as long as you return the car back to stock or with very subtle differences from stock, it's not going to matter. so there it's solved. this is gonna be the last thread about leasing/modding/warranties, sweet
You obviously do not play poker!!! You can't have any care for your warranty if you are into modding cars and you can't have a care for money if you are a serious poker player..........sorry but you are horribly horribly wrong
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #27
2009BMW335
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
You obviously do not play poker!!! You can't have any care for your warranty if you are into modding cars and you can't have a care for money if you are a serious poker player..........sorry but you are horribly horribly wrong
so you're telling me that people who lease their cars are at greater risk to void their warranties than people who buy??????? your analogy was about warranty, so you shouldve used warranty instead of lease. then it would make sense i guess
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #28
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hey idle threats are allowed at only 50 posts...

Anyway I'm not going to report anyone, I'm just sick of seeing these posts. Just keep in mind if you did have an engine failure that was going to cost BMW 8k to fix it wouldn't be that hard for them to do a little online research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hands on View Post
Check out another one of this guy's posts...Wonder why he's running his mouth with only "86" posts...Why don't you wait till you hit '200' posts before any more "condescending generalizations" there Terry

Terry Burger
Private First Class

Drives: 335i Sedan

Hey imolazhp, condescending generalizations are reserved for members with over 200 posts only, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #29
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Ultimately, they can never prove that I ever had the Procede installed. Even if they found I was interested in buying it. Or even if they could prove that I had bought it. They never could prove I installed it. There's no trace. Hence, no way to void my warranty. Now if I went into get service with it installed and they noticed... then I would have an issue. Think how many people pay $45K to be able to mod a car. BMW isn't completely stupid.
      03-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #30
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Everyone is retarted. Modifications effect leased cars the same as financed cars equally. Im SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired of hearing this on every friggin forum Im on. You know "SEARCH" is available in the real world too.

Magnusson-Moss act. Look it up!

Lastly, Ive never had a leased car I didnt modify. Ive never had a dealership void my warranty because of a modified car or the fact it was leased. This is over 16 yrs now.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #31
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

You seem to think that warranties are like the US legal system, innocent until proven guilty. If you've ever had a modified car and tried to warranty it, you'd know it’s more like the Iraq legal system. There is a clause in the warranty that excludes repairs if the car was "abused". They can void your warranty if they find too much rubber in the wheel well or suspect it had been modified, or for any number of other reasons.

The good news is most new cars are very reliable and warranties usually aren’t a concern. Also because this is a more expensive car that doesn’t appeal to the usual “racer” crowd, BMW might be slower to catch on. Those things make it less likely they’d deny coverage, but don’t be naïve about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #32
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Burger View Post
You seem to think that warranties are like the US legal system, innocent until proven guilty. If you've ever had a modified car and tried to warranty it, you'd know it’s more like the Iraq legal system. There is a clause in the warranty that excludes repairs if the car was "abused". They can void your warranty if they find too much rubber in the wheel well or suspect it had been modified, or for any number of other reasons.

The good news is most new cars are very reliable and warranties usually aren’t a concern. Also because this is a more expensive car that doesn’t appeal to the usual “racer” crowd, BMW might be slower to catch on. Those things make it less likely they’d deny coverage, but don’t be naïve about it.

You like to think you know, but you dont. Its cute but you should really stop where youre at. Please enlighten me with this CLAUSE you so speak of.

Case in point:
LEASED my a4 and at the signing, the general manager (who Ive known for years) comes up to me and SUGGESTS I chip it because I wont enjoy the car stock(he knows how Ive modified cars in the past). I do more mods to the car(Chip upgrade w/injectors, exhaust, BOV, shortshifter, sways etc.) and the service dept thinks the car is awesome. 7 Coilpacks need replacing over the past couple years. Could be due to the chipping, could be not...all replaced under warranty. A/C has problems, car is taken apart 3 seperate times to fix until 4th time, whole A/C system is replaced UNDER WARRANTY.

LEASED my M3 and after auto-xing and drag racing for a few seasons (mods include supercharger, suspension, everything else) car is still under warranty for vanos replacement and various suspension bushing replacements.

The dealer CANNOT refuse warranty on anything unless they deem the defect is DIRECTLY affected by the modification. Im so tired of repeating this. Every dealer out there knows they will have some customers that will modify their car. Find those dealers that are cool with it or ask them upfront about how they feel.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #33
335boosted2Dmax
Banned
Rep

+1

Hydro Locked an Engine by sucking water up my aftermarket CAI from Dinan and everything was fixed under warranty
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #34
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

I've had several warranties voided or coverage denied, most notably on a 2000 C5 Corvette, but also a 2001 Z28, and a 2002 GMC truck. A local friend also had the powertrain warranty canceled on his 2001 Ford Lightning.

We're not talking about your AC system here. Everyone knows that they will have a hard time justifying denying converge on your AC system or power seats due to performance modifications or abuse. Also your method of financing has no impact on the warranty, although modifying a leased car is usually a violation of your lease agreement (but that’s another issue).

In my experience, most of them were voided after they accused me of "abusing" the car. No real proof required. They simply suspect its been modified, perhaps find a little extra rubber or wear on the rear tires, and tell you they won’t cover it. You complain, talk to the service rep, call corporate, and send letters. They just ignore you. Once they void the warranty and flag it in the system you're stuck until you get lawyers involved and it becomes a lose/lose situation for you.

