E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > CIC Retrofit: A Few Questions

01-14-2019, 08:46 AM   #1
Warsteiner
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d

CIC Retrofit: A Few Questions

Hi all,

I have a few questions about retrofitting a CIC system into my 2006 320d. The car already has a CCC setup from new (Professional Navigation), but it failed shortly before Christmas and I'm finally annoyed enough at not having a radio to want to fix it.

I know of a CIC setup I could buy, but it does not include the newer control knob, the cables, the lower fascia, or the coding. I can live without the knob because apparently the older type works anyway.

What cables do I need, and where should I be buying them from? And who am I best asking to perform the coding? Alternatively, are there any coding tutorials that might allow me to do this myself? Looking on YouTube I've seen people complete the install process but not very many detailed videos on coding.

I know emulators exist but I don't know if they might save the bother of coding, or if they make the process messier in other ways. I just want to be able to play music via aux, listen to the radio, and maybe get navigation.

No matter what route I take it looks like it's going to cost £££, so rather than trying to fix a CCC with its inherent flaws I'm considering going down this route instead.

I'm inexperienced with BMWs - this is my first - so I may have follow up questions. Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
KSP1
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

I have the exact same issues!! Stupid CCC unit. I’ve seen that Cluster Repairs UK do repair the units, had a look on their websites and repairs start from £70
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:55 AM   #3
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

It's pretty easy to be honest.

This is a good diy:

https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...etrofit.43578/

Have a think if you want to also install a combox.

That guide also doesn't include ENET wiring to the OBD port. It's no necessary but is the OEM way.

Regarding activation. If the CIC is running the latest firmware then you can use CIC Patcher. Otherwise you may consider an emulator.

Coding is simple also.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 06:15 AM   #4
KSP1
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

What does the ENET wiring do mate?

Also do you have any recommendations for the coding
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #5
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSP1 View Post
What does the ENET wiring do mate?

Also do you have any recommendations for the coding
The ENET wiring to OBD is the factory way. It allows enet communication to the CIC via an ICOM or cheap enet cable.

You don't have to do this. However you will need access to the CIC with ENET if you want to use CIC Patcher for activation. Rather than the emulator route. It can be done with a simple CAT5 cable however, run from CIC to the glove box. It's the correct way however.

I can do the coding for you. I do coding free for forum members. You are welcome to make a donation which I'll send to charity however.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #6
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
You don't have to do this. However you will need access to the CIC with ENET if you want to use CIC Patcher for activation. Rather than the emulator route. It can be done with a simple CAT5 cable however, run from CIC to the glove box. It's the correct way however.
Do you have or know where i can find info on how to do this?
I have retrofitted CIC and trying to wire up for enet so I can use the patcher. But haven't found anyone mentioning how to actually wire it up, just that it needs to be done.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:49 AM   #7
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

2 ways:

1. Factory method - wire from CIC to OBD2 port

2. Get an Ethernet cable, cut one end off and wire it to the CIC. Keep other end tucked into glove box and plug directly into LAN port on laptop. Or blank OBD2 port.

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/akti...hmentId=698293
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 07:56 PM   #8
HerbP
Rep
Drives: 645, 750

Is it possible to get in the CIC thru the OBD2 port. or use an ICOM so I can complete my retrofit. I have been working on this for 10 months, & had one problem after another. I have tried using the patcher, but I keep running into problems every time I check the FSC. I can read & save the FSC, but not check it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 03:08 AM   #9
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Is it possible to get in the CIC thru the OBD2 port. or use an ICOM so I can complete my retrofit. I have been working on this for 10 months, & had one problem after another. I have tried using the patcher, but I keep running into problems every time I check the FSC. I can read & save the FSC, but not check it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
So you have patched already and trying to get 1b.hex file? Or are you having issues activation FSC's do you have FSTool_v20211?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 12:42 PM   #10
HerbP
Rep

I have tried to patch with swpatcher, & think I got the 1b file I needed. I can read the FSC, but I can not connect with ecu to check the FSC. I am looking to see if I can enter the CIC thru the OBD2 port, & get to the data persistency files to see if that will work?

FSTools fail when checking anything, or trying to get anything. This make sme think that I can't access the ecu?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 01:08 PM   #11
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Search for “cheap and easy 1B” here.

You should be able to get to the CIC via the above however this may not work for retrofits.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 03:22 PM   #12
HerbP
Rep

Thanks,

I will give that a try. I tried SWPatcher & HU Tools again earlier, & the USB would not read either. I did get the IP address out of the CICR file, but I don't know how to use the FTP program to get to the data persistency files?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 08:08 PM   #13
HerbP
Rep

Just to confirm my C1A coding is correct. NCS allows me to choose C1A, & it codes C1A. Later I come back to check the coding, & C09 shows up where you choose the firmware, but the bottom of the page shows C1A?

Are the multiple modules that I need to code to get the C1A to show up correctly, as this might be my problem? Every other module I have coded comes up as I choose it, why is the C1A not showing up correctly. Could there be something in the VO that is causing this problem, or what might be my problem. I have read & tried everything to get the 1B file, to use a patch. FSTools is loaded correctly, & DrGini is also having the safe problem?

Help Please!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 08:42 PM   #14
HerbP
Rep

Can anyone give me a screenshot of the NCSExpert page showing the C1A as the chosen firmware, with the FO options for me to double check. This would help me to verify if all of my settings are correct?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 04:42 AM   #15
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can anyone give me a screenshot of the NCSExpert page showing the C1A as the chosen firmware, with the FO options for me to double check. This would help me to verify if all of my settings are correct?

