E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Buyer Beware - Murray Motors 'Certified Plus Gold' package

03-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
zirc
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

Buyer Beware - Murray Motors 'Certified Plus Gold' package

Hi all, I didn't see any information on this when I decided to purchase it, so after 4 years I thought I would post my feedback. This isn't against Murray at all, but a service they sell called "Certified Plus Gold".

In a nutshell, it's sold as a Door Ding and/or Wheel Repair - Door Ding, Alloy Wheel , Sprayless scratch, and interior repair for leather/cloth seats.

Sounded great at the time, and even now sounds good depending on how you take care of your car. The issue is that the company that authorizes the work makes any dealings miserable - the process usually goes something like this:

1) You call a number for authorization, they put you through to another party
2) That other party isn't available and you have to call back and start over, or leave a message for them to call back which they usually do not
3) You reach that other party and then they connect you with ANOTHER party or business to do the work
3) At this point, they usually do not contact you back - weeks will go by, and if you do not remember to contact them again, nothing moves forward (this happened to me twice, I had to keep calling/bugging them to move forward).
4) At this point if you can get someone to finally call you back, you have to work with them to schedule the repair
5) Same point as #3, they work with their schedules, and/or usually ANOTHER party or someone they contract with to do the work - I've called someone 3-4 times about repairing my wheels and still have not heard back

All in all, the $700 package price may give a "peace of mind", but I was only able to use it once, to successfully fix one wheel, I'd definitely not do it again. I was foolish to have purchased it in the first place, which is no fault except my own, and I know folks will advise to always stay away from those last minute dealer offered incentives, but thought I'd still post this for reference.

Any others have experience with this? Any questions?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
Sorry to hear about your poor experience with the service. Have you voiced your concern directly to Murray? Not that they could really help with your case, but at least to let them know the problems you're having.

$700 seems excessive for that package! IMO, it seems like a bad idea to pay for this coverage anyway. All of the services the package covers are fairly cheap and chances are you won't need to use all of them in your lifetime of ownership of the car. I see you learned that. Did you get the retail price on how much that wheel fix would have cost you out of pocket?
      03-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
zirc
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
Sorry to hear about your poor experience with the service. Have you voiced your concern directly to Murray? Not that they could really help with your case, but at least to let them know the problems you're having.

$700 seems excessive for that package! IMO, it seems like a bad idea to pay for this coverage anyway. All of the services the package covers are fairly cheap and chances are you won't need to use all of them in your lifetime of ownership of the car. I see you learned that. Did you get the retail price on how much that wheel fix would have cost you out of pocket?
Hey Patrick, thanks for the reply, I did not - in hindsight I probably should have, but I was honestly more annoyed trying to have to follow through with utilizing the service and complaining to them.

Agreed it was a bad decision, it was my first brand new car purchase, sounded like a good idea at the time, and I couldn't find much information on it, hence this post! Now I am experienced and know better!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #4
J3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp smb

Garage List
2011 335i xdrive  [10.00]
I've had multiple awful experiences with murray. Those guys simply can't be trusted.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3 View Post
I've had multiple awful experiences with murray. Those guys simply can't be trusted.
+1 I have had too many headaches with Murray and they will not do or offer anything to fix their mistakes Their staff is incompetent and contradict each other in what they say, and their communication is extremely poor
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
J3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp smb

Garage List
2011 335i xdrive  [10.00]
^^ words of truth. Although Schomp is pretty world class. Those guys are awesome. I've had both positive sales and service experiences with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 05:33 PM   #7
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Such a bummer that sonic automotive bought Murray. The dealership was great throughout my BMW ownership. They had great sales and service folks and all I hear from everyone these days is how horrible it is. So unfortunate.

Schomp is great as well as Winslow in the springs, we even traveled to colo. springs to buy my wife's car. Primarily because they had the exact car she wanted and also I heard good things about them which were true. Annoying about Murray tho, we live 10 minutes away so service would obviously be easy if we were invested in going there.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 335i xDrive

Schomp has done pretty well with me from previous cars, including a lemon that I got, they covered some that BMW wouldn't when the problem wasn't resolved. Right now with Murray, the managers have some of the worst communication and it is extremely frustrating. I was in to try to fix the problems that they created, and more "pop" up. My door panel is falling off, my interior was a mess, and the trim below the door is broken, and now on top of that, I was supposed to be meeting with the GM and now he is avoiding my calls. Does anyone know who if there is a regional manager or director for BMW here in our region besides going to the endless calls to BMW NA?
Appreciate 0