So you got lucky because the service manager was “cool”, because the repairs were cheap enough, or because your modifications didn’t have an effect on the parts being warranted and they didn’t flag you for abusing the car.

On that M3, what exactly did they cover post supercharger? The entire power train warranty (engine, tranny, diff, axles, and related) should have been voided, and then everything else such as bushing would be on a case by case basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
You like to think you know, but you dont. Its cute but you should really stop where youre at. Please enlighten me with this CLAUSE you so speak of.

Case in point:
LEASED my a4 and at the signing, the general manager (who Ive known for years) comes up to me and SUGGESTS I chip it because I wont enjoy the car stock(he knows how Ive modified cars in the past). I do more mods to the car(Chip upgrade w/injectors, exhaust, BOV, shortshifter, sways etc.) and the service dept thinks the car is awesome. 7 Coilpacks need replacing over the past couple years. Could be due to the chipping, could be not...all replaced under warranty. A/C has problems, car is taken apart 3 seperate times to fix until 4th time, whole A/C system is replaced UNDER WARRANTY.

LEASED my M3 and after auto-xing and drag racing for a few seasons (mods include supercharger, suspension, everything else) car is still under warranty for vanos replacement and various suspension bushing replacements.

The dealer CANNOT refuse warranty on anything unless they deem the defect is DIRECTLY affected by the modification. Im so tired of repeating this. Every dealer out there knows they will have some customers that will modify their car. Find those dealers that are cool with it or ask them upfront about how they feel.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #35
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1

Hydro Locked an Engine by sucking water up my aftermarket CAI from Dinan and everything was fixed under warranty
Either super lucky or Dinan covered it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #36
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In my experience, most of them were voided after they accused me of "abusing" the car. No real proof required.
Have you read the Magnusson-Moss act?

Paraphrase(once again):

Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's orginial warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warrany or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under, "what is not covered". Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #37
335boosted2Dmax
Banned
Rep

DINAN didnt cover shit wasnt even involved. People don't realize BMW dealerships make money off of fixing their cars themselves. The whole engine locked up and I ran into a huge puddle at full throttle (obviously not seeing lake michigan in front of me) and obviously water was sucked up through the CAI and just ingulfed the engine in general. Never was even questioned. I had other mods on the car and they told me they could fix the lights for free and stuff if I could bring down the original parts and they would put it in for me.

And for your examples, isn't it ironic they are all American cars that lost their warranty.............hmmmmm..........shitty cars to begin with that don't hold their value..........
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #38
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

I'm very familiar with it. So here is an (extreme) example of what the dealer can do. Say your only mod is K&N filter and you blow up the engine, tranny, rear end, etc. They will claim the extra air flow across the air filter caused the engine to run outside its intended operating parameters and deny coverage. If its the tranny, the extra power caused the tranny to go out. If its something like the maf, o2 sensors, cats, etc they'll claim the air filter let dirt in or its filter oil caused the issue.

Say your seat breaks, its all that extra power slamming you back in the seat.

Or, if they can't find any modificaiton, they will just claim you abused the car.

Remember the Magnusson-Moss act isn’t intended to deal with performance modifications, its intended to deal with people who want to run generic oil filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Have you read the Magnusson-Moss act?

Paraphrase(once again):

Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's orginial warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warrany or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under, "what is not covered". Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #39
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

All I can say is you got lucky, or BMW dealerships are much more liberal with repairing modified cars than other car manufacturers.

Quote:
DINAN didnt cover shit wasnt even involved. People don't realize BMW dealerships make money off of fixing their cars themselves. The whole engine locked up and I ran into a huge puddle at full throttle (obviously not seeing lake michigan in front of me) and obviously water was sucked up through the CAI and just ingulfed the engine in general. Never was even questioned. I had other mods on the car and they told me they could fix the lights for free and stuff if I could bring down the original parts and they would put it in for me.

And for your examples, isn't it ironic they are all American cars that lost their warranty.............hmmmmm..........shitty cars to begin with that don't hold their value..........
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #40
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
I'm very familiar with it. So here is an (extreme) example of what the dealer can do. Say your only mod is K&N filter and you blow up the engine, tranny, rear end, etc. They will claim the extra air flow across the air filter caused the engine to run outside its intended operating parameters and deny coverage. If its the tranny, the extra power caused the tranny to go out. If its something like the maf, o2 sensors, cats, etc they'll claim the air filter let dirt in or its filter oil caused the issue.

Say your seat breaks, its all that extra power slamming you back in the seat.

Or, if they can't find any modificaiton, they will just claim you abused the car.

Remember the Magnusson-Moss act isn’t intended to deal with performance modifications, its intended to deal with people who want to run generic oil filters.
I would also add that BMW titles their warranties as "Limited" and may therefore place requirements on the consumer as a precondition for receiving service. My warranty is clear in when the warranty will not apply:

Quote:
This warranty does not apply to the following:

Modification of the vehicle or installation of any performance accessories or components attached to the vehicle which alters the original engineering and/or operating specifications...
It is important to remember that your warranty is provided by BMWNA, not your dealer.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0