E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Fuel Pump Issue or Turbo Lag for e92 335?????

02-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
soma4u
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Fuel Pump Issue or Turbo Lag for e92 335?????

I'll try to make it simple. I'm kinda paranoid with all these fuel pumps failing, so I want to take care of any issues before I enter the Xede world...
This is my first Bimmer, so I don't know if this is normal, but this is what's going on:

-when firing up engine idle is somewhat shaky at times

-until engine is warm (sometimes 10 minutes) I hit the gas and there is no power for a second>then it kicks too hard(cold start issue??)

-when at a full stop(with all traction control mechanisms turned off) in first gear, I floor it and there is a second of hesitation, where there is a little power, but not much (i think turbo lag but not sure) and then it kicks like it should

I received my car at the end of November, so cold start issue should be taken care of but...

Any input to this matter is much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
revah2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

DO NOT put BP gas in your 335i.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by revah2 View Post
DO NOT put BP gas in your 335i.
why?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
revah2
Lieutenant
Rep

Before going to moroso about 2 months back i stoppped for the first time and put BP gas in my car. The night went well, drove about an hour and a half up to Moroso and did 1/4 runs the entire night. On my way back home (the best part), everyone from the track was messing around/racing on the freeway and the streets coming out of moroso. When i finally get within 10 miles of my house i meet a wrx sti. Now, the car had been running pretty hard for about an hour ride on the way back, but hey, im in an "ultimate driving machine" So we do a 10 mile an hr role and shifting into 3rd i floor it and my car just goes haywire. After flooring it when shifting into third, my foot was full throttle, i heard the engine screaming , but the car wasnt moving. So i quickly let go of the gas, and the RPMs start flying up erradically by themselves! I quickly put it into neutral and roll to the next light. The light goes green, i put it inot first and the car starts rumbling growling, shaking getting out of first. I had to give much more gas than usual and to get the car moving. I go home turn it off and dot touch it for a day. A day later i turn my car on and it started doing it again (still had bp gas in my). I didnt no wth was wrong so i go home, turn it off for 2 days and 2 days later i bring it on the road fill up my tank, with **shell* and everything is completly fine. I never put bp gas again and the problem never happened again. Ive put 4k miles on the car since that happened. Now it could of been a number of things but for some reason im attributing it to BP gas, after reading other bimmerforums, and finding out that ppl had their fuel pumps replaced. One guy on bimmerfest.com had the same problem, so i PMd him asking him what gas he used, he told me BP. Ofcourse this is speculation but then again could freud scientifically prove the unconscious, ego, ID, and half the things he came up with? I have reason to believe its BP

Here are some other ppl w/ bad bp experinces: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff2189.htm

It could have been just the station, or even something else who knows. All i know is i dont put bp gas in ym car since then and all goes well
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #5
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

^ thanks for the tip

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma4u View Post
I'll try to make it simple. I'm kinda paranoid with all these fuel pumps failing, so I want to take care of any issues before I enter the Xede world...
This is my first Bimmer, so I don't know if this is normal, but this is what's going on:

-when firing up engine idle is somewhat shaky at times

-until engine is warm (sometimes 10 minutes) I hit the gas and there is no power for a second>then it kicks too hard(cold start issue??)

-when at a full stop(with all traction control mechanisms turned off) in first gear, I floor it and there is a second of hesitation, where there is a little power, but not much (i think turbo lag but not sure) and then it kicks like it should

I received my car at the end of November, so cold start issue should be taken care of but...

Any input to this matter is much appreciated!
No one can say for sure without testing your fuel pump; but I think if you take off on a cold engine these issues aren't unusual. In my car in the dead of winter here I sometimes get a little shudder from 1st when it's really cold out (and the car isn't warm). My G35's were the same way; it's the transmission fluid being cold afaik. If it gets worse your best bet is to take it in.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #7
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

As far as the hesitation you feel when you floor it, its not turbo lag. Its the drive-by-wire throttle. It's not mechanical like it used to be, so throttle response is always ever-so-slightly delayed
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #8
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
As far as the hesitation you feel when you floor it, its not turbo lag. Its the drive-by-wire throttle. It's not mechanical like it used to be, so throttle response is always ever-so-slightly delayed
probably also helps if you drive in S or M mod too

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 01:06 AM   #9
-=SPECTRE=-
Enlisted Member
Niger
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

PROTIP: The gasoline at your local stations all probably came from the same fuel jobber's truck.
      02-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

That is true. As long as the same octane rating.
      02-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #11
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Then can you guys (last two posters) tell me why in every car I've ever owned, I can feel a noticable lack of power when using equal octane BP fuels, and have registered as much as a 4mpg loss of fuel economy?