Thanks!
Shows here what options are needed etc.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBfwB4Z9HPA
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 08:23 PM   #16
HerbP
Rep

I have got all of that, just wanted see the NCS page after C1A was coded. Mine will take C1A, & says it updated to CIA. After I go back out of NCS, it will go back to C09. If I could see the page after it took the C1A, I could compare the screen to mine. It could be the build date I entered, but for some reason C1A will not stay coded?

The ILevel is to the last for the E Series model, & the Programing is to the daten of v71. The USB drive will connect with the HDD both ways, but I am getting denied access when trying to patch the CIC. I am not really sure why it is denying me access.

Is there any way I can access the data persistency files to viginize the CIC thru an ICOM, or Enet cable? Being a 2005 model, I don't think the Enet cable will work. Looking at the SSP files for the CIC, the ICOM should be connected thru the OBD port, to the correct wires I think. I am not sure how to run Putty to access the CIC?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 02:14 AM   #17
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

You can't use NCS to go from C09 to C1A. That is the firmware and needs to be flashed with winkfp using an ICOM
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 07:01 AM   #18
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have got all of that, just wanted see the NCS page after C1A was coded. Mine will take C1A, & says it updated to CIA. After I go back out of NCS, it will go back to C09. If I could see the page after it took the C1A, I could compare the screen to mine. It could be the build date I entered, but for some reason C1A will not stay coded?

The ILevel is to the last for the E Series model, & the Programing is to the daten of v71. The USB drive will connect with the HDD both ways, but I am getting denied access when trying to patch the CIC. I am not really sure why it is denying me access.

Is there any way I can access the data persistency files to viginize the CIC thru an ICOM, or Enet cable? Being a 2005 model, I don't think the Enet cable will work. Looking at the SSP files for the CIC, the ICOM should be connected thru the OBD port, to the correct wires I think. I am not sure how to run Putty to access the CIC?

Thanks
NCS will only show correct CIC firmware only after you read it.

Not sure what your up to or whats been done so far.

Hopefully this info will help, as it helped me:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...03&postcount=3

Please read all links here> https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...&postcount=283
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 12:26 PM   #19
HerbP
Rep

My I Level is 16-11-500, which should be the last I Level for an E Series car. I have flashed the CIC with WINKFP daten files v71, which should be the latest daten files. I have been trying to use NCS to execute C1A, are you saying I need to read it 1st, this could be the problem if that is what you are saying? I was trying to update the CAS to a different firmware, but that has not worked either.

The FSTools will not work until I can access the CIC security in some manner. I think this has something to do with the vin number between the CAS & CIC, based on a post I read the other night?

The build date of the CIC was from a 02/2010 E63 donor car, with the correct firmware for the USB port.

I am tried the above methods, except a USB to either net adapter thru the USB port. I need to see if I can find one of my old USB to Ethernet adapters.

Last edited by HerbP; 10-08-2023 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 02:32 PM   #20
Beemermike
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i SE N53

Garage List
For figuring out the wiring, BMW's ISTA software is your best friend. It contains all the wiring diagrams for all the connectors, and I've personally used it on a retrofit of electric heated seats into my E92. The diagrams may look a bit intimidating at first, but they are actually very easy to understand and ISTA has a help page dedicated to reading the diagrams. ISTA is simple to obtain, plenty of threads from this and other BMW forums, and easy to install too.

The diagrams will also provide you with the correct wire sizing and colour coding, I sourced all my cables from LAPP Cables sold by TME.eu component distributor, LAPP sells all the right stuff in terms of wire cross section and colour coding. The wires then need to be crimped with contacts that go into the connectors, the contacts I bought directly from the BMW parts department (I used realoem to determine which ones I need), and for crimping, I've purchased the PAD-12 crimping tool, but make sure that you purchase the right one for the right contact sizes that you will use in your retrofit.

From what I recall when I researched about the CIC retrofit myself, all that is required for coding is adjusting your Vehicle Order to include the relevant option for CIC and removing the existing option for CCC radio. This is done using NCSExpert. Head over to the BMW Coding Forum as they have DIY PDF guides on how to code your car, including changing the Vehicle Order. Also, the CIC display is HD unlike the CCC, which means you will require to purchase the correct HD cable that runs from your head unit to the display - I don't think that you will be able to make this cable up yourself, but could be wrong.

Finally, there is a fantastic series on YouTube from a chap that retrofitted a heated steering wheel into his E92 M3, he describes the whole process in detail - including understanding ISTA diagrams, crimping the connectors etc. The link for the playlist is here

I hope some of the above info helps, there is a steep learning curve but the work is incredibly satisfying once you get everything right!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 09:51 PM   #21
HerbP
Rep

I suspect that the problem is in coding something out of the VO for the CCC. I have gone over the build list, & I have not found one. I have found that removing 609 from the CAS after changing the VO, will remove the CCC from ISTA D. All of the wiring & the CIC is up & running, I just can't get something in the Nav to give me access to the ECU.

Everything is programmed & coded based on others I have compared with. There is just something blocking me from accessing the internal ECU that has the old vin number in it. I tried playing around with changing the coding on the CAS, as it has to match the same coding version as the CIC. It is strange that I can only enter C09 which I don't want, or C1A which I do want. If I try to put C16 in the coding, it will not even accept it. I could program the C16 to work, but I still could not gain access to the Nav system to update the maps. I got DrGini to let me to the Nav menu for a day, but I could never get the correct code to activate the Nav menu. C1A just want stay coded for some unknown reason?

If I was to clone a hard drive from a different CIC, how is that going to allow me to change the vin number once I get the HDD back in the unit?

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 10:47 PM   #22
HerbP
Rep

Could my factory I Level have anything to do with the C1A update, not the current I Level? I just saw this is another post?

Thanks
Appreciate 0