E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E90 Logic 7 Tweeter Question

06-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
norcal330
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

E90 Logic 7 Tweeter Question

Yes, I'm a noob, so please take it easy on me....

I've looked through the threads and I'm still trying to find a definitive answer to help with a potential tweeter upgrade.

I know that the specs show a 2-ohm impedance for the Logic7 speakers. However, there are only 2 wires going to each mid/tweet pair. So doesn't this mean that the mid/tweet combo's are wired in parallel? If this is the case, than aren't these speakers both 4-ohm impedance. this would make it much easier to drop in some decent 4-ohm tweeters...

Has anyone actually upgraded their tweeters only? I know some have upgraded to Morel/Focal, but they also upgraded the amp as well. I'm not looking to tear apart my car, just get better tweeters. I've already done the SWS-8 subwoofer upgrade with a small amp, but now the crappy tweeters stand out even more.

Last edited by norcal330; 06-19-2009 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

From what I remember seeing is that the tweeter is wired in parallel to the mid and there is an in-line capacitor between the mid and the tweeter which acts as an x-over. If you just replace the tweeters, they will undoubtedly play at a different volume level compared to the OEM tweeters due to a difference in sensitivity and/or impedance. Don't do it!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Impedance is a function of frequency. Without explaining it in more detail, a two-way speaker with a crossover doesn't really parallel the way that two drivers without a crossover and playing the same frequencies do.

Lot of info on this on forums like DIYMA.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
norcal330
Private
Rep

I almost wonder if it's worth trying anyways. I'm thinking that a low-power 4-ohm silk dome tweeter might be worth a shot. I'll almost be willing to get less volume if it's clear and un-distorted.

Even after playing around with the Logic 7 settings, the treble is decent but distorts pretty quickly when played loud. I will say that I'm pretty happy with the bass from the Earthquake SWS-8 speakers and alpine amp I just installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
poggy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 318i SE

The logic 7 tweeter definitely has a rating of 4 ohms. See this thread here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=182752&page=9
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Why don't you just try it then? Just be aware that:

- distortion may be due to a lack of power, rather than too much power, so a new tweeter may also "distort" (play a distorted signal)
- each tweeter only gets a few watts from the OEM amp, so don't expect miracles from a driver which was designed to be operated with much more power
- the aftermarket tweeter will likely have a lower sensitivity and therefore play less loud
- the crossover point of the in-line capacitor may be adversely affected (question for VP Electricity)
- Logic 7 processing has been optimized for the OEM speakers only

So in the end you may end up with different sound characteristics, which you may end up liking, but which don't necessarily sound good from an audiophile point of view.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
norcal330
Private
Rep

Hey poggy. Thanks for the info/link. I thought that I had seen every single link with regard to the Logic 7 system, but sure enough, the answer I was looking for is right in that thread. Much appreciated.

I think I will go ahead and experiment. I realize that there may be some adverse effects with an aftermarket tweeter, but then again, you don't know unless you try. I'm not going to go overboard anyways. I will most likely look for a 20-40 watt RMS silk-dome 4-ohm tweeter that might smooth out the high-end a bit.

Thanks guys. I will hopefully report back with some results.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Why is it that "overboard" on this forum always means "more than I am willing to do"?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #9
norcal330
Private
Rep

OK, so I replaced the 2 front tweeters with the following-

RE Audio 1" silk dome tweeter, 45 Watts RMS, 91 db sensitivity, 4-ohm impedance. $40 shipped on fleabay.

Here's my review. I was primarily hoping for a smoother high-end response, but what I got was both a smoother high-end AND a louder, more clear high-end. After installing the driver side tweeter, I did a quick comparison between the new tweeter and the old tweeter on the pass. side. Nothing technical, but just sending the balance to the right-left, right-left, etc. I was pretty surprised to hear the difference in volume between the two. I then sat in the passenger seat and did the same thing. Again, there were times during the same song that you could barely even hear any output coming out of the Logic 7 tweeter, whereas you could hear from the new tweeter clearly, with more volume. I guess the Logic 7 tweeter sounded "veiled", as though something was placed in front if it.

Anyways, if you are so inclined, I think any decent, low-wattage silk-dome tweeter (or even a higher quality metal dome tweeter) would give you a nice improvement in sound quality and volume. The other benefit is that I was able to play around with the tweeter positioning. I pointed them somewhat forward (toward the windshield) and that seemed to open up the sound a bit.

Bottom-line is, I think it worked great and there's no way I'm going back to the "premium" Logic7 tweeters.
Appreciate 1
nvturbo23.00
      06-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
norcal330
Private
Rep

I originally thought I was happy enough just leaving the rear tweets as-is, but I did a quick test this morning, fading everything to the back, and it simply sounded like $hit. I usually fade things to the front (+3), but I had a 2nd pair of RE Audio tweets I bought from ebay. So.....I just did the rear tweeters. 2 hour job. Probably not totally necessary, but still an incremental improvement in sound. Still fading toward the front, but overall sound has improved...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:02 AM   #11
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal330 View Post
I originally thought I was happy enough just leaving the rear tweets as-is, but I did a quick test this morning, fading everything to the back, and it simply sounded like $hit. I usually fade things to the front (+3), but I had a 2nd pair of RE Audio tweets I bought from ebay. So.....I just did the rear tweeters. 2 hour job. Probably not totally necessary, but still an incremental improvement in sound. Still fading toward the front, but overall sound has improved...
do you have links to buy these tweeters?
Appreciate 0