BP fuels may come from the same source as Shell, Chevron, etc.. but how it gets treated afterwards is what makes the difference. Additives, alcohol content, ehtanol content, etc... It makes a BIG difference.

Stay away from Arco, and all other BP fuel stations. It's bad news for your car.

On a side note:

I'm a BMW technician. I'm seen my fair share of cars come in with a failed fuel system in one way or another. I've seen cars come in that had to have the complete fuel system REPLACED. Tank, pump, lines, injectors. Why? because they all corroded. When asked what kind of fuel these customers used, it is ALWAYS: "Arco... Rotten Robbie... Gas4Less.... CostCo" etc.... CHEAP GAS kills your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
revah2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt View Post
Then can you guys (last two posters) tell me why in every car I've ever owned, I can feel a noticable lack of power when using equal octane BP fuels, and have registered as much as a 4mpg loss of fuel economy?

BP fuels may come from the same source as Shell, Chevron, etc.. but how it gets treated afterwards is what makes the difference. Additives, alcohol content, ehtanol content, etc... It makes a BIG difference.

Stay away from Arco, and all other BP fuel stations. It's bad news for your car.

On a side note:

I'm a BMW technician. I'm seen my fair share of cars come in with a failed fuel system in one way or another. I've seen cars come in that had to have the complete fuel system REPLACED. Tank, pump, lines, injectors. Why? because they all corroded. When asked what kind of fuel these customers used, it is ALWAYS: "Arco... Rotten Robbie... Gas4Less.... CostCo" etc.... CHEAP GAS kills your car.
And i'd take it from this guy, who, if at all, has more credentials as a BMW technician then i do when i simply speculate about how shitty bp fuels are. And the funny thing is, right after i posted on this thread i turned my TV on and flip the channels only to find my self stumble upon a BP commercial ....lol> the best part is in the commercial they were saying how they are using things like beets and corn as additives to there fuels to "reduce the emission of greenhouse gases" or some crap like that. Oh no wonder my car spazed...... i put fucking corn oil in it!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #13
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Ive got my 335i coupe in for a check engine light that they have decided is because of a bad fuel pump that sets the warning off anytime i rev the car about 4000RPM...the part is on priority and hopefully i will have it back soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #14
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=SPECTRE=- View Post
PROTIP: The gasoline at your local stations all probably came from the same fuel jobber's truck.
Noobtip: all branded stations in our neighbourhood have branded trucks (same brand as the station-who would have guessed) with same-brand unformed drivers putting gas into the tanks. I guess our jobbers are quick change artists/impersonators
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #15
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

I don't know anything about octanes, gas, ethanol, etc; I do know my brother in law is a petroleum engineer, and says to go to Sunoco, Shell, Chevron, etc, so I do. It's literally a buck a fill more.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 12:13 PM   #16
revah2
Lieutenant
Rep

nice, i go to shell n sunoco now . ask him waht he thinks of BP
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #17
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Whatever you do, dont get obsessed with gas stations and gas brands. At the end it is the same gasoline in all gas stations, and you wont be getting a better fuel if you go to Shell or QTrip (the so called FirstTier gas stations)
The only smart thing to do is to make sure you always put 91 or 93 octane in you BMW.
      02-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #18
adrian8806
Enter Custom User Title Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bad Luck 9-3

It's only Mobil for me, love that stuff...even the smell...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 01:52 AM   #19
ahnh77
chichen
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 325xi

hmm...identical thing happened to me awhile back in 1.8t vw....i did a day of hard driving...1/4 mile runs....lead footed driving on the freeway back home...and after i exited the freeway...noticed a prelude making "pssh" noises...turbo charged prelude..so..we lined up at the red...and raced down the road.......and my car started going crazy....the rpm gage was bouncing up and down on it's own....and after i slowed down...i got a flashing CEL....and the car was just grumbling and shakey...i had almost no torque..had to push the gas down to actually get moving...made it home going about 10 to 25mph...

