E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Er charge pipe fitment help!

06-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
Gnars
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Er charge pipe fitment help!

So my car is a 07 335i and I ordered the long charge pipe from er that's supposed to be for 09+ but everywhere I've looked everyone says it'll fit the N54. Have the charge pipe on but in order to fit the bolt back in place that holds the charge pipe the whole pipe needs to go down and then it won't fit my intercooler pipe. I have an aftermarket intercooler "Ets 5"" and basically when I get the charge pipe in place to where it needs to be to sit on the throttle body correctly and fit the bolt back in the top of the charge pipe is virtually touching the bottom of the intercooler pipe. What's the issue here? Is the intercooler pipe sitting up to high? I felt the coupler at the bottom of the intercooler pipe and it seems pretty flexible so maybe I can move the pipe down some more, but it's just such a pita to reach that clamp cause it's in such a tight spot. Anyway here's a few pics let me know what you guys think.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
SmellyGreek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue F22 M235i

Garage List
I can tell you that with an ER "long" charge pipe on my 07 with a stock IC, the CP fit but I had to wrangle it a bit to get that bolt back into place. I know some people here leave the bolt uninstalled. Perhaps the combination of the aftermarket IC + aftermarket CP means you have to go without to make the IC coupler - CP connection work?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
Gnars
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyGreek View Post
I can tell you that with an ER "long" charge pipe on my 07 with a stock IC, the CP fit but I had to wrangle it a bit to get that bolt back into place. I know some people here leave the bolt uninstalled. Perhaps the combination of the aftermarket IC + aftermarket CP means you have to go without to make the IC coupler - CP connection work?
From what I've seen and the instructions everything is "supposed to fit perfectly and be able to put the bolt back in. But do you think it'll be okay without the bolt? I mean I don't really think the pipe would move around much since its clamped at one end and connected to the throttle body at the other. How far up does the stock intercooler pipe go? As you can see in my pics the top of my Intercooler pipe is actually touching my radiator hose.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 05:53 AM   #4
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnars View Post
Quote:
From what I've seen and the instructions everything is "supposed to fit perfectly and be able to put the bolt back in. But do you think it'll be okay without the bolt? I mean I don't really think the pipe would move around much since its clamped at one end and connected to the throttle body at the other. How far up does the stock intercooler pipe go? As you can see in my pics the top of my Intercooler pipe is actually touching my radiator hose.
FWIW, I have ets 5" FMIC and ER long Charge pipe. I couldn't get the bolt you're describing connected either. That said, it's been a few years and almost 30k miles w/o issues I'm aware of.

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 1
Gnars4.00
      06-21-2017, 05:59 AM   #5
Gnars
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb335xi View Post
Quote:
Quote:
FWIW, I have ets 5" FMIC and ER long Charge pipe. I couldn't get the bolt you're describing connected either. That said, it's been a few years and almost 30k miles w/o issues I'm aware of.
Does your intercooler pipe sit up as high as mine as well? I definitely feel like it should be lower than it is now.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I have an ETS FMIC and it doesn't fit with the bolt either. It's moot. Just leave it off. I ran both my cars without it.
Appreciate 1
Gnars4.00
      06-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #7
hifidawg09
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 xdrive

Garage List
I have the long ER CP and could not thread the bolt. I think the design is incorrect. But there is no play at all even w/o the bolt.
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
CoffeeBean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640i M-Sport GC

Like they said, just leave the bolt off. Most charge pipes don't have the bracket for it anyway, so you're good. My long ER pipe fits perfectly with the VRSF 7", so it must be the angle the ETS is using.
Appreciate 1
Gnars4.00
      06-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #9
Gnars
Private
Rep

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll leave the bolt off and if the pipe is still lose I'll just use some good old zip ties if needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 10:14 PM   #10
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll leave the bolt off and if the pipe is still lose I'll just use some good old zip ties if needed.
Seriously, it will be fine.. just make sure the o ring at TB is on and in good shape and that all hoses are tightly connected.

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0