E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Rears at all four corners?

06-08-2007, 09:40 PM   #23
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujo View Post
Lahbstahs ?

Guess us jamokes up in Anndovah ahhh retahded.
What do ya want from a dumb Masshole, huh ?

I tink I dated that same HO from Reveeah.
The one with the huge Hayah (hair).

Got some wicked pissah subs over at Kelly's Roast Beef.

We were just home and went ovah to Quincy Mahket for some lunch and some Beeahs.

You like apples ? I got her numbah, how bout dem Apples !!

!
This shit is so hard to read LOL, how the fuck do ya'll talk that way and understand a damn thing youre saying
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 11:11 AM   #24
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
The non-sport 335i has smaller front brakes so it will make a difference. Is there anyone near you with a sport package car than can test fit your wheel on their car? That would be extremetly helpful in determining if the LTW5 17" fits the larger brakes. Thanks. With the stock struts, you will never have an issuse with spring/perch contact. That is one advantage to stock design struts, including Koni, Bilstein and the upcoming Dinan struts. How is your tire wear with stock camber at about -1 degree?
I think you may be incorrect about the brakes being a different size, based on sport/non-sport. Both BMW's website, and realoem state that the 335 gets same brakes for sport vs non-sport.

Besides, unless you find somebody willing to drive to my house and change their wheels on their car with my wheels off of my car, that owns a 335 sport, well.... you get the picture. That's highly unlikely to happen.

I'm holding off on picture taking and wheel swapping for now. It doesn't seem it will help you, as you think you have bigger brakes, and my stock struts differ from your setup. Saves me some time.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #25
kujo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
This shit is so hard to read LOL, how the fuck do ya'll talk that way and understand a damn thing youre saying
What, ahh yooz some kindah Tahd ur sumthin ?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 06:28 PM   #26
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lni View Post
I think you may be incorrect about the brakes being a different size, based on sport/non-sport. Both BMW's website, and realoem state that the 335 gets same brakes for sport vs non-sport.

Besides, unless you find somebody willing to drive to my house and change their wheels on their car with my wheels off of my car, that owns a 335 sport, well.... you get the picture. That's highly unlikely to happen.

I'm holding off on picture taking and wheel swapping for now. It doesn't seem it will help you, as you think you have bigger brakes, and my stock struts differ from your setup. Saves me some time.
It would still be very helpful for anyone else that ever visits this web site for you to post the pics when you get a chance. I guess in Los Angeles, 335i sedans are a dime a dozen. I could swap wheels at ever third traffic light around here . You could loan one of your wheels to somebody willing to do the test fitment. Even with the stock struts, I believe you only have 1mm clearance between the wheel and the strut tube. That is easy to measure. As for the brakes, I will go take a look. You could be right. The 325/328/330 had/has the smaller brakes up front.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #27
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
It would still be very helpful for anyone else that ever visits this web site for you to post the pics when you get a chance. I guess in Los Angeles, 335i sedans are a dime a dozen. I could swap wheels at ever third traffic light around here . You could loan one of your wheels to somebody willing to do the test fitment. Even with the stock struts, I believe you only have 1mm clearance between the wheel and the strut tube. That is easy to measure. As for the brakes, I will go take a look. You could be right. The 325/328/330 had/has the smaller brakes up front.
The 330 has the same brakes sport or non, but the 325 has smaller brakes (again, no diff sport vs. non). 328 has same brakes sport vs. non as well, but they are smaller than the 335's.

I've seen probably less than 10 335s in my life, actually on the road. I work in Boston too. I guess they are more prevalent out there. I've never met anyone with one yet, and I run the Boston Chapter's autocross events. I am also a Porsche and SCCA member, and yet to see one at those events too.

I had issues with the diff install on the 332ti, so I wouldn't have even had a chance to swap out the wheels anyway today.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 03:43 PM   #28
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
The 330 has the same brakes sport or non, but the 325 has smaller brakes (again, no diff sport vs. non). 328 has same brakes sport vs. non as well, but they are smaller than the 335's.

I've seen probably less than 10 335s in my life, actually on the road. I work in Boston too. I guess they are more prevalent out there. I've never met anyone with one yet, and I run the Boston Chapter's autocross events. I am also a Porsche and SCCA member, and yet to see one at those events too.

I had issues with the diff install on the 332ti, so I wouldn't have even had a chance to swap out the wheels anyway today.
There are zillions of 325/328/330/335 cars here in NorCal...I see a 335 at least once or twice per day...different ones.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #29
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Definitive word on LTW5 for 335 and 330

Ok. Here we go. I attempted to put the LTW5 w/Advan Neova AD07 255/40/17 on the front of my e90 330i without a spacer. It barely rubbed the strut (but it rubbed) with the tire. Neovas are the widest 255's out there, and are a little more than an inch wider than the stock rear 255 runflat.

As far as the bottom spring perch on the strut, there was about an inch of room above the tire to the perch.