i didn't want to start the engine again after getting into the garage...next day..i had the car towed to the dealer....i got a call...telling me they started the car with no problem...no cel...nothing...told me the car was fine...i 'fessed up and told them what i did earlier that day and after....the mechanic told me that i probably pushed the car too hard and probably caused one of the sensors to temporary malfunction...mafs...or it could have been the ignition control unit....the dealer was cool..and eventhough i was past my warranty period by few thousand miles...as a precaution they replaced my mafs...and the icu....and they also replaced the airbag sensor (no idea why they did that...but they did)....all free under warranty..they just did it because they liked what i did with my car....very mod friendly dealer...

from what you described...it does sound like you caused one of your sensors to detect something was wrong with the car...and putting the car in "limp mode"...barely any power, just enough to drive to safety...after this...i did occassional hard driving..but never for an entire day of drag racing combined with hard driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by revah2 View Post
Before going to moroso about 2 months back i stoppped for the first time and put BP gas in my car. The night went well, drove about an hour and a half up to Moroso and did 1/4 runs the entire night. On my way back home (the best part), everyone from the track was messing around/racing on the freeway and the streets coming out of moroso. When i finally get within 10 miles of my house i meet a wrx sti. Now, the car had been running pretty hard for about an hour ride on the way back, but hey, im in an "ultimate driving machine" So we do a 10 mile an hr role and shifting into 3rd i floor it and my car just goes haywire. After flooring it when shifting into third, my foot was full throttle, i heard the engine screaming , but the car wasnt moving. So i quickly let go of the gas, and the RPMs start flying up erradically by themselves! I quickly put it into neutral and roll to the next light. The light goes green, i put it inot first and the car starts rumbling growling, shaking getting out of first. I had to give much more gas than usual and to get the car moving. I go home turn it off and dot touch it for a day. A day later i turn my car on and it started doing it again (still had bp gas in my). I didnt no wth was wrong so i go home, turn it off for 2 days and 2 days later i bring it on the road fill up my tank, with **shell* and everything is completly fine. I never put bp gas again and the problem never happened again. Ive put 4k miles on the car since that happened. Now it could of been a number of things but for some reason im attributing it to BP gas, after reading other bimmerforums, and finding out that ppl had their fuel pumps replaced. One guy on bimmerfest.com had the same problem, so i PMd him asking him what gas he used, he told me BP. Ofcourse this is speculation but then again could freud scientifically prove the unconscious, ego, ID, and half the things he came up with? I have reason to believe its BP

Here are some other ppl w/ bad bp experinces: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff2189.htm

It could have been just the station, or even something else who knows. All i know is i dont put bp gas in ym car since then and all goes well
      03-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #20
ulises 335i
these cars waste alot of fucking gas
Rep
Drives: 335i montego blue

what is bp gas... and does higher octane gas mess up the engine?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 01:33 AM   #21
Fuukk_Mercedes
335i coupe, Vishnu PROcede, 19" iForged, Miltek ex
United_States
Rep
Drives: black 335i coupe, ZSP,ZPP, ZCA

I only pump Shell V-Power 91 and Chevron Supreme 91, who are some of the BP companies? Mobil, Arco, 76? who? I never ever pump or ever have pumped anyting but the highest octane rated gas ( why would you pump anything less, to save like what 5-10 bucks?) But i still have had those full throttle issues where the car feels jerky or like theres no gas......ahh man these new 335i's are having there share of fucking problems man....i mean i only have 1,200 miles on mine and already those throttle issues and the "engine malfunction! Reduced power!" warning light come on twice now......
Sapphire Black 335i coupe/ Saddle Brown leather/Aluminum trim-Sport package,Paddle shifters, Premium package, navigation, comfort access,PDC, V1, Vishnu PROcede, 19" flat black faced iForged wheels, Milltek exhuast, side markers painted, %25tint
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #22
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=SPECTRE=- View Post
This is true, anyone who know anything about the gas business will tell you that all gas is the same, the refineries make gas to published standards then the gas is pumped to distribution points around the country all sharing the same pipeline. Gas is only separated by grades in the pipelines with what they call a "pig." Once the gas gets to its destination there is no way to know if it was BP, Exxon or Shell or whomever gas. It is all the same at the distribution point this is what is called buying gas off the rack.

What makes BP or Exxon or Shell gas is the additives that are added at the time the gas is put in the tanker truck. Not to say you can not get a bad batch of gas from a dealer or that water or something else did not get mixed in. This does happen and you hear about it all the time, I am just not sure you can claim it is one company that has all the problems.

Here is something worth while reading www.toptiergas.com
Appreciate 0