E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Weird non Comfort Access key fob battery error

08-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Weird non Comfort Access key fob battery error

I hope someone can explain what happened here, but this past weekend something very strange happened. I decided to use my secondary key fob which hadn't been used for a few months (I have always cycled them like this), but after I unlocked the car and inserted the key, I am greeted by a low battery error message. I then took the car for a 30 minute drive in the hopes that the error would go away if it is simply a case of the key fob battery being a bit low. This unfortunately didn't happen, and instead it persisted.

The following day I took the car for a long drive or approximately an hour and a half, and this didn't help either. This is where it gets strange - this afternoon I took both keys with me again, but instead of using the bad key, I put the good key in, and same problem! So now it's not actually the key fob, unless both failed at the same time, highly doubtful. Well, I took the car for a drive with the bad key since I had to go for a drive anyway, and on the way back I decided to stop and see what happens if I park the car and lock, unlock etc. So I did just that, I stopped, switched the engine off, removed the key fob, then without getting out of the car, just unlocked and then locked the car - sat still and waited about 30 seconds, then unlocked and opened and closed the driver's door.

Now this is where it gets interesting - put the bad key fob back in, no error! Remove and put the good key fob in, no error! So what on earth was going on here?! I don't drive the car daily, and I have been battling with an intermittent battery drain issue for quite a while now, so the car is always parked in my garage with the bonnet (hood) open and therefore the car is never locked and alarm never set. Could this have caused some confusion when the secondary key was all of a sudden being used? I am going to keep an eye on this to see if it reoccurs though.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 06:40 PM   #2
RLe92335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i AWD

Garage List
2010 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
I hope someone can explain what happened here, but this past weekend something very strange happened. I decided to use my secondary key fob which hadn't been used for a few months (I have always cycled them like this), but after I unlocked the car and inserted the key, I am greeted by a low battery error message. I then took the car for a 30 minute drive in the hopes that the error would go away if it is simply a case of the key fob battery being a bit low. This unfortunately didn't happen, and instead it persisted.

The following day I took the car for a long drive or approximately an hour and a half, and this didn't help either. This is where it gets strange - this afternoon I took both keys with me again, but instead of using the bad key, I put the good key in, and same problem! So now it's not actually the key fob, unless both failed at the same time, highly doubtful. Well, I took the car for a drive with the bad key since I had to go for a drive anyway, and on the way back I decided to stop and see what happens if I park the car and lock, unlock etc. So I did just that, I stopped, switched the engine off, removed the key fob, then without getting out of the car, just unlocked and then locked the car - sat still and waited about 30 seconds, then unlocked and opened and closed the driver's door.

Now this is where it gets interesting - put the bad key fob back in, no error! Remove and put the good key fob in, no error! So what on earth was going on here?! I don't drive the car daily, and I have been battling with an intermittent battery drain issue for quite a while now, so the car is always parked in my garage with the bonnet (hood) open and therefore the car is never locked and alarm never set. Could this have caused some confusion when the secondary key was all of a sudden being used? I am going to keep an eye on this to see if it reoccurs though.
I recently had a similar mystery with my two fobs. Couldn't make any sense of it or consistently replicate. Not sure if you tried this already but I just got a new battery on both fobs and all is well now. Doesn't really solve your mystery but it's a pretty cheap shot in the dark.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLe92335 View Post
I recently had a similar mystery with my two fobs. Couldn't make any sense of it or consistently replicate. Not sure if you tried this already but I just got a new battery on both fobs and all is well now. Doesn't really solve your mystery but it's a pretty cheap shot in the dark.
Can't replace the batteries on mine, not unless you break it open (not comfort access type key fob) and order the proper replacement rechargeable battery that has to be soldered in place. I wasn't too concerned about the error at first because regardless, the key fob worked in terms of unlocking and locking, and I was able to start the car and drive it, so it seemed like it could just be a case of the key needing a charge. But when the error didn't go out after a few good drives I obviously became concerned. When the currently used key gave the same error, then I knew something else was going on here.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Appreciate 1
      08-15-2017, 06:16 PM   #5
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
LOL, yes, seen this vid on most of the threads that I have read over the past few days.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 07:27 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Anybody know how to enable third party hosting?
On this board.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 07:20 AM   #7
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Anybody know how to enable third party hosting?
On this board.
Well, not using photobucket anymore - they've stopped allowing pics to be posted on 3rd party sites. Oh well, guess I won't be using photobucket in future...