I have a 5mm spacer, and that made the tire clear the strut by about 4mm, but the wheel was still about 6mm away.

I then used my 10mm spacer, and that seemed like the perfect fitiment (as I already knew because I autocross with that setup). The tire just fit under the fender with no rubbing, and no fender rolling.

The reason I bought a 10mm spacer was that with this exact tire/wheel setup, I previously had a 12mm spacer up front and it rubbed the fender occasionally during compression.

Here's the kicker though for you 335 folk. The 17x9 LTW5 wheels will likely not clear your brakes, unless you use the same hanger and just the disc is bigger. RealOEM shows they use different hangars and calipers, so don't count on it.

I have about 3mm of space between the front caliper and the wheel. I'm attaching a pic.

Lastly, since the 335 folk will be using the same offset (ET41) for the 18x9 wheels, the spacers needed will be same as mine (10mm).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 08:18 PM   #30
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Quote:
Ok. Here we go. I attempted to put the LTW5 w/Advan Neova AD07 255/40/17 on the front of my e90 330i without a spacer. It barely rubbed the strut (but it rubbed) with the tire. Neovas are the widest 255's out there, and are a little more than an inch wider than the stock rear 255 runflat.

As far as the bottom spring perch on the strut, there was about an inch of room above the tire to the perch.

I have a 5mm spacer, and that made the tire clear the strut by about 4mm, but the wheel was still about 6mm away.

I then used my 10mm spacer, and that seemed like the perfect fitiment (as I already knew because I autocross with that setup). The tire just fit under the fender with no rubbing, and no fender rolling.

The reason I bought a 10mm spacer was that with this exact tire/wheel setup, I previously had a 12mm spacer up front and it rubbed the fender occasionally during compression.

Here's the kicker though for you 335 folk. The 17x9 LTW5 wheels will likely not clear your brakes, unless you use the same hanger and just the disc is bigger. RealOEM shows they use different hangars and calipers, so don't count on it.

I have about 3mm of space between the front caliper and the wheel. I'm attaching a pic.

Lastly, since the 335 folk will be using the same offset (ET41) for the 18x9 wheels, the spacers needed will be same as mine (10mm).
Thanks a lot for the write-up!

Is 10mm for track work too much? The guy I spoke to at Tirerack recommended nothing bigger than 5mm for the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #31
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb03 View Post
Thanks a lot for the write-up!

Is 10mm for track work too much? The guy I spoke to at Tirerack recommended nothing bigger than 5mm for the track.
Well...I would not recommend anything more than 7mm for track..that being said..I had a 30mm spacer on my old 325i race car...but that was a funky set up. I cannot personally recommend...or not recommend a 10mm spacer for track use. My old E30 325i race car only weighed about 2500 lbs.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 07:37 AM   #32
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Well...I would not recommend anything more than 7mm for track..that being said..I had a 30mm spacer on my old 325i race car...but that was a funky set up. I cannot personally recommend...or not recommend a 10mm spacer for track use. My old E30 325i race car only weighed about 2500 lbs.
Every e36 M3 I've seen on the track at DEs runs a front 10mm spacer. The most common wheel is the Kosei K1 Racing, which requires a 10mm spacer up front.

Do not use a spacer that does not have the hubcentric ring extender on it. Otherwise, you run the risk of this happening. So, definitely do not use a 5mm or 7mm spacer, please. Those are too short to have the hubcentric ring extender on them. I was lucky I only had a blown out rim, and damage on the car that I couold fix. I certainly don't want anybody to repeat what I learned the hard way.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 10:27 AM   #33
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thank you very much for confirming that lni.

I have been testing my sample wheels with a 3mm spacer which doesn't have the ability to be hubcentric. I have found that the stock snout of the hub has enough length that a 3mm spacer does not interfere with a wheel properly sitting on the snout/flange. I tried two 3mm spacers on the same snout and this just allows the wheel to seat on the snout by 1 or 2mm. I don't like this fitment and will agree with you that a 5mm spacer is iffy. Add to this the fact that some wheels have hubcentric reducers and you have very poor contact surface area. I think wheel studs help matters a bit. I believe it really comes down to how long the snout of the hub is. If it is long enought to allow proper engagement of the wheel, than any non-hubcentric spacer will be fine. If the snout is short and a particular spacer does not allow the wheel to engage with enough area, then don't use a non-hubcentric spacer. lni, you are therefore using a 17x9 wheel with an effective offset of 31 which should be a backspace of about 6.125". Care to measure your backspace with the spacer? That would be great if you could when you have a chance.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #34
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I only put the LTW5 wheels on for you guys. :grouphug: I probably won't have them on the car for quite a while again, since I moved them back to the 332ti. When I do, I'll remember to give it a measure though.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #35
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

On a side note. When I put the LTW5s on the e90, I put the style 162s on the 'ti. It's kind of comical how big they look on that car.. like dubs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0