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #8
KROOKEDking420
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 coupe

I had the same problem with my KEY FOB....

I had the same issue with mine about 2 yrs ago and it led to a shit show of events........the keyfob said it was dead(I only have 1) and I don't have Comfort Access so I searched and searched online for a video on what to do then I found some dumbass Russian dude who made a fake video about replacing the non CA FOB battery and I didn't know it was bullshit until after I did the breakin of the back cover on the FOB so I glue my cover back on and try to start my car and everything works fine except the battery warnin light for the DEAD FOB AT this point I figured OK im dumb but I only broke the cover NO BIG DEAL RIGHT???? yea then the real shit show started I go to pick up my cousin at his work at 3am and I pull into the parkin spot and shut the car off..........my cuz gets in and I go to start the car and NOTHIN....NOTHIN AT ALL!!!! Do u know how hard it is to get ahold of a tow/auto club @ 3am??? yea so I waited 4 hours for these fools to get me WHAT I find out while waitin for them to pick me up was the IGNITION was dead.....the STEERING WHEEL was locked turned to 1 side ..... LOOONNNNGGG STOOORRRY SHORT------ I found out after that theres a issue with the steering column and ignition lockin due to an issue with the CAS system I went to BMW to find out what they would charge for the repair and I was blown away when they told me they wanted $2500 bucks for replacement of the whole steerin column YEA EFFF THAT !!!!! so I found a few great guys on this forum and I got someone out in Poland to remote access my cars ECU via the OBD port and was able to restore the factory CAS settings....for $55 bucks !!!! unbelievable that the stealer ships can do this to their customers I HOPE THIS ISNT WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU!!
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KROOKEDking420 View Post
I had the same issue with mine about 2 yrs ago and it led to a shit show of events........the keyfob said it was dead(I only have 1) and I don't have Comfort Access so I searched and searched online for a video on what to do then I found some dumbass Russian dude who made a fake video about replacing the non CA FOB battery and I didn't know it was bullshit until after I did the breakin of the back cover on the FOB so I glue my cover back on and try to start my car and everything works fine except the battery warnin light for the DEAD FOB AT this point I figured OK im dumb but I only broke the cover NO BIG DEAL RIGHT???? yea then the real shit show started I go to pick up my cousin at his work at 3am and I pull into the parkin spot and shut the car off..........my cuz gets in and I go to start the car and NOTHIN....NOTHIN AT ALL!!!! Do u know how hard it is to get ahold of a tow/auto club @ 3am??? yea so I waited 4 hours for these fools to get me WHAT I find out while waitin for them to pick me up was the IGNITION was dead.....the STEERING WHEEL was locked turned to 1 side ..... LOOONNNNGGG STOOORRRY SHORT------ I found out after that theres a issue with the steering column and ignition lockin due to an issue with the CAS system I went to BMW to find out what they would charge for the repair and I was blown away when they told me they wanted $2500 bucks for replacement of the whole steerin column YEA EFFF THAT !!!!! so I found a few great guys on this forum and I got someone out in Poland to remote access my cars ECU via the OBD port and was able to restore the factory CAS settings....for $55 bucks !!!! unbelievable that the stealer ships can do this to their customers I HOPE THIS ISNT WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU!!
That is scary!! And it does have me concerned for the simple reason that I have been getting those yellow steering lock errors on occasions when my car's battery is a bit low (battling with an ongoing and intermittent battery drain issue). Back in 2012 when the car went in for its last motorplan covered service, they had to update software to correct a CAS error which back then was causing this same steering lock error to pop-up every now and again. So if they now say to me that the entire steering column has to be replaced, I wonder what their answer would be when I ask them why it wasn't then replaced back in 2012, and it was "fixed" with a software update... Mechanical failures being fixed with software, wow. And yes, I am dreading the day something goes wrong that prevents the steering lock from releasing and potentially trapping the car where it stands - suck a stupid system actually.

I am hoping this was just a random issue caused by the secondary key having not been used for a while. Will update after I have driven the car a few more times without further issue.

Appreciate 0